Cyclists

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Cyclists

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:58 pm

Jsw wrote:Hey, looking to pick up a bike this summer. Something to just take to the beach for cruising back and forth to the beach or grabbing a six pack.

I'm thinking a single speed road bike would suit me just fine, as I could cruise on it - as well as get places with some haste(I feel like the wicked witch of the west on a "beach cruiser" :lol: )

Any suggestions on an inexpensive model? I was told a Motobecane Messanger was a decent grab at around $300.

Thanks

The motobecane looks pretty cool but I think you and your wallet would do better with some sort of craiglist dealio. A quick search netted me this which is 1/3 the cost of the messenger and comes with a rack which you can easily lash a basket to to carry your items.

If the ocean in question is ocean city (or likely any other large ocean town) there is a good chance inebriated amateurs could vandalize/damage/steal your bike and I'm sure you would rather loose $100 than $300.

That said, $300 isn't too much to spend on a bike but spending more (+/- $1000) will get you a much better bike than the motobecane. What I did was watch CL until I found something that was my size at a decent price, checked with some knowledgeable folk (marmo) and picked it up. After riding for a while I was able to better decide on exactly what I wanted out of a bike and saved my lunch money for a while to buy it.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby chiggins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:chiggins- Does your neighbor Andy ride anymore? He told me he used to be a bike messenger down in South America or something. Can you comment on your schwalbe's a little bit? Did you have the stock Continental's before?

Ha! I called him the other night, and he was on his way home from Wonderland, tipsy, and just had the back wheel of his Trek 930 stolen (which he was laughin' about). So he's on his road bike now. But he says right now the three things he's focused on are: trying like hell to teach DC's kids, playin as much disc golf as he can, and pu-- engaging in intimate relations with anyone that'll let 'im. So I think he's riding more fun transportation at this point.

Jsw wrote:Hey, looking to pick up a bike this summer. Something to just take to the beach for cruising back and forth to the beach or grabbing a six pack.

I'm thinking a single speed road bike would suit me just fine, as I could cruise on it - as well as get places with some haste(I feel like the wicked witch of the west on a "beach cruiser" :lol: )

Any suggestions on an inexpensive model? I was told a Motobecane Messanger was a decent grab at around $300.

Motobecane USA isn't the old French company that made road bikes, they're one of the BikesDirect brands made by Kinesis. I think Performance sells some of their other brands too. If it's a beater you're after though, it sure seems like $300 well spent on a used bike could get you something better than anything you can get new for that.

For the beach or pickin' up some barley sodas, whether or not you go with a road bike, I wouldn't get anything that can't take a practical tire (for me that's between 28c-42c, but I'm a big fan of 60mm balloons too). I just think that unless you really want a beating, and some folks do, then a bike that's rough on you is a bike you won't wanna ride for fun.

For that kinda duty, I'd pick up an old 800 or 900 series Trek hardtail mountain bike, or if you can find a mid-90's steel RockHopper or Stumpjumper or something that's made out of reasonably light steel, and then put 2" slicks and some North Road bars on it. Plenty of fast, they can be outfitted for comfort, and if you get an itch to be a hooligan and do some whompin' on the neighbors lawn you can totally do that.

Or, you can get the ultimate beer bike. I totally want one of these, I just can't justify it. Also: Schwinn 3-speeds, Varsity's, Le Tours, etc make awesome beater bikes.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby marmoset » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Its already been said but you'll get much more bang for the buck by shopping used bikes.
Bikes traditionally don't hold their value well. Use this to your advantage.
But avoid the guys who think their stuff is made from gold.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby chiggins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:42 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Can you comment on your schwalbe's a little bit? Did you have the stock Continental's before?

Schwalbe: more expensive up front, but they're a great ride and last a lonnnnnng time. My LHT came with 32c Panaracer Paselas, which are fine tires, but I wanted the Marathon 35's. If I were gonna do it again, I'd go with the 38's, but I'm 2k miles into those and they aren't wearing out. They're not even wearing down. So it may be a few years before I get a chance to try 'em.

The other thing about Schwalbes is that they make a version that's pretty much bullet-proof, so if you roll through a lot of glass and you don't care so much about weight, they're The Tire to have. I have the regular ones on my Trucker, but the Plus version has the Smart Guard.

Both Xtras have Schwalbes too: the Karate Monkey has Big Apple 60's, and the Green Xtra has Creme Fat Frank 60's. You cannot help but love life when you're rolling on those things, highly recommend. They all have that reflective ring around them too, when light hits you from the side at night, you light up like neon.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:25 pm

chiggins wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:chiggins- Does your neighbor Andy ride anymore? He told me he used to be a bike messenger down in South America or something. Can you comment on your schwalbe's a little bit? Did you have the stock Continental's before?

Ha! I called him the other night, and he was on his way home from Wonderland, tipsy, and just had the back wheel of his Trek 930 stolen (which he was laughin' about). So he's on his road bike now. But he says right now the three things he's focused on are: trying like hell to teach DC's kids, playin as much disc golf as he can, and pu-- engaging in intimate relations with anyone that'll let 'im. So I think he's riding more fun transportation at this point.

Nothing seems to get that guy down, he is always smiling.

chiggins wrote:Or, you can get the ultimate beer bike. I totally want one of these, I just can't justify it. Also: Schwinn 3-speeds, Varsity's, Le Tours, etc make awesome beater bikes.

Too cool.
Last edited by uNicedmeMan on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:53 am

chiggins wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:Can you comment on your schwalbe's a little bit? Did you have the stock Continental's before?

Schwalbe: more expensive up front, but they're a great ride and last a lonnnnnng time. My LHT came with 32c Panaracer Paselas, which are fine tires, but I wanted the Marathon 35's. If I were gonna do it again, I'd go with the 38's, but I'm 2k miles into those and they aren't wearing out. They're not even wearing down. So it may be a few years before I get a chance to try 'em.

The other thing about Schwalbes is that they make a version that's pretty much bullet-proof, so if you roll through a lot of glass and you don't care so much about weight, they're The Tire to have. I have the regular ones on my Trucker, but the Plus version has the Smart Guard.

Both Xtras have Schwalbes too: the Karate Monkey has Big Apple 60's, and the Green Xtra has Creme Fat Frank 60's. You cannot help but love life when you're rolling on those things, highly recommend. They all have that reflective ring around them too, when light hits you from the side at night, you light up like neon.

I've been farting around with the idea or picking up either Marathons, Marathon Supreme or Big Apples for a while now. The 37mm Continental Travel Contact are definitely holding it down so far but I wouldn't mind something a bit bigger/cushier. If I get the Big Apples, I'll have to bag my pretty sks fenders and my work clothes might get debris all over em but I'll probably be rocking a perma-grin by the time I get in.

According to Rivendell the Marathon 47mm is effectively a 41mm when mounted to a 22mm rim. According to Surly the Trucker can fit up to 40mm tyres with fenders, bummer.

If I'm dropping the fenders there is no doubt I'm grabbing the Big Apples, but idk if I can drop the fenders. :( :( :( :(
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby chiggins » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:27 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:If I'm dropping the fenders there is no doubt I'm grabbing the Big Apples, but idk if I can drop the fenders. :( :( :( :(

No no, keep the fenders. As BikeSnob says, "they're not just for rain, they're filth prophylactics."

They do make smaller Big Apples, but I'd say go with a 38 or 42 Marathon and see how that goes if you're going bigger. But I'd think those Contis would be great tires until they're done. 37's are a nice spot between zippy and comfy and Continentals are great tires!
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby savestheday » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:58 am

Here's my Fuji she's perfect.
savestheday
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: destroyer, pole cat

Postby chiggins » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:32 am

savestheday wrote:Here's my Fuji she's perfect.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Purdy bike! I even like the pie-plate. :)

I heard a story from another bike geek about the old style brake levers with the cables coming out the tops. Something to the effect of the more streamlined ones not doing so well in France for a long time, because they used the spot between the brake lever mounts and the cables to carry baguettes, and it doesn't work with newer hidden-cable levers. Clearly, they have their priorities straight.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby cmlasley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Whoever posted the link to that Swobo Folsom (I can't even find the link in this thread now), have you ridden one? That bike really piques my interest:

I love the idea of no tuning and no non-essentials for my 1-mile commute to work. One essential for me, however, is fenders. Do you think I can get some to go on that bike?

If not, another suggestion in that price range with similar features?
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby chiggins » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:24 pm

cmlasley wrote:I love the idea of no tuning and no non-essentials for my 1-mile commute to work. One essential for me, however, is fenders. Do you think I can get some to go on that bike?

Swobo is very much about real-world riding, I'd be surprised if it didn't have mounts for fenders. In fact, my guess is that you'd be able to order them off the site with the bike.

One of the awesome things about the site is the LiveChat help. Hop on the site, pop it up, and ask away!
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby marmoset » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 pm

cmlasley wrote:One essential for me, however, is fenders. Do you think I can get some to go on that bike?

Yes, you ahould be able to get standard fenders on there. There are non-standard styles to fit oddball bikes if the need arises. One way or another you should be able to get some.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:52 pm

savestheday wrote:Here's my Fuji she's perfect.

Why yes, yes she is :D
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 am

I gotta get over to my moms house to pickup the blackburn rack I left there, then I think I'll grab the Wald 582 folding rear basket. Anyone have any experience with these?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby savestheday » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm looking for a new mountain bike or a ATB. whats a good bike between 600-850 dollars?
savestheday
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: destroyer, pole cat

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.