Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Spike » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Big Weekend wrote:I love big discs and carry a Fastback for approaches, although the Sonic is my favorite "golf" disc.

Now we're talking REAL lids :D Isn't Sonic a fastback too?
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby veganray » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:32 pm

The mother of all lid events just happened here last weekend, the 34th Annual Virginia States Frisbee Tournament. Tons (161, to be exact) of ancient-skool Frisbee players, including world champs, distance record holders, and players with 2-digit PDGA #s converged on Pratt Park in Fredericksburg, VA. The course was peppered with Ultrastars, Fastbacks, Apples, 40s, 100s, 71s, and a lot of other weird, non-beveled-edged discs that I had never seen before. (One was a Wham-o with the diameter & heft of an ultimate lid, but the shape of a Fastback.)

Golf plastic was used, as well, but those Frisbee legends could really make those lids fly with a majestic beauty that no beveled-edged disc can ever match.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby riverboy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Hell, I love lids. I like rattlers, zephyrs, gophers, pirhanas, polecats, you name it. I haven't carried any in a while, but it is always nice to have some for warmup catch. Polecats used to be my go to out of trouble disc. When I was stuck in the brush with no movement available, a quick flick with the polecat would rescue me.
ChUcK wrote:Gateway doesn't use foil hotstamps. Dave Mac employs a neanderthal with a chisel and a loveless childhood.
riverboy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: CE eagle X

Postby marmoset » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Y'all know I'm in the club.
The 150 Polecat is my primary putter.
I love the lid style discs because they are so finesse-able, glidey, and retrocool.

I like Super Classing with my Ultrastars, too. I need to try that Wham-O heavyweight 200 gram Ultrastar lookin' thingy; that thing looks boss.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Big Weekend » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:32 pm

Spike wrote:
Big Weekend wrote:I love big discs and carry a Fastback for approaches, although the Sonic is my favorite "golf" disc.

Now we're talking REAL lids :D Isn't Sonic a fastback too?

I've always considered my Fastback(Superhero) a lid, but the Sonic is a smaller diameter I believe, and a hell of alot heavier.
Big Weekend
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Blue Pro Rhyno

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:44 pm

Trey133 wrote:Premie Polecat = one of the best catch discs out there

You saying you have a champ polecat? I would love to give that a toss some time.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jsw » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Woah, how did I miss this thread until now?

The Rattler is the most exciting thing to happen to my bag since the Roc. I've only had it in my bag for about 15 rounds and its really helped my game from about 150 and in.

I've canned two or three huge upshot/putts(60-70 footers). Now I know from 60' out - most pros are running a putter at the basket from like a jump putt stance. But for me, I'm just trying to park the disc under the basket - or maybe have a run at it without trying to fly too far past it and leave myself a long come-back.

But with a Rattler, I can run at the basket and know its going to just sit down within 10 or 15 feet even if I miss it. Upon rereading this, I'm basically just rehashing everything that Mark Ellis said in his "long putts" clinic. :lol:

But its all so true, If you don't have the game to make 100' jump putts without leaving yourself long come-backs most of the time. You should really give the Rattler a try, because once you learn how to snap it properly - you will be two-putting every time, and every couple rounds you're going to bang a big one and it just feels Oh so sweet 8)
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby marmoset » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:50 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
Trey133 wrote:Premie Polecat = one of the best catch discs out there

You saying you have a champ polecat? I would love to give that a toss some time.

No, I think he's talking about Premium Polecats which is another name for EDGE Polecats; they weigh like 120 grams. I like them for really low ceiling shots up to 100' because I've never seen another disc retain it's height as well.

They make Premium Rocs, too. They get down to 110 grams I think?

As a side note, they make Champ Polecats and I want one soooooo bad!
Last edited by marmoset on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Also, no joke, throw a first run ion if you want lid like flight from a normal putter.
Frank Delicious

Postby jubuttib » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:13 pm

I LOVE me some Ultra-Star action. I've been in love with lids since I first laid my hands on a disc at age 2 to 4 or something like that. I had a Wham-O MaxFlight years ago which I've since lost, I really want a new one. It was very falsely advertised over here and didn't live up to the promises, but I remember it being magnificent for long range catch and would love to have one now that I can throw somewhat properly. Also going to order a few original Wham-O frisbees (no idea what mold though) and some pluto platters this summer, just for laughs. Throwing these things is for reasons unknown much more satisfying than throwing my golf discs.

I would get some golf lids but I'm trying really hard to cut down on buying plastic that will never go into my bag. Really hope that Discmania would come up with something appropriate (they do have an Ultimate lid, but it's just a restamped Innova one and not really worth getting if you have others imho).
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Dag » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:55 pm

marmoset wrote:I need to try that Wham-O heavyweight 200 gram Ultrastar lookin' thingy; that thing looks boss.

I was curious on that one as well for my Super Class bag but:

Discovering The World wrote:The heaviest Frisbee® disc out there. Each Heavyweight disc is individually weighed and guaranteed to be over 200 grams.

which would put it overweight for SC. You can get DX Superheroes at 195ish grams which I can't imagine are all that different. They don't have the fun sumo stamp on them though.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby keltik » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:13 pm

are you guys talking about the Whamo lid with the sumo wrestler stamp? if so I have one and it's not that cool. it's not that much more stable than a regular ultra-star. also whamo plastic is equivalent to crayon wax. Zephyr > "Sumo". but then again I'm not that great with a lid :mrgreen:
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby marmoset » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:23 pm

Dag wrote:...which would put it overweight for SC.

I don't do tourneys. PDGA has no bearing on me. This is something for all you other guys to take note of.
Thanks for posting this, I didn't know it. I just assumed it weighed 200 grams.

If you want a more overstable Ultrastar, I think I found one.
I was throwing one of these and I could not get it to flip regardless of how hard I threw it (with clean form)
Hopefully I wasn't throwing a freak because I'm going to buy one for myself.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:42 pm

keltik wrote:are you guys talking about the Whamo lid with the sumo wrestler stamp? if so I have one and it's not that cool. it's not that much more stable than a regular ultra-star. also whamo plastic is equivalent to crayon wax. Zephyr > "Sumo". but then again I'm not that great with a lid :mrgreen:

This is all true. I bought one of those Sumos for beach frisbee and was not that happy with it.
Frank Delicious

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Whitler FTW
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

PreviousNext