shoes too grippy?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

shoes too grippy?

Postby tigel » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:03 pm

So I've played in basketball shoes the past 8 months. They felt great, had nice grip, I had no reason to get hiking shoes or other more common 'disc golf' shoes. I got a pear of vibram bite shoes for cheap and today when I went to throw I think I almost pulled my ass muscles. Haha.

my foot will NOT pivet, and that energy travels up my leg to my lower back. With my basketball shoes, that had less grip, my foot would rotate clockwise like normal as my body turned. The added grip of the bite shoes doesn't allow for this and I had to take them off to finish throwing.

Is this normal? Is it a thing where I just have to get used to it and my foot will start turning? My back is killing me, and my right ass cheek is on fire. I hope its the shoes and not that prostitute the other night...

Advice/thoughts?
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Re: shoes too grippy?

Postby Jsw » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Interesing topic...

I actually DON'T pivot my plant foot when I throw. And I've always wondered if I was running the chance of injuring myself down the line(seems like it might put a lot of pressure on my forward knee). I guess I could rework my form to include a heel-pivot. Right now if I do a big run-up I tend to just plant, then swing my leg around and jump off of my plant foot instead of spinning on it.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby tigel » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Yeah I also forgot to add my plant knee was getting torn to pieces.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:15 pm

tigel wrote: My back is killing me, and my right ass cheek is on fire. I hope its the shoes and not that prostitute the other night...Advice/thoughts?

Without a double blind study following strict scientific methods it might be difficult to know for sure. To be safe, before your next round switch to MIDDLE AGED HOOKERS. Please report back on your progress.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Redisculous » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:37 am

It may just be that the grippier rubber of your new shoes is showing you that you are not up on the balls/heel of your pivot foot enough. If you're certain that isn't it, I would just wear em everywhere for a week or so to get them nicely broken in/worn down and see if that makes a difference.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury