Trying to Perfect Technique

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Trying to Perfect Technique

Postby DGFlyGirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:47 am

Hi all-

I feel like a serious minority on the chat boards, so be nice to the new girl!

I've been dabbling with disc dyeing for a while now, and it's gotten some attention at the local courses. Not only do I have people asking me to dye discs for them, but the smaller tournaments have asked me if I would be interested in dyeing tournament stamps and prize discs for them.

I will be making the plotter investment shortly (it's nice to have connections in the sign-making industry. I'm getting a used plotter for next to nothing in a couple weeks), and I wanted to post a couple pictures of my hand-cut, single color dyes.

Also, if anyone would be willing to engage me in a discussion about multi-color dyes, I would appreciate the direction. I have my own dye formula pretty much figured out, but I'm nervous about embarking on a multi-colored venture until I have a better sense of how it works.

In addition, I am more than willing to take orders for custom-dyed discs. I work with a local disc golf shop that provides me with any disc in any color (and is even willing to special order for me), so feel free to PM me with any questions, or e-mail me at schwartz.kathryn@gmail.com.

Thanks all!

- These dyes are on 175g crystal champ Destroyers-

- This is a 163g cloudy/clear QJLS -

DGFlyGirl
Noob

Favorite Disc: 162g LS

Re: Trying to Perfect Technique

Postby DGFlyGirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:49 am

So, I have no idea if those pictures are showing up or not....lol. If not, here's the link to my Flickr page, which lists them all as well. Only the blue tribal is not a destroyer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48810514@N07/
DGFlyGirl
Noob

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 am

Well what do you want to know about Multi colored dyes?
Ask away
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby DGFlyGirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:57 am

Because I am getting a plotter, I know that I will be able to do more complex work and utilize different colors.

I also know that I have to work from darkest color to lightest color. However, my concern is that, after I pull the first pieces of vinyl and start the first color, the other cuts I have made in the vinyl will bleed. Must I cover the rest of the design while I dye each color?

In addition, if I dye black, then blue, then yellow, will the yellow turn the blue dye green? Should I be covering or remasking in this instance as well?

Also, I have only ever used a 'dipping' method - flipping the disc upsidown in a pot of steaming Rit, though I have seen people on here make mention of using a thicker rit mixture and painting it on. Is the color as consistent as liquid when done that way?

I know these are a lot of questions, but there's only so much a tutorial guide can mention!
DGFlyGirl
Noob

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:32 pm

DGFlyGirl wrote:Because I am getting a plotter, I know that I will be able to do more complex work and utilize different colors.
I also know that I have to work from darkest color to lightest color. However, my concern is that, after I pull the first pieces of vinyl and start the first color, the other cuts I have made in the vinyl will bleed. Must I cover the rest of the design while I dye each color?

If all of your image is completely cut out when you're doing your first color, the only bleeding you should get is the lines between the cuts will get each color you die. Quick example...Captain America shield. Red and blue dye on a white disc.
You cover the white star in the middle with vinyl and several of the outside rings that will be white.
Dye your blue first since it's darker. Next you need red, but you'll have to cover the blue back up because if you don't your blue is going to turn into Blue + Red. Which Im not sure what that is on the color wheel, but it could be a blood stained brownish red.

If you were doing a 2 color design with Black and any other color, it's easy. Do the black first and then your other color second. The 2nd color is going to dye over the black, which'll just make it darker. You should haven't problems with bleeds if your cut lines are all smooth and precise, and considering you pressed all the edges firmly onto the disc.

DGFlyGirl wrote:In addition, if I dye black, then blue, then yellow, will the yellow turn the blue dye green? Should I be covering or remasking in this instance as well?

Yes, this is subjective, but you will need to cover them if they are lighter colors. I've done some LSU dyes doing purple first, and then just going ahead and doing yellow on top of the purple. The purple changed a little, but it wasn't really dramatic because I left it in the pan just long enough to let the yellow absorb and show up on the disc. I didn't let the yellow absorb and be super intense, thus changing the purple too much from the original intention.
If you're talking about lighter colors (Yellows, light blues, light greens)... Then yes, remasking is the best way to preserve the intended color you're aiming for for doing a multi colored dye.

DGFlyGirl wrote:Also, I have only ever used a 'dipping' method - flipping the disc upsidown in a pot of steaming Rit, though I have seen people on here make mention of using a thicker rit mixture and painting it on. Is the color as consistent as liquid when done that way?

You can use whatever works for you. Some ppl use dye mixed with dishwashing detergent to thicken it up. I've done some hand painted dyes with acetone and straight rit before. It's a little runny, but it's controllable. Also, you have to be careful with using acetone with your mix because if it's too strong it'll start to eat at your vinyl masking for your dye outline. It'll pull the edges away from the disc and that perfect edge that your masking is preserving is compromised.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DGFlyGirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Acid, thanks for the help. I'll be testing out the multi-colors in the next couple days, starting with black + color and finishing with three or more.

I was hoping that rit+acetone (or detergent) mixture would at least work passably well. More than anything I would like to use it for touch-ups, detailing, and spaces that could use color, but not enough for a full dip.

Any guesses as to how long dye miixtures can keep? I've read that people store their dyes, but how long do they stay useful?
DGFlyGirl
Noob

Postby DGFlyGirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Ok, I found a way to post the pictures.... My bad for trying to use Flickr incorrectly!

- These are all 175g champ Destroyers -

- 163g Cloudy/Clear QJLS -

DGFlyGirl
Noob

Postby chiggins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:46 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:Also, you have to be careful with using acetone with your mix because if it's too strong it'll start to eat at your vinyl masking for your dye outline. It'll pull the edges away from the disc and that perfect edge that your masking is preserving is compromised.

Question about this: Would using something dilute (like nail polish remover) work and be lower risk? Or does it have to be full strength acetone?
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:47 pm

I've been using the same black, blue, red, yellow, gold, and purple for nearly 9 months.
Just add water here and there when I have to do big batches of dyes all in a row and I turn up the heat a little more than usual to get the dyes to absorb faster.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:52 pm

chiggins wrote:
AciDBatH666 wrote:Also, you have to be careful with using acetone with your mix because if it's too strong it'll start to eat at your vinyl masking for your dye outline. It'll pull the edges away from the disc and that perfect edge that your masking is preserving is compromised.

Question about this: Would using something dilute (like nail polish remover) work and be lower risk? Or does it have to be full strength acetone?

I use acetone because it's what I started doing dyes with. You could put it in something else and dilute it. But I know for a fact that when I put some rit crystals in some acetone and brush it into a disc, I get the exact texture I'm looking for. It's not great for some things, but when I wanna brush on some colors in small spots it's what I do. Everyone is different tho. Try things out. Me and Chuck and some other ppl on here are always telling ppl to try it out, and tell everyone on the forum what your results are.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16335
There's a Pink Floyd one I did strictly with acetone and rit.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:06 pm

omggurls
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby dgdave » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Hey! I'm a Normanite too. Will you be at the throwdown?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby DGFlyGirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:36 pm

dgdave wrote:Hey! I'm a Normanite too. Will you be at the throwdown?

I absolutely will be! I'll be playing Open and will also probably be one of the few women playing. Look for long dark hair, and it's probably me :D
DGFlyGirl
Noob

Postby DGFlyGirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:37 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote: I use acetone because it's what I started doing dyes with. You could put it in something else and dilute it. But I know for a fact that when I put some rit crystals in some acetone and brush it into a disc, I get the exact texture I'm looking for. It's not great for some things, but when I wanna brush on some colors in small spots it's what I do.

Do the crystals dissolve? If not, do you try and only use the dyed water, or do you scoop crystals too? (I know it's a nit-picky question :) )
DGFlyGirl
Noob

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:25 pm

DGFlyGirl wrote:
AciDBatH666 wrote: I use acetone because it's what I started doing dyes with. You could put it in something else and dilute it. But I know for a fact that when I put some rit crystals in some acetone and brush it into a disc, I get the exact texture I'm looking for. It's not great for some things, but when I wanna brush on some colors in small spots it's what I do.

Do the crystals dissolve? If not, do you try and only use the dyed water, or do you scoop crystals too? (I know it's a nit-picky question :) )

I get it all on the disc. Crystals and all. Some of it dissolves, some doesnt. When I do this kind of brush on technique (Not very often, I've done about 200 dyes and only 4-5 have been brush on), i just put a little bit of rit in a small container, and put a small amount of acetone in it. The acetone will eventually evaporate, so technically you could just keep putting acetone in your container each time you'd want to use that color.
It's not going to give you a solid color tho. You'd have to make a lot of passes to stain your dye on to make it look smooth. But for small things it's just my preferred technique. It's not for everyone. But I'm experienced with how fast it works, and what mistakes not to make. It's a trial and error thing.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Disc Artwork