Mah bag, let me show you it

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Mah bag, let me show you it

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Top left to bottom right:

Putters:
P1 Maniac P-Line (main putter)
P2 S-Line (driving putter, probably windy situations also)

Mids:
MD1 D-Line (beat to straight/understable)
MD1 S-Line (overstable/wind)

Fairway/Control Drivers:
GM Gremlin D-Line (Straight and short driver, also works on anhyzers somewhat)
GM Gremlin S-Line (More overstable short driver)
Sidewinder DX (Anhyzers, hyzerflips, rollers)
CD Craze P-Line (Tight S-Lines, anhyzers that straighten out at the end)
FR CD S-Line (Straight under any circumstances, usually even skips straight)
PD Freak S-Line (I think you know what this is for already :) )
PD C-Line (At my power level this is all the meat hook I need)
DD Hysteria P-Line (Max D, small S-line, pretty controllable EDIT: Pretty beaten now, very long anhyzers and huge S-curves)
DD Hysteria P-Line (A bit higher parting line, like the orange one but somewhat straighter EDIT: What the other DD used to be, pretty much)

I'm waiting for my Champ PDs, probably going to replace the first run. At some point I'll try out the P PD. EDIT: Got them, replaced the FR S-PD.

Bonus points for spotting "Waldo". ;)
Last edited by jubuttib on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Mah bag, let me show you it

Postby keltik » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:14 pm

that's kinda cool that they are putting the old Gremlin stamps on the GM's.

I'm really starting to like these Discmania "Discs of the Dead" stamps.

what do you mean by spotting "Waldo"? the DX sidewinder? or the Craze?

looks like a solid bag, clean and simple.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Considering every other disc in my bag is form Discmania, the Sidewinder is a pretty obvious Waldo. =)
My friend's S-Line Craze handles almost like a slightly more stable Sidewinder, I'm wondering if I could get that to replace it. My FR S-Line CD is much much much beefier than any other CD I've thrown. Kinda sad since I have nothing to replace it with if I happen to lose it. Well, they're coming up with a more understable driver, hopefully that'll solve it.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby emiller3 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:38 pm

I was just about to ask if anyone was using an all DiscMania setup. Is the MD1 overstable enough to cover the entire midrange spectrum? And how's the P2 as a driver? If I come into some discretionary cash, I'd like to build a DiscMania bag and compare it to my current setup. Apparently they don't have a good understable distance driver yet, judging by Waldo there...
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:52 pm

The D MD1 flies kinda like a slightly beaten Buzzz (x plastic) and the th S MD1 works in the wind quite nicely. Probably not Roc overstable, but I haven't thrown one so wouldn't know.

The P2 works for me, easier to rip than a Challenger, longer than a Rhyno. I can get a good rip on it and it finishes nice and straight.

I think I'm going to name that Sidewinder "Waldo".
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:25 am

My MD1 in D plastic started out the most stable of the MD1s I have. That is every plastic. I've had another D but I lost it and it too started out very overstable. Say close to a Sentinel. P2 is floppier plastic than Aviar Driver which is a bit more overstable than the P2.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:59 pm

Darn, I think I'm falling in love with the Buzzz. Been throwing it for a couple of days (my friend's disc dyed X Buzzz) and it's damn straight and does pretty much anything I ask it to do, with surprising consistency. The distance is not too shabby either, been averaging around 320', with longest throws reaching around 340'. The line is very similar to my D MD1 (though I like the grip on the Buzzz more) but the Buzzz definitely has more glide. Though if I can't reach the target with the MD1, I can always use the D GM, it's longer and is also easy to shape lines with.

Still, it's tempting, but Discraft is harder to find here and I like the idea of just using Discmania, if they can cater to all of my needs.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:30 am

Took the FR S-PD out and put a C-PD in it's place.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby MotoDj » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:34 am

your sig still shows your favorite disc as a star xl...

i'm curious in you all discmania bag, which is your favorite?
i dig it, but i've never seen one in person

buzzz 340, i'm jealous, i max a lil over that with my drivers...
MotoDj
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: i carry 6 favorites

Postby jubuttib » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:09 am

MotoDj wrote:your sig still shows your favorite disc as a star sl...

Fixed, and yeah, it's my favorite disc in the sense that it was the first driver I could throw consistently and accurately. Really was my go-to driver, if I didn't know what to throw I always threw it and it pretty much always worked. If I make an alternative Innova bag (which I might) it's definitely going to be there.

i'm curious in you all discmania bag, which is your favorite?
i dig it, but i've never seen one in person

Favorite... Probably the P-DD, I love that disc. Every time I throw it I'm amazed how easy it is to throw consistently long. It's not as long as my Echo Katanas, but the line is much more controlled, and that matters more.

That's not to say I don't like the others, but the P-DD always manages to surprise me, especially considering how bad the S-Line versions are (no glide whatsoever) and how little love they receive overall.

buzzz 340, i'm jealous, i max a lil over that with my drivers...

It was probably just a gust of wind that made it happen. It seemed that I was on a roll during those days overall, everything flew farther than I've managed before or since (though the conditions haven't been really favoring us lately, seems like the discs just drop dead no matter how you throw them, no carry at all). Not much of a difference but still.

And anyways, the Buzzz seems more like a slow driver with insane glide than a mid to me. Don't know if the one my friend has is a freak one, but it just hangs in the air forever, which helps it go almost as far as my drivers. And it's just so easy to throw, I don't think I've had a bad throw with it once.

Agh, the more I write about how the Buzzz feels the more I want it in my bag. =P

Been resting for a couple of days and realized just how messed up my back was because I'd been throwing hard drives for 3-4 hours almost every day for about a week. Probably the reason I haven't been able to perform lately. Going back today to see if resting made a difference.

EDIT: Yeah, resting definitely helped. I had no trouble pushing my P-DDs (along with my friend's FLX Surge) to around 360 feet again. Damn that disc is easy to throw long...
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:40 pm

After throwing the P-DD into the equivalent of a wall too many times at close range (around 200 feet, damn truck drivers, why can't they use the other part of the parking lot...) I have to say I'm a bit worried about how quickly it looses it's HSS. It's still useable, but requires far more hyzer than I'd like to use. If I release it flat it's still a great anhyzer disc, much longer than my Sidewinder when used like this, and it can be used for long lines, it just takes lots of space nowadays. Does work wonders on downwind shots. My other P-DD (the one that hasn't been beaten as much) still flies like I want it to, I just don't like buying new discs all the time. Guess I'll have to watch out for trees, or buy a Nuke.

If only I could find a domey S-DD, Discmania's P-Line just seems too fragile for anything except the P1 and the PD.

I also know that this is somewhat of a a monologue, but whatever.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Monologue resumes!

Today I got in my first rounds of the year. I played 7 rounds at Suonenjoki, which is the closest course I have. It's pitch and puttish, but with very tricky pin positions so getting a birdie on most of the holes isn't a given. Not too long though so I didn't have a need for my faster drivers. Anyways:

I really like this bag. Everything has a place and it's always easy to choose what to throw for any given line (even though what line I should be taking isn't always as clear). I've only used most of these discs on the field but now I actually got to try them out on the course. Here are some of the highlights:

P-Line Craze: I love this disc. I'd been trying to throw it with full power on the field and forgot the purpose I got it for: Line shaping. Back down to 80% and it's magic. I can make it go left, right, straight, anything. It's like an extension of my arm, always goes where I want it to. The only problem is that I don't always want it to go to the right places, which causes problems at times. But that's the indian, not the arrow. =)

My beat D-Line MD1: What the Craze is for >300' this thing is <300'. Just worried that this'll get too beaten and it'll take me forever to beat a new one. Took a whole summer and autumn of playing to beat the first one. The only thing wrong with this is that the grip is so different from my other discs. It's fine in D-Line, but the S-Line is giving me considerable trouble. Well, the MD2 is coming up and should theoretically fill this slot perfectly out of the box and with a grip I'm more familiar with (Coyote/Mako).

P-Line Maniac: My putting overall has gotten way better, but this thing is so workable at short distances. Pretty much all the holes on the course are so damn well guarded by trees that almost every approach is something of a trickshot, there's never a straight run. This thing took it all in stride, doing all the lines I asked it to. When it didn't it was clearly my throw that was the culprit. I also love the fact that it has almost zero fade.

D-Line GM (Gremlin): I'd forgotten how straight this disc could be. Probably the straightest finishing disc in my bag, at least if I can keep the nose down.

The only discs I'm not completely sold on are the MD1 in S-Line and the P2 in S-Line. Both feel slippery and the MD1 doesn't really fit in my hand properly (I fondled a Roc briefly today and it reminded me of the MD1). Not a problem with the grippier D-Line, but I'm having problems controlling the release when I throw the S. Perhaps I should try the SG...

The P2 was a mixed performer. When I got a clean release with it it did exactly what I wanted it to do, so the flight of the disc is fine. I just couldn't get a consistent clean release on it and it fluttered off to far away lands too often. I think I'll wait for the P-Line P2 to come out before I commit to this disc. I'd like it if I could get a flight like this with a lower profile disc.

Overall I don't feel like I'm giving up anything by using a Discmania only bag. My favorite max D disc is the P-DD (gone through pretty much everything except the Halo), the Maniac is the best putter I've ever tried, and the only real disc that I used to use and would like to have is the Coyote, though the MD2 will take care of that. I still have the Sidewinder because Discmania hasn't come up with a truly understable driver yet, but the S-TD Rush should hit the shelves this month and fill this slot. If not, I can always get another P-Craze and beat the hell out of it.

I still need practice with the bag to fully utilise it, but then again I need practice playing disc golf anyway, I only started last year.

PS. I LOOOOOOVE the P-Line plastic in the DD and the CD, I'm hoping the PD will be as good when they finally arrive.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby discspeed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:30 pm

jubuttib wrote:PS. I LOOOOOOVE the P-Line plastic in the DD and the CD, I'm hoping the PD will be as good when they finally arrive.

P-PDs are awesome. Mine is beat to Sidewinder stability, and it still flies awesome. You may have some decisions to make to avoid overlap though. I'm still not sure about the DD all around. The PD goes really far for a disc with that wing width (super thin nose and high dome must really help), so for me the DD doesn't provide enough of a step up to sit beside it.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:18 pm

I'll have to see what the P-PD brings to the table. While I can throw the S-PDs as far as the P-DD if I hit it just right, the P-DD is on average much longer and easier to get there. If the P-PD hits these distances I might consider dumping the P-DD.

And I don't even want to think about what the new distance driver might do when it comes out.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby discspeed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:44 pm

jubuttib wrote:I'll have to see what the P-PD brings to the table. While I can throw the S-PDs as far as the P-DD if I hit it just right, the P-DD is on average much longer and easier to get there. If the P-PD hits these distances I might consider dumping the P-DD.

And I don't even want to think about what the new distance driver might do when it comes out.

I'd like to see them try the PD top with the Destroyer bottom.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion