Just an observation

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Just an observation

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:16 am

Ive noticed discraft slowly replacing every disc in my bag. It was a gradual change from innova to discraft, I still carry a couple innova discs but the change has been coming.

Much like this
firebird-predator
Orc-Avenger
Valk-Flash (soon spectra?)
teebirds-cyclones
rocs-buzzz's
cobras-z glide
avairs-banger gt's

I still carry a sidwinder and a wraith
and am using a dx firebird until i get a new z predator, however i am liking how the firebird is wearing down...

I also noticed something else. I have 4 aces, and they were all discraft discs! the strange thing is most of these aces happend while carrying mostly innova
1st Z flash, 2nd Z XS, 3rd X Buzzz, 4th X cyclone (not to mention the banger gt hits metal more often than any other disc ive owned...)

I really dont want to start an argument on brands, I think they all have benifits and all defintely have great discs. Whenever any brand has a disc that plays to my throwing style the best I will throw it. My to try list always is full of other brands.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Mark Brunner » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:52 am

I would have the opposite that happend to me a year or so ago.

I started out playing with more discraft, MRV/XS/Magnet/Storm/Wasp, and just never got the consistency and feel that I wanted from those discs and found more of what I wanted in Innova. I think its silly unless your sponsored to stick to one brand without even considering another. I still like to try the new discs from discraft and I even like to throw some of gateways stuff now but none of it will make my bag.

I think I get to a certain point and there really will not be much replacing from here on out. The only disc I can see changing for me will be my wide open, high speed driver, previous was the Orc, now its the wraith.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:08 am

i dont know if its something subconscious or what but ive seen alot of people throw mostly one brand. Sure its easy to believe a single brand may have better morals or buisness ethics, and want to support them for that, however believeing one company is superior to others, and they are the only company that makes good discs is crazy. Its funny the more brand conscious guys that Ive played with watch me throw 90% discraft for a whole round (generally my wraith and firebird get thrown once a round) they as was that an innova you just threw? that almost looked like an innova disc, it hada pretty flight, or I thought you were a discraft guy?
then toward the end of the round they notice im carrying a innova deluxe tour bag... and have to point out that I know im wrong throwing discraft and have to hide them in an innova bag, or that i am tainting the bag, lol! I even had one guy say after beating me by a stroke... If you threw innova I think you could beat me...

oh well. All my discs have custom dyes on them right now. I think every new discraft disc I get, Im going to dye the word INNOVA right across the front.
Then I would create a bit of disc envy throwing my "Champion Rocs" (z wasps) and then they would get really pissed that I took the stamp off a collectors disc. And I would just laugh. "I just wanted all my discs to match"
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Smyith » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:43 pm

i find myself not so much stuck on an overall brand but brand by disc type (i.e. driver, putter, etc.). i think its more just how each designer designs their discs to be thrown. innova, discraft, gateway, and etc. all design their discs with a specific throwing angle and such. i think wha happens is that u find a brand that you naturally throw at the right angle and that ends up being what you seem to like.

anyway i found i like innova driver the most. midrange i like the dga hawkeye but the roc is very similar but hawkeye is better. and wizards for putting.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:31 pm

as for feel/comfort, manufacturers have design trends that will become familiar, most noticeably amongst drivers.

as for what people choose... i find very few people know multiple manufacturer's lines well enough to make a good choice. for the people that do know all the lines well, they see that nearly everyone has the same discs and it's a matter of picking what you like best out of overlap/substitutes.

what i can say is that no single manufacturer has the "best" disc in every category you will want to have in your bag.

throwing style dictates a lot of manufacturer selection as each of them excel at certain types of discs.

understable drivers = innova/millennium
overstable drivers = discraft/dga
beginner friendly = lightning
etc.

there's only a handful of discs out there i would say has no substitute from a different manufactuer.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

brand favoritism

Postby twmccoy » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:17 pm

My bag seems to constantly be evolving too, but I still throw both innovas and discrafts.

Orc/flash/crush to Wraith/ champ starfire
Beast to pro starfire
Avenger- I like this disc alot, but it isn't replacing anything.
Champ teebird to flick
Glide to panther
Buzz- all time king. I won't replace this with anything out there right now.

I still have huge inventories of orcs, flashes and beasts, but don't throw them as much as I used to.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:42 am

I think most of it is personal preference. The same reason I choose Addidas over Nike (other than growing up, I could wear them for several years where Nike wore out in 1).

The way I came about being more of a Discraft person was from when I started. I was out on the course with one disc, and some Discraft sponsored people would let me try their stuff and often keep one or two of them. I have a cyclone, cyclone 2, magnet, mrx (or is it mrv, I get them confused), xs, and xl that were given to me. At the time, Innova was easier to get at Academys, but I would be buying a disc without trying it. It wasn't the free stuff that was most important, but the, "here try this," attitude that the Discraft guys have.

I'm not sure that they were sponsored, but the Innova guys did just the opposite. I felt like a kid getting griped at by his parents for throwing Discraft. I was using an old backpack at the time, and they liked going through my stuff to complain about it, which I have never understood.

I currently am more of a Discraft person though I throw the wraith and demon & wizard from Gateway. I try out all the Innova discs that come out, yet I don't find them to be THAT much better (if better at all) than their Discraft equivalents: wraith being the exception and maybe the stingray.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Just an observation

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:45 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:

I haven't found any equivalent (yet) to the wraith. I've been told it's a first run crush or an avenger, but I can't get the distance + accuracy with anything else that I get with a wraith.

As far as sidewinder, I replaced it with a slipstream g.t. I may just start beating up a dx stingray though the slipstream is much longer.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Why one brand?

Postby trogdor » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:16 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:i dont know if its something subconscious or what but ive seen alot of people throw mostly one brand.

One reason I carry more of one brand than any other is that the manufacturers each have their own flight ratings.

It's easier for me to compare a Monster to a Beast or a Predator to a Flash by the ratings than it is to compare a Monster to a Flash by the manufacturer's ratings. Perhaps "Joe's [Blake's] flight chart" will help in this.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:03 am

blakes chart is great. And if all else fails, try everything ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:40 am

The only way I can compare different company products is to throw them back to back.

I did this a couple of years back with the flash/crush and orc/beast. If I remember correctly, a crush was like an orc and a flash was similar to a beast.

Granted others disagree. To actually see if an avenger is like an orc, I would have to throw them back to back for an hour or so( and I don't currently have an orc).

When I throw an avenger and a wraith, I do NOT get similar results. The wraith is waaaay longer (damned I sound like an American snowboarder) and comes back if turned over; in fact, I turn it over on purpose, knowing it will come back for max D. This is not the case with the avenger, which does not come back if turned over on purpose.

OOPS! Got off topic again....See underlined section for the short answer.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:38 am

My drivers consist mainly of Innova. When I started driving correctly and buying multiple discs, the Teebird was great for me, so I decided to stick with Innova thinking that I would retain the same "feel" throughout my drivers. I do have a Predator and an Express in the bag for now tho.

My mids are all Discraft since Z-Wasps are a lot easier to come by than a Champ Roc.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Re: Just an observation

Postby Pagan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:Ive noticed discraft slowly replacing every disc in my bag. It was a gradual change from innova to discraft, I still carry a couple innova discs but the change has been coming.

Much like this
firebird-predator
Orc-Avenger
Valk-Flash (soon spectra?)
teebirds-cyclones
rocs-buzzz's
cobras-z glide
avairs-banger gt's

and am using a dx firebird until i get a new z predator, however i am liking how the firebird is wearing down...

I also noticed something else. I have 4 aces, and they were all discraft discs! the strange thing is most of these aces happend while carrying mostly innova
1st Z flash, 2nd Z XS, 3rd X Buzzz, 4th X cyclone (not to mention the banger gt hits metal more often than any other disc ive owned...)

I really dont want to start an argument on brands, I think they all have benifits and all defintely have great discs. Whenever any brand has a disc that plays to my throwing style the best I will throw it. My to try list always is full of other brands.

Same for me. My first Xs was bought used as a "disposable disc" for a few water holes on our local course. After a few throws it replaced the wraith I used to throw as a primary... Eventually the others were replaced by discraft products...

I'm not making any discouraging remarks to Innova products. I just like the Discraft discs I have better. I preffer Elite Z to champ..

TTFN
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Mark Brunner » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:49 pm

And yet discraft has such a small market share compared to Innova :)

I just recently changed my bag over to gateway, I just fell in love with their product. Not enough people give them a chance.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:13 pm

Mark Brunner wrote:And yet discraft has such a small market share compared to Innova :)

I just recently changed my bag over to gateway, I just fell in love with their product. Not enough people give them a chance.

After really liking the demon and wizard, I was trying to give Gateway a chance, but I got terrible customer service from them. And, the companys that carry Gateway rarely had the discs I wanted to try (blaze, illusion, sabre) in stock.

So, Discraft it is with occasional Innova.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion