A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Postby discspeed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:07 pm

emiller3 wrote:So the Destroyers held their own against Nukes and Halos? I had thought about trying the other two out after reading your reviews, but Destroyers have always flown so well for me that I couldn't bring myself to try them.

They definitely hold their own. I haven't been able to get any new Halos yet to test, but I'll be checking them out when we get new ones in (hopefully they will have more dome). Against the Nuke...The Nuke is longer and more dynamic, but the plastic sucks and they seem inconsistent at this point. The Destroyer is easier for me to throw 400'+ in a straight line than either of those.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby peppermack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:11 pm

So today I was rockin a pro wraith on some long 450-480' bombs at all out 100% field work drives. My question is if a destroyer would benefit me at all. I love my pro wraiths and have not thrown a pro destroyer in ages. should I get my hands on a couple of destroyers to see if they would do more things for me know?
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby discspeed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:16 pm

peppermack wrote:So today I was rockin a pro wraith on some long 450-480' bombs at all out 100% field work drives. My question is if a destroyer would benefit me at all. I love my pro wraiths and have not thrown a pro destroyer in ages. should I get my hands on a couple of destroyers to see if they would do more things for me know?

I'm not sure it would be advantageous to you at your altitude...They may be too stable. If you try a Pro, just remember that they are pretty stable until you hit some things. I would honestly recommend the Echo Star in my limited experience.
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:17 pm

I got to try a bit beat Star Destroyer (mild dome, not flat but not poppy top either) and I think that if I had a reason to stop throwing only Discmania at the moment I'd get me one or two Pros and Star Destroyer. Seemed very controllable and was very long. It's funny how I can throw speed 11 drivers like the Wraith and the DD, and also apparently speed 12 drivers like the Destroyer, but the Boss is still such a damn hog. It won't stay leveled out for a second with a flat release, it just goes left. Probably something wrong with it...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby peppermack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Ya, I hear ya on the boss thing. Even with the monster bombs I was throwing today the boss I had out there with them was a moose. I still got it out to 450'ish, but it was only flat for like 60% of the flight before it started to fade out. NO right left movement at all. I had to start it on an anny to get any S flight out of it.
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby Star Shark » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:45 pm

With the star plastic on wide rimmed drivers, once you get down to 168 or below, you're talking star lite plastic which does mold up quite a bit more stable than regular star.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Animix wrote:With the star plastic on wide rimmed drivers, once you get down to 168 or below, you're talking star lite plastic which does mold up quite a bit more stable than regular star.

Yeah, I know about the Starlites. =)

Mine is 171 though.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby twmccoy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:19 pm

emiller3 wrote:So the Destroyers held their own against Nukes and Halos? I had thought about trying the other two out after reading your reviews, but Destroyers have always flown so well for me that I couldn't bring myself to try them.

Destroyers will hang with anything. They're fast and stable enough to handle some big rips.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby discspeed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:44 pm

I've been throwing a ton of D drivers in the field lately, and all of the top ones that get attention here can hang. It all depends on what feels good to you and what flight characteristics you need the most based on where you play most often.

I like the Destroyer because I like the Wraith, and the Destroyer simply seems like a faster Wraith. The profiles of the two discs are quite similar, with the obvious difference of the Destroyer having a wider wing. The speed makes the Destroyer a little more speed stable and low speed overstable. It also makes it fly better on a little lower lines.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:24 am

I took my Destroyers to the course yesterday and they flew really well for me. I'm looking forward to getting my Echo Stars broken in a little. I bought a flat/somewhat gummy E Star to try and it flat out sucks. I have never liked flat Destroyers...much squirrelier than the domeys and with less glide.
discspeed

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:42 am

discspeed wrote:I took my Destroyers to the course yesterday and they flew really well for me. I'm looking forward to getting my Echo Stars broken in a little. I bought a flat/somewhat gummy E Star to try and it flat out sucks. I have never liked flat Destroyers...much squirrelier than the domeys and with less glide.

I feel the same way. I don't really like em unless the top pops.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Parks » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Heh, I've got a pop top Star Destroyer that is one of the most overstable wide-rimmed discs I've ever thrown.

I have to put it on a hard anny to get it past 350', it has like 0 glide. Its 170 so maybe its a heavy Starlite or something, but it is a freak.

Back to the thread topic: Most Innova pros seem to favor Destroyers and Xcals over Bosses, so that should tell you something right there. And Climo likes the Wraith.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby peppermack » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:51 pm

discspeed wrote:
peppermack wrote:So today I was rockin a pro wraith on some long 450-480' bombs at all out 100% field work drives. My question is if a destroyer would benefit me at all. I love my pro wraiths and have not thrown a pro destroyer in ages. should I get my hands on a couple of destroyers to see if they would do more things for me know?

I'm not sure it would be advantageous to you at your altitude...They may be too stable. If you try a Pro, just remember that they are pretty stable until you hit some things. I would honestly recommend the Echo Star in my limited experience.

Ya, that is what I was thinking. I have tried other big D discs and alway go back to wraiths eventually. I am so inconsistent with my distance abilities that I should just stay with what I have. The day after I was getting monster D I went back out and was having a hard time hitting 400'. Now if I could just figure out how to stay consistent.
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby BLURR » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Anybody else notice the stability difference between the one's that are marked *D and SDS on the bottom? All the SDS Destroyers I have are quite a bit more overstable than the old *D marked one's. Anybody else have the same experience?
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Parks wrote:Heh, I've got a pop top Star Destroyer that is one of the most overstable wide-rimmed discs I've ever thrown.

I have to put it on a hard anny to get it past 350', it has like 0 glide. Its 170 so maybe its a heavy Starlite or something, but it is a freak.

Back to the thread topic: Most Innova pros seem to favor Destroyers and Xcals over Bosses, so that should tell you something right there. And Climo likes the Wraith.

That Destroyer probably has glide when its going 70mph. Last time I played with Climo (Jan-Feb?) he was only throwing Wraiths for rollers. He was using a pro Destroyer and a pretty beat Echo Star Xcal for distance.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment