SQL Errors

Comments, Questions, Requests, or Suggestions relating to discgolfreview.com

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: SQL Errors

Postby Solty » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:51 am

elnino wrote:Bump back on topic....is this ever going to get fixed....what is the huge issue.....not searching really hurts the site.....so much good info....LOCK AWAY....kind of sad that the issue isn't fixed.

i'm working with a good friend to try to copy over the database....but being so massive....we're having connectivity issues b/c of so many lil pieces...
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:53 am

I got told by the host that if we want the problem resolved, we probably need to move to a different host. :(
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby mobster » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:11 am

Timko wrote:I got told by the host that if we want the problem resolved, we probably need to move to a different host. :(

That sucks.
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby SkaBob » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:18 am

It almost sucks, but it's super easy to do...

There's usually an easy way to backup the whole database, too. If you have shell access, you can use mysqldump to get the data and table structure, and if you only have web access to the hosting (via cpanel or something), there's almost always (always at any host that isn't utter crap, but this host is utter crap) a web front end to backing up the db and downloading the backup.

I think you can download the backup right from the forum's admin section, now that I think about it.

As far as him saying if you want the problem resolved, you have to change hosts, that just shows that the guy doing the hosting is fucking clueless. ONE command in SQL will get that working again, usually...If he's such a godawful hack that he can't even do THAT, it's a GOOD thing that you have to change hosts.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:25 am

The money that I'm making off the PD sales is going toward helping pay for a new host. Hence the reason I'm doing all the shipping myself. Something like $1 to $1.25 per disc.

Your welcome DGR community.
Timko

Postby mobster » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:26 am

Timko wrote:The money that I'm making off the PD sales is going toward helping pay for a new host. Hence the reason I'm doing all the shipping myself. Something like $1 to $1.25 per disc.

Your welcome DGR community.

Now that I know this, I will throw in a few more bucks when I pre-order.
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:34 am

Please don't do that yet. Once the PD order is complete, I'll know how much money we have, and see what the difference to make up is, and ask for donations. It's too complicated for me to sort out right now.
Timko

Postby Solty » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:17 pm

Timko wrote:Please don't do that yet. Once the PD order is complete, I'll know how much money we have, and see what the difference to make up is, and ask for donations. It's too complicated for me to sort out right now.

u think we could get the host to copy the database for us?
Solty

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:11 pm

He told me to do it through cpanel. I think that's what you were doing Mike?
Timko

Postby Mason65 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:14 pm

So I know nothing about operating the interwebs, nor what yall are actually trying to accomplish here, so bear with me...

If it looks like the entire site is being moved/revamped/whatever, could we somehow link it to a equipment reviews section (kinda like *gasp* DGCR,) so we can lay down some disc/bag/basket reviews that are linked to our user name? I know that if somebody wants to learn about the PD they can go to the PD thread, but if a user shares a similar throwing style and skill level another user, he could see that users opinion on a series of discs he has reviewed. So if I like to throw everything flat and get distance drivers over 400', I could click on Discspeed's name and pull up all his reviews, etc?

I don't know how much work that is, or if yall are wanting to achieve here, but I think it could be terribly useful.
Destroyer*XXX*Eagle*Roc*Ion

Golden Retrieved: 18
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby Solty » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Timko wrote:He told me to do it through cpanel. I think that's what you were doing Mike?

every time i try to do it...it times out......thoughts?
Solty

Postby JimW » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:15 am

Moving a big database can be a bitch, I had hell with it when I had to move a big board a few years ago. Think I ended up using a file called bigdump.php to handle it because the cpanel and forum admin panel options for database backup/restoration weren't working.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby SkaBob » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:13 am

Mason65 wrote:So I know nothing about operating the interwebs, nor what yall are actually trying to accomplish here, so bear with me...

If it looks like the entire site is being moved/revamped/whatever, could we somehow link it to a equipment reviews section (kinda like *gasp* DGCR,) so we can lay down some disc/bag/basket reviews that are linked to our user name? I know that if somebody wants to learn about the PD they can go to the PD thread, but if a user shares a similar throwing style and skill level another user, he could see that users opinion on a series of discs he has reviewed. So if I like to throw everything flat and get distance drivers over 400', I could click on Discspeed's name and pull up all his reviews, etc?

I don't know how much work that is, or if yall are wanting to achieve here, but I think it could be terribly useful.

I'd be willing to help out with this. I'm unemployed, and would love some extra stuff on my portfolio while I'm job hunting.

JimW wrote:Moving a big database can be a bitch, I had hell with it when I had to move a big board a few years ago. Think I ended up using a file called bigdump.php to handle it because the cpanel and forum admin panel options for database backup/restoration weren't working.

Can be, but doesn't need to be. The forum's admin section has everything you need to backup the forum database. The cpanel for the hosting account has all the stuff you need for the reviews and whatnot. If either are a problem, if the hosting account includes shell access, mysqldump makes it easy as pie.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Leopard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:51 am

SkaBob wrote:If he's such a godawful hack that he can't even do THAT, it's a GOOD thing that you have to change hosts.

same guy hosts all of Houkc's sites. i had a lot, a lot, a lot of problems with hosting. nice guy tho. just got the impression he was more MA2 than pro

SkaBob knows his shit... just sayin
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Solty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:54 pm

There is some positive communication between a slew of people to find us a new home. Please bear in mind. Thanks everyone for your patience with our hiccups...

Solty
Solty

PreviousNext

Return to Website Comments