Critique My Form - Let The Flaming Begin

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How Smooth Are These Throws? VOTE AFTER VIEWING VIDEOS

Butter Smooth
36%
Nice and Greasy
9%
Fluid
9%
Your Average
9%
I've Seen Better
36%
Rough
No votes
Ugly. Better Throw Some Oil On It
No votes

Total votes : 11

Critique My Form - Let The Flaming Begin

Postby USAnarchy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:18 am

Aiight....

Here they are. One Rear View shot and one Side View shot.

Both thrown with new 175 Pro Bosses.

Both went 400 feet and ended up within 15 feet of each other.

My main goal on these throws is to be smooth. Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Right now im hitting 400 when throwing the disc flat and letting it fly on its on line.

Throwing power anhyzers or hyzer flip shots im over 500+.

My goal is to hit 600 on flex and flip shots. In order to do this, i will need to get my flat shots out towards 500 feet, with 500 feet being a goal.

Let me know anything you see, as I want to fix everything I can. One thing I am purposefully keeping away from is a true run up or hop start to try and get faster momentum. I know doing this will add about 50 feet (from when i do throw like this). I am trying to save this for last as its no good if my form/technique is hindered somewhere else. I should be able to get close to an additional 100 feet of distance without adding the run up, and this is my goal. It may be lofty, but im OCD enough to pull it off.

Let the Flaming Begin!

Both Videos shot using a Kodak Zi6. 720HD @ 30 FPS (I would have done 60 FPS, but the Zi6 starts to drop frames).

Rear View of Backhand Throw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3FOhuMYPos

Side View of Backhand Throw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUaZIK4cFQk
Accuracy is Slow. Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast. Fast is Far.
The Less Effort, The Faster and More Powerful You Will Be - Bruce Lee
Know What You Throw. Throw What You Know.
It's Not A Routine If You Have To Think About It.
-=| Click Here To See What's Currently In My Bag |=-
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Critique My Form - Let The Flaming Begin

Postby USAnarchy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:21 am

I see things already that I have never noticed while throwing, but that is what Video is for, right?
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:34 am

dude, those look rediculously easy :O

Honestly, it looks like a lot of upper body throw with what has to be a bunch of snap. The hips close and open, but I don't see a lot of power generated from them. Not saying this is your major problem, but I'm guessing every bit helps when you're already at 400'.

At the distance you're throwing, it has to be timing. The nose is down, disc is in tight, etc. So it has to be that it's either slipping out a little early or wrist extension is early/late. Stuff like that.

I'd also imagine that as easy and slow as that looks, perhaps adding some momentum and power would generate more distance. Nothing reckless. Don't know though since I look like I'm expending more effort to throw 75' less :(

I'll be interested to see what Blake's comments are if he chimes in. At a guess, I'd say this is where his expertise comes in - past the basics and into the fine tuning of a throw.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby USAnarchy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:42 am

Yeah, as i said, im trying to stay away from a run up as that is an easy distance adding measure that I want to save for when its needed. I want to get all that hard to find distance first, then add the easy stuff to it. Not that i dont mind hearing that i need to add a run up. I will, just not yet.

At least your seeing some of what im seeing.

Looking forward to Blake, Dan, and JHern to take setting me straight. Be as specific as you can gentlemen, as i want the harsh direct truth. If you see something busted, point it out.
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby Parks » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Your upper body is pretty good. You're "scooping" a tiny bit and not getting your weight all the way forward (most visible in the second vid) which is losing you some nose angle and distance.

You could generate a lot more power with your lower body by being lighter on your feet and leading with the hips more.

It also looks like you stop your follow through instead of letting flow a little more naturally.

Beyond that, its the same stuff as everyone else: work on generating more snap :D
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby USAnarchy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:08 pm

When you say "Stop Your Follow Through" im assuming your talking about my bad ankle and super stiff ankle brace that makes my right leg act like a busted peg instead of a ball-bearing swivel?

I get a lot more spin and follow through with the ankle brace off, but then i hobble around for the next day or so....

My ankle is getting better, but its been an issue since i rolled it really badly almost a year ago. I should be sans ankle brace in about 6 more months. Doing physical therapy exercises is helping too.

heh. That and losing weight....

Keep the critiques coming.
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Is your last name Walker?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Monocacy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Your throw looks effortless, and I am reluctant to offer suggestions because you throw waaaay farther than I do. That said, it does look like your weight is somewhat back at the hit. Perhaps this is related to your ankle problems. Have you tried pivoting on the ball of your foot rather than on your heel?

My backhand has been seriously defective lately. Last night at triples I threw with a walk-up rather than a run-up, and both accuracy and distance improved considerably. Imagine my surprise to pull up your videos and see you doing the same thing.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Parks » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:34 pm

USAnarchy wrote:When you say "Stop Your Follow Through" im assuming your talking about my bad ankle and super stiff ankle brace that makes my right leg act like a busted peg instead of a ball-bearing swivel?

I imagine that's part of it, but look at the difference between the rear view and the side view.

In the rear view, your follow through looks a lot more natural, even though you stop at the same place in both videos.

In the side view, you drag your toe quite a bit and your follow through looks a lot less natural. This can hurt distance and add injury potential.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby USAnarchy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:42 am

keltik wrote:Is your last name Walker?

No it is not. Sorry.
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby USAnarchy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:51 am

Parks wrote:
USAnarchy wrote:When you say "Stop Your Follow Through" im assuming your talking about my bad ankle and super stiff ankle brace that makes my right leg act like a busted peg instead of a ball-bearing swivel?

I imagine that's part of it, but look at the difference between the rear view and the side view.

In the rear view, your follow through looks a lot more natural, even though you stop at the same place in both videos.

In the side view, you drag your toe quite a bit and your follow through looks a lot less natural. This can hurt distance and add injury potential.

Yeah it does appear that i have my weight a little further back than it should of been.

I am still seeing things that no one else has mentioned.
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:55 am

I find it difficult to see if your elbow is far ahead of the side I mean it is but how far before the elbow chop I can't really tell. I was unable to stop the video at the right tie and the frame rate probably didn't take a good pic at the right time and the exposure time was horribly long leaving blurred images like looooooong disc etc. You didn't seem to have a pause in the body rotation and the elbow moved all the time in a rotary fashion if one looked down from above. Stopping the elbow makes the elbow chop much faster. Well not stopping fully but a significant reduction in movement speed does.

Slight hyzer release with anny plant position. Does planting 6-8" right of current position hurt? With my ankle injury more ball of the foot less sole to ground area increased stress and pain. My injury lasts much longer as a painful one according to my doc. Hope you heal fast.

Incredible D for the slowness of the motion. I'd have thought the flights were much shorter. You must be doing something right in the wrist portion of the throw where I suck.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby USAnarchy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:56 am

You may want to download the video footage and then use something like media player classic vlc player too slow things down. My PC is out of commission. Powersupply blew up in a storm last night despite the surge protector so all I have is my Droid to use until I can get my powersupply replaced.

I have always had a slight hyzer shot. Only way to throw flat is like Avery and that takes you out of the power. So I just started to try and throw low again, and of course I'm dipping and pulling through weird' not doing a lot of other things I see too.

I will try to get a few more videos on Monday afternoon.

Yes, it hurts my ankle to spin on my toes without the brace. With the brace it doesn't, but because the brace is so ridged, its hard to get on to the toes of that foot unless I use a run up. Might have to try it on Monday for the footage.
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby USAnarchy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Yeah, tried to play yesterday and stay on my toes while wearing the ankle brace.

Bad idea. Had to stop playing after 6 holes. One ankle/foot rub later and i could play again.

Played again without the brace and indeed i could stay on my toes. Ankle got sore about the end of the round, but wasnt sore this morning. So that is good news as my ankle is healing faster than I thought.

Im going to play a doubles round tonight without the brace and see how it goes.
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby rehder » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:13 am

How have you measured the distance you are throwing?
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Video Critique