Looking for closed back 2 x 12 guitar cabinet

General, Non-Disc Related Goods for trade/sale.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Looking for closed back 2 x 12 guitar cabinet

Postby black udder » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:36 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:I have a rack unit.

Digitech 2120 into a Carvin TS100. I use a Johnson J12 control pedal to control the Digitech head. Basically, it is the louder, more capable, refined, tube version of my Johnson M150 combo.

After changing the Digitech 2120 preamp tubes to 1960's Sylvania's I have to say I quite pleased with it. The tone is so sweet now. The Carvin unit runs off of 4 EL 34 tubes for the power stage, it has JJ tubes in it. I am interested in seeing how it will sound once I change the 12ax7's over to the Sylvanias also.

Hey Brad, without taking too much time - can you tell me something about the 2120? I've read a little online, but it's out of production, so not a ton of updated info. Is it like an effects unit/amp modeler? Or is it like some of the amps that have a tube pre-amp and then model amps on top of that? I saw a couple videos with folks using it and it looks pretty cool.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:35 pm

the 2120 was the update to the legend II and had 12ax7 preamp tubes.

it was in production from like 1995-1997 or so if i remember correctly.

it's basically a guitar preamp rooted in the rackmount era of the late 80's but updated w/ the hybrid technology of the early-mid 90's. it has the basic effects (chorus/phase/flange/delay/reverb) and can use one of those hugetastic footswitches.

it had a direct recording out but if memory serves, the direct out was pretty weak.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby mzuleger » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:16 pm

black udder wrote:what's pushing the 4x12 Mesa?

Mesa Dual recto rack mount head (I don't know why the stopped making these because they're awesome)

mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby black udder » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:59 pm

mzuleger wrote:
black udder wrote:what's pushing the 4x12 Mesa?

Mesa Dual recto rack mount head (I don't know why the stopped making these because they're awesome)

drool.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:09 pm

No shit...

I have a Carvin TS100 and it is really great. It is a stereo 50/50 tube power amp. I have EL 34's one side and 6L6's on the other. I only use one side at a time with my 4 x12. It sounds much sweeter at 50 watts than it does at the bridged 100 watts (I assume due to the fact that the tube transformer is effectively "coasting" running one channel at a time).

All emulators like the 2120 have compromises, but at least mine has a tube preamp (I added NOS Sylvania tunes to make it really sweet). I think I am getting some wicked tones (and I can do a lot of things at the push of a button that most guys cannot), and I have learned a whole lot about what an EG can do (the 2120 has an 8 band ACTIVE EQ at each distortion module). Good guitar tone is not "flat"... there are definite frequency that get boosted a lot and some that need to go away completely. That is what good amps do, they boost the right frequencies and clip the bad ones.

That all being said but I would love to have a fully modded all tube head... The EVH 5150 III looks very cool (transparent channel switching is insane).

I really like the Genz Benz El Diablo.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby thedudeabides » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:39 am

The end of the world will be televised.
thedudeabides
Noob

Favorite Disc: spider

Postby Blake_T » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:34 am

That all being said but I would love to have a fully modded all tube head... The EVH 5150 III looks very cool (transparent channel switching is insane).

the 5150 iii's have issues and probably the lowest build quality out of any tube amp you can buy new right now. they are known to burst into flames. i don't consider them much of an upgrade (if any) vs. the 5150 or 5150 ii.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:00 pm

"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:23 pm

black udder wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:I have a rack unit.

Digitech 2120 into a Carvin TS100. I use a Johnson J12 control pedal to control the Digitech head. Basically, it is the louder, more capable, refined, tube version of my Johnson M150 combo.

After changing the Digitech 2120 preamp tubes to 1960's Sylvania's I have to say I quite pleased with it. The tone is so sweet now. The Carvin unit runs off of 4 EL 34 tubes for the power stage, it has JJ tubes in it. I am interested in seeing how it will sound once I change the 12ax7's over to the Sylvanias also.

Hey Brad, without taking too much time - can you tell me something about the 2120? I've read a little online, but it's out of production, so not a ton of updated info. Is it like an effects unit/amp modeler? Or is it like some of the amps that have a tube pre-amp and then model amps on top of that? I saw a couple videos with folks using it and it looks pretty cool.

Yes.

It can do all of that. It is basically a tube distortion module, a solid state distortion module, a compression module and a wah hooked to a multi effects processor.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Previous

Return to Garage Sale