Disc Golf Compatible Sandals

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Golf Compatible Sandals

Postby JHern » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm a huge fan of wearing sandals in the late spring, summer, and early fall, I've been doing so almost all my life. Since I picked up the habit of disc golf, I've had mixed luck with various sandals while playing. I found Tevas to be total crap, but I always had good experience with various Keen sandals. So I picked up a pair of the newport Keens, and they are quite nice, the shoe comfortably grabs the foot while keeping the sole firmly fixed to the rest of the shoe. And the soles are super grippy.

Anyways, just throwing this out there, and wondering if others play with sandals in warm weather, and what their experience has been. I've become a fan of the Keens, but open to the possibility that there are even better options out there.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Disc Golf Compatible Sandals

Postby Mason65 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Chacos work well for me, but I'm not a toe dragger.
Destroyer*XXX*Eagle*Roc*Ion

Golden Retrieved: 18
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby Jeronimo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:34 pm

http://www.altrec.com/treksta/mens-kisatchie-multisport-sandal?sku_id=524247&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Froogle-_-TrekSta-_-52233-524247&mr:trackingCode=3500AFCB-C181-DE11-9973-0019B9C2BEFD&mr:referralID=NA

Can't recommend them enough. Durability is great. I have the Kobra's and the Timber's as well and they've lasted unbelievably well over the last 6 months.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby tgm » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm wearing a pair of Keen Newport Trails right now, I even wore them in the snow this winter and they worked pretty well with a warm pair of socks. I wore Newport sandals last summer and they got me hooked on Keens. I tend to stub my toe often on roots and stumps so the hard toe is awesome. I also have wider feet and the Keens seem to naturally fit better, than say Merrells.

Big vote for all things Keen. They're worth the extra money.
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JHern » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:35 pm

tgm wrote:...I even wore them in the snow this winter and they worked pretty well with a warm pair of socks...

Do they ever! Unfortunately, my wife is extremely anti-socks-with-sandals, she thinks it is a fashion horror. If she weren't, you can bet I'd be wearing some comfortable sandals like these all year round.

The other thing I like about the Keens is that they have a leather variety of most sandals that you can machine wash (on gentle cycle). Too cool!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby JHern » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Jeronimo wrote:Image

They look like very functional shoes. Too bad they're also ugly as sin, I even looked at the other color combos, and one of them was orange. :roll:

This isn't always a total loss though. For my usual running-type shoes I picked up a pair of Nike's on clearance a while back, and they were also really ugly, making their way to the clearance rack (I got them for $20!) with big fat purple swooshes and trim and stuff. I noticed that I could cut off all the swooshes and crap, making them lighter and improving their appearance considerably. Of course, now they're mud colored. :lol:
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Interesting, I think they look pretty cool.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby DiscinLeopard » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:16 am

I just wear a pair of Spaulding sandals and take them off when I drive - driving barefoot and dragging my toes is one hell of a feeling 8)
DiscinLeopard
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Star Xcaliber

Postby Jaysus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:23 am

One of my favorite courses is along a big creek that is pretty good at catching discs - most of the time I wear "creeek shoes" when I play there.

I have played in Keen, Chaco, and Salomon. The Keens were tough enough to wear at wooded courses, and the Chacos are pretty much only worn at wide open courses (but are absolutely my favorite sandal ever)... but the Salomon was a perfect in-between type sandal. I had the Tech-Amphibian, and they were great - I have a different one now that is a bit more sneaker like, but I plan on picking up another pair of the tech amphibians at some point.

Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Coldpunk » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:44 pm

I've had a pair of these that I wear for disc golf. I tend to play casual rounds in a pair of rainbow flip flops, but if I'm playing in league or tourney rounds and still want to wear sandals I wear these. I love the way the tighten onto my feet and that I can change how snug they are while they're on my feet. Also the heel strap golds into the sandal and they can be worn as slip ons. Unlike most sandals that have that feature with these walking on the collased in strap isn't annoying and uncomfortable.

Edited to add that I also love them bc I bought them off eBay two years ago for under 20$ shipped. I'm a cheap bastard and paying so little for something I've gotten so much use out of is great.
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby JKP » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:00 pm

thinking about getting these for summer time, and let my gtx rest..anyone tried these http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-MENS-MERRELL-CH ... 68c618d18b
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby JHern » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:09 pm

Not sure about the Merrells, though they seem to have most of the desirable features.

DiscinLeopard wrote:I just wear a pair of Spaulding sandals and take them off when I drive - driving barefoot and dragging my toes is one hell of a feeling 8)

I'd love to drive barefoot, but unfortunately too much broken glass around my part of the country.

Interesting thing about these "sandals" we're all talking about is how they are becoming more shoe-like (with the opposite end of the spectrum being plain flip-flops/thongs), and many of them have closed toes. A lot of them are only slightly different from standard running-type shoes.

Heh, I used this argument with my wife, so that she'd allow me to wear my Keens with socks for one cool weather day.

After playing a few more rounds, I love my Keens. The soles grip like mad, I've never lost my footing once while wearing them. The closed toes are great, and keep my toes from getting as beat up. The extra protection is also good for poison oak. And they look nice, too.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby what'shisname » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:12 pm

I just picked up a pair of these Keen sandals today to try out this summer.

They're super comfortable and seem to provide good support and traction so I'm hoping I'll like them on the course.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JHern » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 pm

what'shisname wrote:I just picked up a pair of these Keen sandals today to try out this summer.

They're super comfortable and seem to provide good support and traction so I'm hoping I'll like them on the course.

These are exactly the same as my own sandals, except I bought the leather version (had to order them and wait). Great traction and comfort, also good arch support.

An update: I've learned that I have been developing a foot condition where the heel and arch meet, that has been increasingly painful over time. It is probably a consequence of wearing crappy shoes when I was younger and incredibly broke. Anyways, it is either plantar fasciitis or a heel spur (or both), and I think it is probably the former. Thus I will always have to wear good shoes from this time forward to avoid worsening the condition.
Japan bag...
JHern

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear