Am I losing power?

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Am I losing power?

Postby JR » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:01 am

You're welcome! That footage from last summer has the run direction, foot placement and final step length plus knee bend that you want. The only thing I'd change there was to push more rotationally to pivot better to the right instead of stepping through that may require more muscle tension in stiffening the right leg so that your knee won't bend and throw you forward instead of rotation to the right. And adding more speed.

Try to see how fast you can run and not suffer in form. That's your decision line on a medium tight or tighter fairway vs distance. Anything longer and you need to decide if you want to push by trying to go farther or if you're content with sure placement with good, not maximum, distance. In an open place feel free to rip it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Kamehame » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 am

Okay, got to fields again yesterday and tried out some of the new techniques I´ve been advised here. Shortening the last step is a pain... Also tried the stepping right and I have to say it worked out somewhat.. I think I got faster pivot from it but I was only getting these huge hyzer shots. Even though this will help me in the future making those hyzer-shots, I´m wondering should I be able to make flat shots with the same foot placing(right) as well?
Kamehame
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hysteria

Postby JR » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Other reasons beside the leg placement can cause a hyzer so without seeing it's hard to say. To much right placement will force you hyzer so you need to find the proper placement for flat releases between anny and hyzer. Every 5 cm counts here. The optimum placement for flat releases is small. One reason for Blake favoring hyzers for placement. To be accurate with flat shots they need to be perfect to less than a degree deviation from horizontal or the disc can wind up several meters off course.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Kamehame » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 am

I think I´ve got my last step a bit more to the right now so the step is somewhat straight now rather than to the left. I added some videos again, one with normal speed and one from above. The above video is more like a test run to see if it's any good, but I think it's a refreshing point of view.

Normal speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vooRAy4sGe8

Above
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpd2HjKlObY
Kamehame
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:20 am

Edited to remove a mistake.

You're running from rear left to front right and the legs are positioned for a mild hyzer. Check my reply from today to jori at keskustelu.frisbeeliitto.com in the pimp my drive thread. Your final step length is for a faster run up and a harder left leg push while keeping the left leg on the ground with the sole side so that the push moves you weight forward instead of slipping on the side of the shoe toward the right. In the above video you bring the disc to the left pec when the chest points 70 degrees away from the target. That forces you to pull from farther away and the disc is far away from the right pec robbing power of the late acceleration. The disc should come to the left pec when the torso is 90 degrees away from the target.

I'd still move the right leg 10-15 cm right and tilt at the waist forward so that you stop throwing nose up and high with stalls. In this respect the side view did not look pretty.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Kamehame » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks again for the reply JR.

I think more time and repetition will be needed to intergrate these chances to my throw. But I have a question about the nose down issue. I can throw nose down but the problem is that I get these really low shots(or rapidly falling) that usually land way before they are ment to. So I´m usually throwing as horizontal as I can. I´ve measured my disc speed to around 102km/h is that too slow for a disc to keep it going?

What's throwing nose down really about? Are there some discs that are better to be thrown nose down, should I aim higher when doing this? I tried to find tutorial for this but they all seemed more like for a thrower who has just begun and throwing those high hyzer shots.

Or maybe I should start a new thread about this?
Kamehame
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:31 am

Congratulations! You have enough muscle power in the arm to keep the disc nose down then. Definitely throw higher. The idea is like throwing down below the horizon from a hill top. once you throw high and have the front of the disc lower than the rear the disc gets free distance increase thanks to gravity. 102 is great! I'd think that you may have pushed the disc too far wrist down or had more weight forward compared to the latest side view video. That was seriously nose up weight back.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Kamehame » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:27 am

Indeed you are correct. I tried to keep a little more weight on the back in order not to run through the throw. These were recorded a few mins back which gave me this idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vml1AriQFVE

I had only been trying those insanely high anhyzer shots with nose down, after I read it somewhere that the disc would accelerate after reaching the top thus making it go really far. But this was only for very inaccurate use...

I´ve really been clueless about what to do with this nose down thing. I can somewhat do it but have no use for it, hmm... This higher lane with nose down sounds very nice!

Yet again, thank you for your repetitive answers JR!
Kamehame
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:54 pm

There is middle ground between max D 20m+ high throws and ow line drives that still get a lot of glide and distance when front down. Anny is the easiest to throw hyzerflip to anny next then the difficult part is a world of its own: High for golf say 10-14 m hyzer flip to flat laser straight front down flight. You may have the wrist strength to keep the wrist and thus the front down for all of these styles as long as you move the weight forward.

The way to get height is to throw fast while moving the arm from a low reach back say just above the knee to high at the rip say face or even higher level. If you use a disc you can flip to flat while high the disc rises naturally more as long as it is hyzered so you get an extra height benefit. Usually flippable discs aren't among the hardest fading so using those helps in maximizing lift therefore glide because the disc is horizontal longer.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Video Critique