Some Basic Drives on video

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Some Basic Drives on video

Postby Lloyba » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:17 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD0aGdi6-FA

The distances are pretty rough estimates, but i've scannned the field i'm throwing on a bazillion times on google earth, so I think they're quite right. There's a 120m rugby pitch and then around 10 meters on each end, so around 140m +- 5m (460) from end to end in a straight line.

My thoughts are that my drive looks quite lax and not really explosive, at least in this video. Feels like i'm not getting everything i could into the drive. I have some videos of my anhyzer drive that i might put on later, i think i get more power in those.

Any input is welcome, cheers.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woi3BWPWxuU

Anhyzer drives. Felt a bit better about these in terms of actually getting some *oomph* on the throw and pivoting around my plant leg more. oh yeah and my camera was standing on my revo bag, so the video is pretty crappy. will see if i can get a friend to be cameraman again
Last edited by Lloyba on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lloyba
Noob

Re: Some Basic Drives on video

Postby Parks » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:37 am

Your first drive looks really good. You're hitting some of it, and everything looks about right.

In your second drive, your arm comes through a bit early it seems and throws off your timing a bit. It looks like it has a lot less power than the first throw. I'm guessing the first one was 450ish and the second was 400ish.

For you, it looks mostly like you just need to work on upper body timing and getting your wrist into it. Your reach back and start of pull look like they may be slightly too rushed.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:31 am

Your pause isn't really happening as long as it should. You turn the torso so early to face the target that you pull close to your left pec but the right pec is far away to the right and running away from the arm as it moves forward. And you can't pull the arm more to the right because the left side is on the way. delay the second phase of turning the torso toward the target until the disc is by the right pec or even passed the right side. Your plant step pivot is a little low but it's hard to tell how deep the grass is. it may be passable for maintaining health. For the sake of safety I'd pivot with less sole to ground contact. You get enough weight forward after the disc has left. Especially the second throw was weight back. Your knee angle change while pivoting within the throw and between throws. You should keep some bending there to ease the twisting forces on the knee.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Lloyba » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:14 am

Thanks for the replies guys, another video is up, edited into first post
Lloyba
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:12 pm

This is for the second video. Do you hear the sound of the rip? Guys that throw far say that they throw farther when there's no sound. so my recommendation is to pinch harder with the index finger and thumb. If you can achieve the same D or better fine. If you can't eliminate the sound try lifting and holding heavyish objects in the thumb/index finger pinch for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. A couple more if that didn't help. Those muscles develop fast but beware of tendonitis.

You could push the elbow forward about 5 cm before straightening the elbow.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Lloyba » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:17 pm

yeah actually i'm not using a power grip in those pictures, more of a midrange grip with my finger pads against the bottom of the disc rather than the rim edge. not really sure why, i think was in "let's throw control drives" mode that day. if using a faster run-up i usually use an avery-style power grip. I get pretty good distance with that as well, but all in all my drive is really messed up at the moment, since i'm trying a lot of different things. Well, that's what field practise is for eh
Lloyba
Noob

Return to Video Critique