It's on Bi**hes

Official Announcements about the DGR site

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: It's on Bi**hes

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:12 am

The point of it is to help open the hips (fast) I assume?

no. it is to help the hips open in a way that fully contributes to the throw.

Also, Blake you said you weren't trying to make the putt nose down, but I always thought a nose down putt would be more likely to stay in the basket whether it hits the side chains, rim of the basket, or dead center. I haven't used it much when putting into the wind, but otherwise I liked it.

1-5 degrees of nose down = okay in most conditions... but... every 1 degree of nose down will subtract like 1-1.5' off the putter carry. a nose down putt will kick down off the chains better and reduce bounce out, but any putt that is on a downward trajectory will behave similarly.

in terms of apexing, try to peak them in the 60-70% range, as that will yield more makes than apexing them at 50%.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby masterbeato » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:46 am

putting is easy

just not for me
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby sunspot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:34 pm

Jones wrote:The drill that helped me most (besides putting) was this:

The drill consists of standing with both feet facing back and the disc at my chest with the rim opposite of my hand actually touching my body. The foot placement is last part of x-step. I turned facing back with my torso cranked so to speak. I then started the throwing motion. Slowly turning on my right foot and pressing off the back, and right after pushing off the back foot, turned my upper body and around (throwing motion).

You ought to think about recording what it looks like. I have an extra camera I'm willing to lend if need be.

Does the foot go from toe-heel-toe during the pivot in the 180 degrees plant? Where does the plant foot end after it's done pivoting? 90 or 45 degrees?

To help me get the timing right, Brad held a dog leash that I pulled on while starting the drill. With that, it prevented me from going further than my right pectoral. I could REALLY feel the timing as it forced everything to follow in the correct order at the right time. I could REALLY feel pressing off that back foot and transferring power into the throw. With the leash lifted, I was hitting the time right and it was stretching muscles that haven't really been stretched before when I've thrown. If I would have been throwing those discs, I know I would have killed them.

That's a good idea for a drill.

All I have to do is convince my wife to hold a dog leash while I act like a moron throwing an invisible disc. She'll do it. I just have her believe that I'm a dog and she's the pack leader. har har har

it's basically utilizing the martial arts concepts of using foot rotation to trigger insanely powerful uncoiling motions.

Great, now I'm going to have to learn kung fu.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Blink » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 pm

I ripped the front right part of my tread clear off the sole the first round I used some name brand hiking shoes(Good thing for shoe glue). Maybe that has something to do with it. I've ripped through a few shoes on the front right side, but I figured I wasn't shifting onto my heel properly.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby rehder » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:56 am

Ive been looking at some throwing clips of where some good pros where throwing 430+. To me it looks like the rear foot gives a push to give good hip rotation, but they dont rotate the plant foot, until after the the disc has left their hand.

I definitly think that initiating a fast hip rotation is important for the advanced thrower, and also that it leads the upper body, but I cant see how plant foot rotation comes into it. At least not in the throws I have looked at.

Brinster doesnt do this either, his plant foot rotation occurs what appears to be after he has thrown the disc, and his rear foot is driving the hip-rotation.
http://discgolfreview.com/resources/ana ... ster.shtml

Am I way off on this?
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:34 am

In Feldbergs putting clinic he specifically tells everyone to putt nose up, yet I'm hearing Blake continually recommending nose down. What's up with that?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:23 pm

yet I'm hearing Blake continually recommending nose down. What's up with that?

i recommend flat because it is good in all wind conditions.
Blake_T

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Blake_T wrote:
yet I'm hearing Blake continually recommending nose down. What's up with that?

i recommend flat because it is good in all wind conditions.

I see.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:25 pm

i also prefer not to have to compensate for any kind of fade on the putter.

nose up definitely has better range than flat but it's a matter of philosophy.

i think people should be able to perform all types of nose angle putts, up, flat, and down, with at least some level of proficiency because you will face the need for all types of putts during varying conditions.

e.g. downhill requires nose down. uphill requires nose up. headwind requires flat.

each style has some advantage over the other in certain situations and at times, each style will dictate (or is dictated by) the choice of putter.

nose up favors neutral to understable putters.
nose down can have some difficulties with heavy stable to overstable putters due to a fast drop speed.
flat will work with any putter,

nose up favors longer putts (assuming a neutral to understable putter)
nose down favors short putts
flat is a jack of all trades, master of none.
Blake_T

Previous

Return to Disc Golf Review Official Announcements