Best courses near major cities?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best

Postby Will Aubrey » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:31 pm

Louisville - Iroquois Park
St. Louis - Jefferson Barracks
Nashville - Cedar Hill
Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet

Postby Frontman311 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:58 am

Wow, thanks!
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby RustyP » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:13 pm

domromer wrote:How bout Austin, I'm going there in Feb and want to hit up some courses. Where should I go all you Texans?

Bartholomew is a fun course with some cool holes, but its still under construction from what i recently heard. When I went last summer there were only 13 holes in the ground and LOTS of construction equipment around. Still a fun layout though.

My personal recommendations would be Circle R Ranch (in Wimberley) and Circle C (aka Slaughter Creek), which is actually in Austin. Circle C is a mostly wooded 21 hole course - not nearly as much elevation as Circle R, but still very fun. The best part about Circle C (aside from the course itself) is that it's right down the street from Seawright (another popular course that it supposedly pretty similar) and DiscNation.com's actual store. I've never seen such a HUGE disc selection - they have pretty much every disc on the market and many that have been discontinued.

Circle R is a MUST!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby RustyP » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:29 pm

Now for Dallas, TX...

The courses that are actually in Dallas city limits arent that great - you'll have to go a little south or west for the good stuff.

Lester Lorch Park in Cedar Hill, TX: The most beautiful and secluded course around Dallas - set on a state-protected natural preserve. Between the 2 courses in this park (Beaver and Coyote), you'll end up using every single shot you have. Everything from ~500' uphil bombs to 5-foot wide wooded fairways to open over-the-water holes. Coyote was pretty much cut straight through thick cedar woods on most holes, and Beaver features a big pond that comes into play on 3 holes. Total disc golf serenity.

Z-Boaz Park in Ft. Worth, TX: Great design by John Houck - wonderful usage of the land. Great mix of open bombs (like #4 - ~650' downhill) and technical wooded holes...also a little bit of water in play on the last few holes. Nice elevation for North Texas. You'll see Z-Boaz on many top players' favorite course list.
Last edited by RustyP on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby steezo » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:27 pm

Austin TX-Bartholomew is still under construction. There are 4 courses within 30 mintues of each other that you should play. From North to South- Wilco, Old Settlers Park, Peace Park, Circle C. Google Texas Disc Golf and you will find alot of maps and other information.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby garublador » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:43 am

If you consider Des Moines to be a major city (which you might if you work in some select industries that require business trips here) then the two best are argueably Pickard in Indianola and Ewing in Des Moines. If you like being punished for bad (or sometimes just slightly off) shots, then substitute Walnut Ridge for Ewing.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby mothrows » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:03 am

I could empty my bag on #5 at Pickard all day long.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Previous

Return to Courses