Cyclists

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Cyclists

Postby marmoset » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:22 pm

We didn't have a general thread about cycling. Now we do.
Thanks Marmoset!

Feel free to post pictures of your rig or ask questions.
Here's a pic to start things off...
My cheapie tandem, my wife and my dogs. About to go for a warm afternoon ride (last year.)

Anyway, anyone know a good retailer along the lines of Rivendell or Velo Orange? I don't like the sport aspect of cycling anymore, I just do it for commuting, errands, loaded touring, and health. Basically I guess I'd call it lifestyle cycling instead of sport cycling. Apart from the 2 I mentioned, are there any good retailers aimed at this crowd?
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Re: Cyclists

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:33 pm

marmoset wrote:Anyway, anyone know a good retailer along the lines of Rivendell or Velo Orange? I don't like the sport aspect of cycling anymore, I just do it for commuting, errands, loaded touring, and health. Basically I guess I'd call it lifestyle cycling instead of sport cycling. Apart from the 2 I mentioned, are there any good retailers aimed at this crowd?

Good on ya for making this thread! I was actually thinking the same exact thing today and was going to kick one off with a picture of my bike (I'll post one later after I can take a picture).

As far as a website like Riv or Velo I'm not sure. I love reading the articles on the rivendell website as I too am more into the utilitarianism/fun aspect of cycling. I read a funny quote on the Surly website today "I don't race because racism is wrong".

ps. Cool rig. :D

pps. I'm thinking about trying to make the DIY Kitty Litter pannier buckets kinda like this.

ppps. Instructables is an awesome website.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby chiggins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:10 pm

This one's my day-to-day commuter truck.

Here it is before the lambseat and switching saddles. I loved how that Brooks looked, but after a year of it punching me in the taint I finally switched to a WTB. Much happier.

This is the wife's, unfortunately the seat got thrashed in a fall and I haven't built a new one yet.

I ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker when I'm not carrying kids, groceries, and/or discs, it might be the perfect bike. I helped a parent from my kids' school turn one into an Xtracycle and it's the only 700c road-type-bike I think I'd recommend for such a thing. It was awesome.

I'm also building up a Paramount Series 3, a lot like this one, with city bars and thumb shifters for a racer, and there's always a couple mixtes and 3-speeds in the garage in various stages of restoration.

Too many discs, too many bikes, but goddam if they don't all bring a buncha good times to life, ya know?
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby marmoset » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Nice Surlys!
I've been wanting a LHTrucker.

I like my stuff ultra-personalized and I've got the skill set/knowledge base so I'll probably braze up my own.

I'll get some pics of my other bikes soon. I have way waaaay too many.

EDIT: Dig the Schwalbes! Where'd you get them? How many miles do you have on them?
Last edited by marmoset on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:01 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:ppps. Instructables is an awesome website.

Why yes, yes it is.
I get so many ideas from that site. So many projects, so little time.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby chiggins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:08 pm

marmoset wrote:Nice Surlys!
I've been wanting a LHTrucker.

I like my stuff ultra-personalized and I've got the skill set/knowledge base so I'll probably braze up my own.

I'll get some pics of my other bikes soon. I have way waaaay too many.

EDIT: Dig the Schwalbes! Where'd you get them? How many miles do you have on them?

I like the Trucker lots, it's kinda like a cheap Rivendell. The Schwalbe's I ordered online (Fat Franks and Big Apples on the Xtracycles, Marathons no the Trucker). I just replaced the Green Xtracycle's Fat Franks after about 2000 miles or thereabouts. I think they'd last longer on a bike that wasn't carrying as much weight though. The Marathons just won't ever die, love those things.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby The Bird Man » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:03 pm

This is the only pic I have of my collection that I share with my Dad. Growing up he collected wind up record players and about ten years ago he branched out to Bicycles. I can't get him to play disc golf, but I enjoy collecting and restoring old bicycles with my Pops. We probably have over 30 really nice old bikes. Red/Black/Green Phantoms, Krates, two tandem StingRays and many more.
The Bird Man
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm

My Rig.

Everything stock aside from the fenders, pedals, saddle and bell. Once those Conti's wear out I'll replace them with some Schwalbe supremes or big apples (those are wayyyyyy badass Creighton), I've also been kicking around the idea of some new bars (nitto noodles, mustache bars or a cruiserish bar albatross/ north road). The trucker seemed like a huge amount of money up front but I ride the shit out of it all the time and it's soooo smooth so to me it was worth it.

Chiggins, nice work! 3 speeds are awesome, that Paramount is classy to say the least.

Bird Man, wow.

Keep em commin'
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby chiggins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:22 am

Bird Man: Wow! I think I just had a Jimmy Carter lust-in-the-heart moment there. 'Em're some purdy rides you and your pops got goin' on there.

uNicedMeMan: Truckaccino! What a sweet Trucker, love the Grip King pedals. I put a pair on my Xtra, they're comfortable with anything from slippers to boots and they're rebuildable.

I have this dream that one of these days I'll ride the C&O up to Paw Paw and back over the course of a week or so. The ride seems easy enough, it's finding a week to do it that's the hard part.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby marmoset » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:55 am

Pedals are actually one of the main things I'm looking for from those websites. Grip kings are one of the frontrunners on my list.

I am swapping out my clipless. I want to ride in my Chuck Taylors for certain types of riding. Any suggestions? I was thinking about adding toe clips but i've never used them before.
My priorities are:
1 comfort
2 rebuildability
3 smooth bearings
11 price
29 weight

Any thoughts?
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby chiggins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:00 am

MKS Lambdas (aka Grip Kings) meet or exceed your specs! Not at all for the weight conscious, you can find 'em under $40, they're totally rebuildable, and they're fantastic for riding in anything. In one of the Rivendell articles on their site, they get into shoes and pedals, and they like the Grip King / Crocs combo for real-world riding.

I've also got a pair of Wellgo B-18 BMX pedals on another bike. They're sealed bearings, but they're inexpensive, they have a big platform and they grip like hell. They don't have as much platform length-wise as the Lambdas, but they're a fine pedal. I'd think most decent BMX pedals that you'd find around your local shop would provide a solid platform and plenty of grip.

But the Lambdas are really nice. Pick up a pair, give them a shot, and if you don't want them I'll buy 'em from you (or trade some plastic). But I think you'll dig 'em.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:25 am

chiggins wrote:uNicedMeMan: Truckaccino! What a sweet Trucker, love the Grip King pedals. I put a pair on my Xtra, they're comfortable with anything from slippers to boots and they're rebuildable.

Thanks. I had the standard shellac'ed natural cork with hemp twine handle bars for a while and while it looked really great the durability / grip were lacking.

Marmo- I will echo chiggins comments on the Grip King's. They are very long but not super wide so pedal strike isn't much of an issue. As chiggins said, the long length leds the pedals to being super comfy for any type of footwear (although I haven't tried using my vibram 5 fingers yet :shock: ).

I've never had a bike with any sort of attachment system for the pedals and I don't think I will start anytime soon. My knee gets to acting up from time to time and being able to adjust the position my foot really gives it a needed break. It's also quite nice to just hop on the bike with whatever on and go.

chiggins wrote:I have this dream that one of these days I'll ride the C&O up to Paw Paw and back over the course of a week or so. The ride seems easy enough, it's finding a week to do it that's the hard part.

Pick a week and I'm there. Another local disc golfer and I have spoke about this a few times and I can't think of too many cooler things to do. I'll have to upgrade my bike camping arsenal (non existent) but that would be fine with me. After reading the Riv site a million times at work, I'd like to start doing some spontaneous sub 24 hour over night stays from time to time.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby marmoset » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:20 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:I'd like to start doing some spontaneous sub 24 hour over night stays from time to time.

I'm just getting into this myself.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby chiggins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 am

marmoset wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:I'd like to start doing some spontaneous sub 24 hour over night stays from time to time.

I'm just getting into this myself.

Couple times last year we took the kids on the longtails across town and picked up the C&O in Georgetown, rode up past Great Falls to Swain's Lock and camped for the night. It's an easy trip, about 16 miles or so up the path (so less than 25 with the ride across town and through Rock Creek Park). It's pretty fun and a good way to shake out the gear.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 am

Yous guys wanna recommend me a rear rack? I have an ancient blackburn rack on my mt bike but I dunno if it will cut it for the bike camping.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.