Advancing your lie?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Advancing your lie?

Postby djext1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:31 pm

A buddy of mine told me yesterday that in a state tournament last year, he was in a situation where moving forward towards the basket was a total losing battle and would have cost him at least 3 strokes to get out of the brush and trees. However, the path the disc took into the woods and brush was wide open. So, he marked his lie, threw back out of the woods from the direction he came into the woods (playing back to the fairway), and was told told he had to re-throw that. Two of the guys on the card told him he had to "advance his lie" beyond his marker and could not throw behind his lie. So not knowing the validity of this, he just went back to his lie, muscled a big hyzer out of the woods (almost going backwards, but landing a foot or more beyond his 'lie'.

This sounded funny to me, so I look it up this morning on the PDGA website and can't find anything about this "advancing your lie" situation. Am I missing anything?
djext1
Noob
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:04 am

Re: Advancing your lie?

Postby veganray » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:35 pm

The "two guys" were full of sh!t. There is no requirement to advance one's lie. Feel free to throw in any direction.

Also remember that in an extreme "jail" situation, one can always take a 1-throw "Unplayable Lie" penalty & throw from the previous lie or up to 5m back on the line-of-play from the current lie.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.


Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2208
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: the defense table
Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Re: Advancing your lie?

Postby black udder » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:43 pm

veganray wrote:The "two guys" were full of sh!t. There is no requirement to advance one's lie. Feel free to throw in any direction.

Also remember that in an extreme "jail" situation, one can always take a 1-throw "Unplayable Lie" penalty & throw from the previous lie or up to 5m back on the line-of-play from the current lie.


What ^^he^^ said.

Sometimes, backwards is the best place to go for your next shot.
black udder
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Re: Advancing your lie?

Postby djext1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Thanks guys, that was my initial reaction as well. Like I said, I double checked the rules and couldn't find anything.

Thanks again.. Was just curious.
djext1
Noob
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:04 am

Re: Advancing your lie?

Postby ChUcK » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:13 pm

I hate hearing these stories about non-rules being enforced upon people. They make me wish I was there with a rulebook in hand.

So, according to the 2 dbags, if you miss a 10-footer and your comeback is 12 feet, you get to re-putt because your new lie didn't advance towards the hole?

Tell your buddy to carry a rulebook and always make dbags find the rule they are trying to enforce.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Seattle
Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Re: Advancing your lie?

Postby Ethan Wellin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Always wondered about situations like this with regard to where you would put your feet... if you choose to throw backwards, you still stand on the same side of the mini as if you were throwing forward, correct? its causing a kind of an awkward situation in my head. if you throw with both feet on the ground, I'm thinking you would put your back foot on the ground where your front toe would be if you were throwing towards the target, correct? So you'd be facing the direction you're throwing, with the mini behind you in line with the target? If that's the case, it would get even more awkward if for some reason you were employing a run up... if my understanding is correct, you'd start on the target side of the mini, run-up towards the mini, and place your last step on the opposite side of the mini from where you're taking the run up from.

I hope that makes sense. I don't think it comes up very often... I've done it like once, and never in a tournament round. But reading this thread reminded me of the question.
Ethan Wellin
Noob
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Advancing your lie?

Postby curt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:34 pm

I can't possibly imagine a situation where you would want a run-up AND throw backwards, but if you did, you are correct.
curt
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: In a cave
Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Re: Advancing your lie?

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:41 am

Ethan Wellin wrote:Always wondered about situations like this with regard to where you would put your feet... if you choose to throw backwards, you still stand on the same side of the mini as if you were throwing forward, correct? its causing a kind of an awkward situation in my head. if you throw with both feet on the ground, I'm thinking you would put your back foot on the ground where your front toe would be if you were throwing towards the target, correct? So you'd be facing the direction you're throwing, with the mini behind you in line with the target? If that's the case, it would get even more awkward if for some reason you were employing a run up... if my understanding is correct, you'd start on the target side of the mini, run-up towards the mini, and place your last step on the opposite side of the mini from where you're taking the run up from.

I hope that makes sense. I don't think it comes up very often... I've done it like once, and never in a tournament round. But reading this thread reminded me of the question.


The mini/marker has to be between you and the basket.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Advancing your lie?

Postby veganray » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:54 am

Frank Delicious wrote:
Ethan Wellin wrote:Always wondered about situations like this with regard to where you would put your feet... if you choose to throw backwards, you still stand on the same side of the mini as if you were throwing forward, correct? its causing a kind of an awkward situation in my head. if you throw with both feet on the ground, I'm thinking you would put your back foot on the ground where your front toe would be if you were throwing towards the target, correct? So you'd be facing the direction you're throwing, with the mini behind you in line with the target? If that's the case, it would get even more awkward if for some reason you were employing a run up... if my understanding is correct, you'd start on the target side of the mini, run-up towards the mini, and place your last step on the opposite side of the mini from where you're taking the run up from.

I hope that makes sense. I don't think it comes up very often... I've done it like once, and never in a tournament round. But reading this thread reminded me of the question.


The mini/marker has to be between you and the basket.


OR between you & the next mando, if the hole has one & you have yet to complete it.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.


Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2208
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: the defense table
Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin


Return to Rules Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron