DX Wraith, and some other discs.... Star and the like...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DX Wraith, and some other discs.... Star and the like...

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:23 pm

Anyone thrown it yet? I just picked one up today along with a Star Valkyrie and a couple oldies but goodies DX Gazelle and DX Eagle.

The DX Wraith feels AMAZING in your hand. I forsee a awesome disc, especially once it gets beat up. Anyone else have any input on this disc?

The Star Valkyrie feels amazing, I can't wait to throw this sucker.

I held one of the Star Aviars and I wasn't impressed. I hated the way it felt in the, most likely because I love the feel of the bead on the Wizard.

Speaking about the Wizard, I got my hands on a couple Ice Bowl Wizards, and I ahve this 175g Black Medium Wizard, that is SUPER SUPER sticky in plastic feel...I've never felt a wizard or disc that feels this grippy/sticky. All the black ones @ the Ice Bowl event felt this way. What gives? Did Gateway change up some plastic?
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Smyith » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:32 pm

if its been colored (i.e. supercolor) then its not the plastic but the coloring. its like tye-dye, it fells different from non-dyed plastic but it isnt. the reason why i dont like most dyed discs . but not all dyed discs are like that depends on the process that was used to dye it.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:39 pm

Smyith wrote:if its been colored (i.e. supercolor) then its not the plastic but the coloring. its like tye-dye, it fells different from non-dyed plastic but it isnt. the reason why i dont like most dyed discs . but not all dyed discs are like that depends on the process that was used to dye it.

It's not tye-dye, it's just black with a white hotstamp on it. And it looks liek black was the color of the original disc, how it came off the line :? Adn the hotstamp isn't even that big.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Smyith » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:47 pm

hmm strange well in that case <shrug>
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

wraith

Postby twmccoy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:37 pm

Yeah, that DX wraith will probably outfly the other models. I think this because the DX orc outflies the pro and champion model.

BTW Josh, I picked up your CFR wraith out of the used bin at Wright Life when I was there last month. That disc is absolutely money. I don't see how you got rid of it. :lol:
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: wraith

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:42 pm

twmccoy wrote:Yeah, that DX wraith will probably outfly the other models. I think this because the DX orc outflies the pro and champion model.

BTW Josh, I picked up your CFR wraith out of the used bin at Wright Life when I was there last month. That disc is absolutely money. I don't see how you got rid of it. :lol:

I didn't like it that much. I jsut dropped off another one today when I was up there. 168g Bright Yellow.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Re: wraith

Postby twmccoy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:37 am

I didn't like it that much. I jsut dropped off another one today when I was up there. 168g Bright Yellow.[/quote]

That stinks, I would have loved to trade you something for a 168.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:18 am

yeah i think i need to get over there and get that one, ive been wanting one in that range... But im not sure if the wraith is staying in my bag too much longer...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:01 pm

one thing i noticed with DX orcs is they get beat up quicker than other DX drivers... i think the flight plate is really thin and that's the cause. I'm concerned the DX wraiths will be the same way.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:58 pm

the dx orc has crap durability because its plastic is a crappy blend.

the dx wraith plastic is similar to those on newer dx beasts and has a lot more structure to it.

i thought the star valk's balance was downright awful and i feel that way about all the star discs... so rim heavy = increased gyroscopics.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:57 pm

Blake_T wrote:i thought the star valk's balance was downright awful and i feel that way about all the star discs... so rim heavy = increased gyroscopics.

By this you mean that it will be less forgiving because if it gets turned it wont come back as easily?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

DX orc

Postby twmccoy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:25 pm

presidio hills wrote:one thing i noticed with DX orcs is they get beat up quicker than other DX drivers... i think the flight plate is really thin and that's the cause. I'm concerned the DX wraiths will be the same way.

Yep, I started out with a newish DX orc and it was perfect. The disc flew about like a wraith and every bit as long. Lately it has just started flipping like crazy. I lost faith in it totally. Funny thing is the disc doesn't even seem that beat up. This model seems to warp easily as well.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:31 pm

increased gyroscopics = harder to turn over, but if it turns over it will increase the angle of turn. it also means it will have more natural low speed fade.

the dx orc is easily warpable and that is why it gets flippy fast.

the dx wraith plastic is much stiffer, guessing it will hold up similarly to the stiffer dx beasts.
Blake_T

DX

Postby twmccoy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:12 am

Blake_T wrote:increased gyroscopics = harder to turn over, but if it turns over it will increase the angle of turn. it also means it will have more natural low speed fade.

the dx orc is easily warpable and that is why it gets flippy fast.

the dx wraith plastic is much stiffer, guessing it will hold up similarly to the stiffer dx beasts.

I found one of the 2X mold DX beasts and the plastic seemed very stiff. I was also recently throwing an old mold 168 DX beast that was good plastic. The thing would not turn over at all either. I have found about 12 DX orcs and most of them have noticeable damage to the edges.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:05 pm

yah, the dx orc is about as durable as laffy taffy.
Blake_T

Next

Return to Equipment