Cyclists

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Cyclists

Postby A.Mutt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:18 am

I used to do distance riding, but that stopped once I got my drivers license :oops:
I did rescue my old bike from my pops before he was going to trash it when he moved, and as of a few days ago I got myself most everything I need to do a singlespeed conversion. Going to get to work on it today, and will share pics when I'm done ... cause nobody wants to see a pile of parts from a 10 year neglected bike.
Magic + Challenger + Buzzz + Hornet + Tbird + PD + Valkyrie + Force + Nuke
A.Mutt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S-PD

Postby marmoset » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:44 am

A.Mutt wrote: ... cause nobody wants to see a pile of parts from a 10 year neglected bike.

But but but... those are the best ones!
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:46 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:Yous guys wanna recommend me a rear rack? I have an ancient blackburn rack on my mt bike but I dunno if it will cut it for the bike camping.

I don't know if a rack will hold everything you need for camping. I guess it depends on how minimalist you are.
My suggestion is the BOB trailer
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby chiggins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:53 am

marmoset wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:Yous guys wanna recommend me a rear rack? I have an ancient blackburn rack on my mt bike but I dunno if it will cut it for the bike camping.

I don't know if a rack will hold everything you need for camping. I guess it depends on how minimalist you are.
My suggestion is the BOB trailer

A Trucker and a set of Surly Nice Racks were made for each other if you wanna go the panier route. I really like those BOB trailers though :)

Here's another idea if you're less of a minimalist than that, the Kamp-Rite Bushtrekka. I want one.

chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby marmoset » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:42 am

Suh-WEEEEEEEEEEET!!!
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:47 am

I probably should have mentioned that I got my rear racks from Nashbar when they were on sale for like $6 each. I haven't had a problem with them but I've only used them for commuting and errands. They've been loaded but they've never been LOADED.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby A.Mutt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:12 pm

marmoset wrote:
A.Mutt wrote: ... cause nobody wants to see a pile of parts from a 10 year neglected bike.

But but but... those are the best ones!

well if you insist :wink: when I get to work on it this afternoon I'll take a "before" pic.
Magic + Challenger + Buzzz + Hornet + Tbird + PD + Valkyrie + Force + Nuke
A.Mutt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S-PD

Postby The Bird Man » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:51 pm

Is that camper thing for real? OMG. I need a job, I want that.
The Bird Man
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby chiggins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:37 pm

The Bird Man wrote:Is that camper thing for real? OMG. I need a job, I want that.

Indeed. Bike-camper just got real.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby marmoset » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:03 am

Ha!
Just found this thread...
uNicedmeMan wrote:So I've decided that I need to start doing some sort of routine exercise and that running is definitively not for me...

I'm rooting around on craigslist trying to find something to get for a reasonable price. I will be riding around in the city but would maybe like to get something versatile enough that I could take it to a trail or two.

Also, whats the deal with fixed gear and single speed bikes? When I was in Portland they seemed like all the rage...

Did you get that Tassajara? Or did you go straight fot the LHTrucker? Either way, I'd say you ended up with the perfect bike for your needs.

Have you tried the fixed gears? They're fun but I can't do them for distance riding.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:26 am

Chiggins, uNicedmeMan-
I noticed you are both running the Brooks saddles.
How much maintenance do you have to put into them? Have you noticed oily/greasy spots on your shorts? How long do they take to break in? I've read lots about them but everyone I know that has one just got theirs. They don't have many miles on them.

Also, how comfy is the LHT frame?

I am transitioning from race gunk to comfort stuff.
This is one of my bikes:
10 speed Campy Chorus full grouppo, 53/39 double, 12-18 cassette (it is really mountainy here- I live in the Blue Ridge mountains), Look CX6 pedals, carbon, carbon, carbon everywhere. Selle Italia Flight, Baontrager Race Lite seatpost, and Rolf Prima Vigor wheels. Those wheels are insanely fast- probably my favorite part of the bike. But not comfy at all. Race Lite tires. Other stuff.
The frame is a Raleigh Team made from shaped and butted Columbus Airplane aluminum and Columbus Carve fork and seatstays. The frame was made in the Pinarello factory but painted with the Raleigh team scheme. I got a great deal on it.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby uNicedmeMan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:24 am

marmoset wrote:Did you get that Tassajara? Or did you go straight fot the LHTrucker? Either way, I'd say you ended up with the perfect bike for your needs.

Have you tried the fixed gears? They're fun but I can't do them for distance riding.

Nice thread find and thanks again for your help / advice during that time.

I ended up getting a sweet deal on a used Hardrock with pretty much all xtr components. I commuted / rode that a bunch and decided after much research that I wanted to pickup a Trucker so I did. There was a little buyers remorse early on as it was by far the most I've ever spent on a bike. The buyers remorse faded with time as I ride it every day and it is $$$.

BTW, sweet bike! I've always wanted to try a legitimate road bike on some real smooth pavement. Where did you get cammo bar tape? How much do you weigh? I feel like my 200lb ass would smash those wheels pretty quickly, especially here in Baltimore aka pot hole central. Also, how do you like the brifters?

O and I've yet to try a fixed gear but I wouldn't mind.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby uNicedmeMan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 am

marmoset wrote:Chiggins, uNicedmeMan-
I noticed you are both running the Brooks saddles.
How much maintenance do you have to put into them? Have you noticed oily/greasy spots on your shorts? How long do they take to break in? I've read lots about them but everyone I know that has one just got theirs. They don't have many miles on them.

Also, how comfy is the LHT frame?
[/quote]

I love my Brooks. There are only two thing's I've done to it that I wouldn't have with another saddle: 1) Apply a thin layer of proofide when I first got it and maybe once more and 2) cover it with a plastic grocery bag when it rains. That's all, and I've never noticed any oil/greasy spots on my pants. I know this isn't the norm but my Brooks was comfortable out of the box and has broken in (I've only got an estimated 500 miles or so on it) to the contours of my hind regions perfectly. It's weird, one always assumes that soft = comfy but when soft is causing pressure to your soft parts not only is it uncomfortable but also dangerous. If your planning on building a bike up for comfort / utility, try the brooks.

marmoset wrote:Also, how comfy is the LHT frame?

Very. Baltimore has some shabby roads but the trucker rolls along and absorbs everything thrown at it. It's known as heavy and slow but I don't really think it's either (granted I've never had a bike that was known as light and fast to compare it to). The only thing I wish I had done differently was request that the LBS I bought it from order it with the fork uncut so I could get it cut to my liking. I wouldn't mind getting the handlebars up a little higher without a crazy stem or extender. Any thoughts on good ways to bring the bars up a bit?

Short answer- I love it more with every ride.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby marmoset » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:52 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Nice thread find and thanks again for your help / advice during that time.

No prob, 'swhat I do.

uNicedmeMan wrote:There was a little buyers remorse early on as it was by far the most I've ever spent on a bike.

Same with my Raleigh.

uNicedmeMan wrote:I've always wanted to try a legitimate road bike on some real smooth pavement.

Oh YEAH you do! I've ridden road so much that I almost hate to get knocked around by the off-road stuff. I find out real quickly that on-road spoils you!

uNicedmeMan wrote:Where did you get cammo bar tape?

Cheapie Nashbar stuff. The "gray/black camo" is the stuff I like. I accidentally bought some of their "black/white/grey" one time and it is much smoother, thinner stuff that I don't like nearly as much. The camo tape gives me a big meaty grip to hold onto. Big plus in my book.
uNicedmeMan wrote:How much do you weigh?

160 riding weight. Less than that if I would stop baking cookies. Or develop willpower.
uNicedmeMan wrote:Also, how do you like the brifters?

I have Campy Chorus on that bike and Campy Centaur on my 'cross rig. I like the Campy stuff much more than the Shimano stuff (Ultegra) on my wife's road bike but it really comes down to personal taste. The Campy stuff feels "clunkier" but I like that. The Shimano stuff feels too liquid smooth and too easy to shift. I also like how Campy stuff is rebuildable. You repair Campy, you replace Shimano. Both companies make fabulous stuff that works really well... but how well? Depends on maintenance and tuning. I like the convenience of the brifters. I used downtubes for the longest time and then fell in love with the sexy high-tech shifters. So I got some. I find that I like to move my hands around alot during long rides and downtubes encouraged that. With the brifters I left my hands on the hoods for waaaay too long and usually got a slight numbness. I know I need to adjust my handlebar reach and height but I haven't done it yet. If you don't feel like you have to move your hands around then they might be perfect for you!
uNicedmeMan wrote:O and I've yet to try a fixed gear but I wouldn't mind.

I build an old lugged steel Bianchi Campione d'Italia into a fixie. I have the drivetrain on the left side... really throws people for a loop when they figure that out. Comfiest frame I have EVER ridden! I love it for messing around with and short trips, but I don't like it for longer stuff 'cuz I get worn out too quickly on it. Fixies are both mentally and physically demanding; ther is no coasting and no daydreaming. Especially if you don't install a brake... you have to stay 100% focused the entire time. It's worth trying a friend's but I think people get burned out on them pretty quickly.
I hate that I built mine and now all the college kids are building them... it used to be a much smaller subculture and now it has exploded. I try to stay away from super popular and trendy stuff.
uNicedmeMan wrote:Very. Baltimore has some shabby roads but the trucker rolls along and absorbs everything thrown at it....
Short answer- I love it more with every ride.

Awesome! When I sit down and design my bike I want it to ride just how you just described.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:10 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:I wouldn't mind getting the handlebars up a little higher without a crazy stem or extender. Any thoughts on good ways to bring the bars up a bit?

Without crazy stems or extenders? No, can't think of any graceful ways of doing it... outide of buying an uncut fork or different handlebars. I've seen people rotate their handlebars upward so their brake levers are parallel with the ground. Looks uber goofy but it would give you a perch that's much higher.
You've probably already seen these, but here are the normal ways of doing it:
And here's something else... I have no idea if these bar ends would even fit you bars but in theory it works...
marmoset
King of Calipers

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.