A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Postby twmccoy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:52 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:throwing Destroyers without having some pros in your bag is like dating Jessica Alba but choosing to stay celibate

Really? I hate pro destroyers. VERY unpredictable and they just get torn up so fast.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby twmccoy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:53 pm

BIG MACK wrote:First Run Star Destroyers...oh baby, quite possibly the best maximum distance driver ever made (IMO).

The latest runs of star destroyers have been reminding me a LOT of the first runs. Stiff plastic and domey. Great flight.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Ode » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:38 pm

for not super stable distance driver i throw pro destroyers. i have about 15 that are all merlot or bright pink. they do beat faster than the star, but i dont see that as a bad thing. the slightly beat ones are the best. i have a few flat ones that are pretty stable but beat in to great hyzer discs and a few domey that are my go tos, slightly more stable but to me seem to fly better and do a great helix. but then again i like domey so im a little biased.
Ode
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:03 am

After getting sick for the last couple days, today I feel well enough to hopefully go out and do some more Destroyer testing out in the field.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Booter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:04 am

the 1st run xouts from dgv are $$$$$. Flip flat right out of the box
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Cali » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:08 am

^^ Yea for someone who throws 500 feet.

My 167 from DGV is VERY overstable for me throwing it around 350.
Cali
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:17 am

booter wrote:the 1st run xouts from dgv are $$$$$. Flip flat right out of the box

I'm glad I bought a nice little pile of them. The weights marked on mine are all off by about 3-5 grams tho.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby emiller3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:20 am

My first runs are flat with a very gummy center, is this what they're normally like?

I'm just not a big fan of them, seems like seasoning a Pro is a better solution (and happens pretty quickly from what I'm finding.)
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:22 am

emiller3 wrote:My first runs are flat with a very gummy center, is this what they're normally like?

I'm just not a big fan of them, seems like seasoning a Pro is a better solution (and happens pretty quickly from what I'm finding.)

Seasoning a pro one is a good way to get there too. The problem is it doesn't hold that $$ spot for a very long time. One day it'll just turn into your flippy one. These will keep that sweet spot for a long time. I've still got pro ones in the bag and prefer them for some lines.

The tops still pop on my 1st runs (I made sure to request them that way) they are just a little flatter than a pro one.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Booter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 am

cali what oolor did you get? I've had some different colors be more overstable than others. Dayglow is a color that comes to mind. It's always been a meathook color in my experience.i don't even throw near 500 lol but I'm in the 400+ range and mine flip flat with a slight hyzer.

the ones I got were slightly gummy. Not bad but just a tad ,exaclty like my others. I didn't request flat ones but mine have a very very small dome if any. I havnt weighed mine yet but I requested low 170's so I'm hoping they're not way off.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby emiller3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:01 am

My 170 is considerably more gummy than the 175, the 175 is pretty stiff overall.

They all have slight dome, but I think in general would just be considered flat. They don't quite pop, but they're close.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am

There were a TON of first run Destroyers (I wonder what the number was). I remember getting run after run of them in...My friend bought 50 of them to practice with in the field. So there is a lot of variation in that and there is no way to typify all of those discs as being flat/domey/stable/understable. They were made of a pretty similar plastic...It was medium stiffness and really grippy. Most of the stiffer Stars out now are much slicker, and the softer ones a lot more gummy. The first runs were very well rounded. Very few were really poppy topped, and very few were flat as a pancake like many of the other runs. The one I have has a dome, but its not stiff and poppy like an Echo Star or some of the other star runs, and certainly not like the CFR Champs that were domey and poppy.
discspeed

Postby emiller3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:28 pm

TeamTollandDG wrote:Seasoning a pro one is a good way to get there too. The problem is it doesn't hold that $$ spot for a very long time. One day it'll just turn into your flippy one. These will keep that sweet spot for a long time. I've still got pro ones in the bag and prefer them for some lines.

That further confirms my conviction that I a more manageable and more reliable counterpart to the Destroyers. Star Valks have fit that bill quite well for me and after a couple months I can finally say that I'm glad that I ditched the Monarchs for them.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:20 pm

discspeed wrote:After getting sick for the last couple days, today I feel well enough to hopefully go out and do some more Destroyer testing out in the field.

Although I've still got a touch of the flu, the last couple of days of rest really had my snap in top form.

I tested the following Destroyers:
174 domey Echo Star
175 domey Echo Star
173 domey stiff Pro
174 medium stiff Champ
175.8 domey stiff Champ

This was quite fun. I tested them forehand and backhand.

I have found my new D driver...I loved these discs. I never quite got in the Destroyer groove when they came out. When they came out I threw them a bit, but I mostly threw ESP Flashes/Forces and Wraiths during that time, and then I moved on to Bosses, etc.

Each of these discs flew great, and compared to the faster discs out there they were much tamer, flew on tight max D lines, and flew very low, straight, and far when I popped them up from a very slight hyzer. Basically, they flew on the same lines that I like to throw all my other discs on, just lower and longer. They were MUCH more accurate than the Nukes/Bosses/Katanas I've been throwing in the field lately. I was aiming about 430'-450' away at trees, and I put a disc up against them several times. Here's a profile of each:

Echo Stars---These flew the same with the only difference being that the light one flew a tiny bit less stable and had a tiny bit more glide on the fade. These flew great. I can't believe how nose down they could get and still pull out. Whoever said that they fly like domey Pros do when new was right on. They even seemed a little more consistent than the Pro, and were a little longer than the Champs and had a little more movement as well. In headwinds the giant domes slowed them down a bit and turned them a little more than I'd like. FH these were my longest, flipping up from slight hyzer, flying straight, and fading predictably. These were probably my favorite overall.

Pro--This was a great disc well. It had the longest flights, but for some reason I made the most mistakes with it as well. When i got it right it went further than the Echo Stars with a tighter flight path. I look forward to breaking this one in more.

174 Champ--This is the lighter and flatter of my two Champs, and if I had to choose only one of these to put in the bag, this would be it. It is very controllable stability-wise, with slower and straighter action than the Echo Stars. It was also less affected by the wind than them, and seemed more accurate/predictable with my FHs than any of the other ones. It did seem a little slower than the Echo Stars.

175.8 domey Champ--This thing was an overstable pig of a D driver. For me, it is a true "0" in HSS. If I released it with even a hint of hyzer, it was holding it throughout the flight. Although the giant dome slowed it a bit in the wind, its steadfast stability was more than a good tradoff. This disc was too stable for my forehand for anything other than skip shots. It will go in my bag as my overstable D driver. It seemed to have more HSS than my Champ Bosses.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Destroyers and they are definitely going to be my new distance drivers. The minimalist in me loves the endless combinations of plastics/shapes this disc is available in, and it is much more manageable in every way for me than the speed 13+ discs.
discspeed

Postby emiller3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 pm

So the Destroyers held their own against Nukes and Halos? I had thought about trying the other two out after reading your reviews, but Destroyers have always flown so well for me that I couldn't bring myself to try them.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment