Throwing better with 3 finger grip

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Throwing better with 3 finger grip

Postby tgm » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:52 am

I dislocated the pinky years ago which causes it to bend towards my thumb as I make a fist. Anyways, it's always felt odd to use a 4 finger grip on my discs and my driving accuracy is not so hot. I also have issues with nose up throws.

This week I went out to the field a couple times and tried throwing with a 3 finger grip and I'm having much more success. My shots are in a tighter range (off line) and I seem to be getting more distance with less effort.

Could it be that I'm getting more nose down with fewer fingers? Or maybe a cleaner release?

The disc feels much better in my hand when I only use 3 fingers.
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Throwing better with 3 finger grip

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 am

I throw anything wraith width or wider with the 3 finger grip. I started doing that after watching Brian Johnson park hole #1 at Cliff with a Z force. He mentioned he used the 3 finger grip on the force.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby victorb » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:52 am

Ever since I learned the power grip, I've only used the 3 finger grip.

My pinkys are disproportionately small compared to my other fingers, so it's a hassle to get the disc lined up right with all 4 fingers under the rim.

Also, the pinky has the weakest grip of your fingers, so having it under the rim is most likely just a comfort issue anyway.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby black udder » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 am

I know a guy who throws 450' with a 2 finger grip. Go with what works for you. It could be that if the pinky was uncomfortable or you mentally didn't want it there, you were doing things subconsciously to make it work, but that was giving you bad releases.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby josser » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:59 pm

I find that I turn my discs over when using the three-finger power grip over compared to 4-finger power or fork grips. This is so very useful!!! But it would be nice to sort out what differences the 3-finger grip is causing so that I could use it for regular shots since I find that it is the most comfy power grip.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MrScoopa » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 pm

My pinkys are disproportionately small compared to my other fingers, so it's a hassle to get the disc lined up right with all 4 fingers under the rim.

Same here. With a three finger everything automatically lines up. I just pinch with my pointer and thumb. For more control I stick out my birdie finger.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby Redisculous » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:21 pm

I had a recent epiphane about grip which seems related to this. I couldn't get the nose down for the longest time, now that I am getting it down, I realize that before, i had all of my fingers, including the pinky touching the flight plate of the disc. Now, my pinky is still on the rim, but it does not touch the flight plate, basicly changing the plane of the disc into a more nose down position. My pinky is in the same spot, I just stopped resting the rear of the disc on it. Really, the only two fingers that are affecting the plane of the disc in my grip are now the index and middle fingers.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby JHern » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:18 am

I can actually throw just as far with a 3 finger (index, middle, thumb) as with a 4-5 finger grip. Actually, my ring finger is under there too but I just don't squeeze it in and I don't feel the inertia of the disc pressing against it so much as I do against the middle and index finger. My pinky bends outward at the middle knuckle, slightly, so that the tip points away from the other fingers, so getting it out of the way is usually a good thing.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby koffee » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:38 am

JHern wrote:I can actually throw just as far with a 3 finger (index, middle, thumb) as with a 4-5 finger grip. Actually, my ring finger is under there too but I just don't squeeze it in and I don't feel the inertia of the disc pressing against it so much as I do against the middle and index finger. My pinky bends outward at the middle knuckle, slightly, so that the tip points away from the other fingers, so getting it out of the way is usually a good thing.

That is why I switched to a 3 finger grip. It just felt like the disc was leaving my hand cleaner.

CHEERS - Koffee
koffee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby biodarwin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 am

black udder wrote:I know a guy who throws 450' with a 2 finger grip. Go with what works for you. It could be that if the pinky was uncomfortable or you mentally didn't want it there, you were doing things subconsciously to make it work, but that was giving you bad releases.

There is a local guy here that does the same thing. He says he generates a lot more snap. I think he threw around 450ish at the distance comp a few ago, nothing AMAZING but definitely further than I can throw :)
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:25 am

Could it be that I'm getting more nose down with fewer fingers? Or maybe a cleaner release?

if you can't get all 4 fingers comfortably on the rim then there is an inherent flaw with the resting point in your hand. 3-fingers only yields more nose down than a 4-finger grip if you have an inherently flawed 4-finger grip.

imo, the pinkey is the most important lock finger.

being able to throw with 3 or 4 and preferring to go with 3 for various reasons = choice.

throwing well with 3 and crappy with 4 is not a choice and indicates problems in the fundamentals of the grip.

there's a huge difference between preference and necessity.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:30 am

Blake_T wrote:

if you can't get all 4 fingers comfortably on the rim then there is an inherent flaw with the resting point in your hand. 3-fingers only yields more nose down than a 4-finger grip if you have an inherently flawed 4-finger grip.

imo, the pinkey is the most important lock finger.

being able to throw with 3 or 4 and preferring to go with 3 for various reasons = choice.

throwing well with 3 and crappy with 4 is not a choice and indicates problems in the fundamentals of the grip.

there's a huge difference between preference and necessity.

This is the progression I went through.
-Sucked with 4 fingers
-Got better results with 3
-Out grown 3, start sucking again
-Learned to use 4 properly
-????
-Profit :lol:
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby victorb » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:01 am

Blake_T wrote:if you can't get all 4 fingers comfortably on the rim then there is an inherent flaw with the resting point in your hand.

I'd argue that if everyone's anatomy was identical, but I for one have pinkies that are 1.75" shorter than my middle fingers, making a 4 finger grip with proper alignment impossible.

Anatomy of your hand can indeed make a difference in how you grip a disc.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby USAnarchy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:25 am

victorb wrote:
Blake_T wrote:if you can't get all 4 fingers comfortably on the rim then there is an inherent flaw with the resting point in your hand.

I'd argue that if everyone's anatomy was identical, but I for one have pinkies that are 1.75" shorter than my middle fingers, making a 4 finger grip with proper alignment impossible.

True, it can make a difference, however have you ever thought about trying to use the climo grip where you stack 2 fingers on the pinkie with the index finger tucked under the rim?

What about using a lower placement line on you hand to compensate for the difference in length.

Show me a person who "cant" and I will show you a person who "can", but just doesnt know how to yet.

My buddies own a disc golf store that i help out with and it never fails, there is always a way to make something work. I have reworked grips, throws, and general off theories that some of the local patrons have had. I could understand if you didnt have a pinkie finger, or if you were missing part of your pinkie finger entirely, but if you have functioning digit, you can make it work.

As for the person whose pinkie curls in towards their thumb, this is the goal of your pinkie anyway depending on the grip you use. Have you tried the feldberg power grip, only let the pinkie finger curl in instead of rest flat on the inside rim?
Accuracy is Slow. Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast. Fast is Far.
The Less Effort, The Faster and More Powerful You Will Be - Bruce Lee
Know What You Throw. Throw What You Know.
It's Not A Routine If You Have To Think About It.
-=| Click Here To See What's Currently In My Bag |=-
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:32 pm

my pinkey doesn't even make it to the last joint of my ring finger and is 1 11/16ths " shorter than my middle finger.

in 99% of cases where people think they need a 3-finger grip they have a grip that has a contact point that misses the intersection between the index and middle fingers. that is, instead of wedging the rim contact between that point they let the rim go above that point.

i've been giving lessons for almost a decade now and never come across someone who had 5 fingers on their throwing hand that couldn't do a 4-finger grip properly. i've worked with 40+ players who claimed they couldn't but they all had the same issue with disc alignment.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Next

Return to Technique