Which double stamps for noobs?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Smyith » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:55 pm

krusen wrote:I don't want to buy a whole set, since a newb doesn't really need a mid, and I have extra DX aviars to use. It would be a bonus if I could use the discs as well.
I was originally thinking Valk since I have been wanting to try those out, but it sounds to me that a Cobra would be a better choice for the enjoyment of the new golfers. I'm thinking light weight would still be necessary. Maybe I could still learn some finesse by taking some light Cobras to the practice field.

Newbs should definitly use mids before drivers. they are much easier to learn proper form than drivers.
the cobra is a great learning disc but i still think that a shark is the easiest disc to learn how to throw. i cant tell you how many ppl i know and have heard of that are good who started out with a shark and shark only.
a vak isnt the greatest driver to begin on. a teebird would be a much better choice. its straight and stable.
if it were my i would pick up 2x sharks(one 165ish & one 172ish) 1x teebird 167ish, 1x roc 170ish and a orc or beast (160s) for when you develop better form and technique with the others.
do they not have a choice for putter??? b/c that should be taken over a power driver.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:14 am

It's possible to start with all those, but a 165 Gazelle and 165 Cobra would be a righteous duo of discs. Both are old molds, so they require less nose angle and once your game has improved they always have a spot in your bag for those discs because they're fantastical.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:30 am

Sorry my first post wasn't more on-topic. :?

From that list, definitely the shark. The shark plus one of your extra aviars should be all you'll need to get them interested, and keep them encouraged. I'd get a weight that's light enough for the beginners, but also that you'll find useful for practicing...that way you get more versatility out of them. Maybe somewhere in the mid-160's?

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby garublador » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:04 am

I'd think with a nice, neutral midrange in DX plastic, the weight wouldn't be as big of a deal for beginners. Sure they may get a bit of extra distance out of a lighter disc, but they'll still get a flight path they'll like out of heavier discs.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby krusen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:13 am

Thanks for the suggestions.
A stack of 165g Sharks sounds like the ticket to promoting the sport.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Weebl » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:24 am

Sharks, Cobras and Stingrays would all be good choices.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment