Caddy questions

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Caddy questions

Postby ChUcK » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:32 am

Is a caddy allowed to be the individual that removes his golfer's disc from the basket?

Is a caddy required to assist in the search for lost discs?

Can a caddy call and/or second a stance violation? What if he's an official Official?

Can a caddy be the guy who warns a competitor in order to preclude a possible stance violation?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Re: Caddy questions

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:02 am

Yes.
Yes, if instructed by his player but doesn't have to if the player is searching
Yes, but not if the caddie's player also makes the call. In other words, the caddie or the player can count as one call but not both.
Yes.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:01 pm

A caddy is considered an extension of the player to some extent. If your caddy does something and gets a courtesy violation, that is against the player.
This happen at the memorial this year. Someone had a caddy being a douche, and they got warned, player was a douche and got stroked, and they pulled the we already warned you, when we warned your caddy.
So keep that in mind too when having a caddy, they can cause a courtesy violation.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby ChUcK » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm

That's interesting- I always knew that the caddy could earn his competitor penalty strokes for misconduct, but I'm not sure if I knew that a warning for one is a warning for both.

I figure I'm safe, because I don't act like a douche on the course, and I don't caddy for douches. 8)
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:34 pm

ChUcK wrote:I figure I'm safe, because I don't act like a douche on the course, and I don't caddy for douches. 8)

That's all in the eye of the beholder... :wink:
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ChUcK » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:11 pm

You'll beholdin' your groin in pain after my swift roundhouse kick
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby wdb4th » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 am

Roadhouse!
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat Proto Magic

Postby wilos1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:44 am

In tournament play, can a caddy be a dog? I am currently working on getting a disc bag created for my dog, as he comes along and plays most casual rounds with me. I figured why should I carry all these discs when he can.

As long as he isn't a douche I don't see a problem with it, however didn't know if there was something in the rules that I wasn't aware of requiring the caddy to be of human origins...
wilos1
Noob

Favorite Disc: beast (Old Mold)

Postby Fritz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:07 am

wilos1 wrote:In tournament play, can a caddy be a dog? I am currently working on getting a disc bag created for my dog, as he comes along and plays most casual rounds with me. I figured why should I carry all these discs when he can.

As long as he isn't a douche I don't see a problem with it, however didn't know if there was something in the rules that I wasn't aware of requiring the caddy to be of human origins...

Yes. Unless it's against the rules of the park, but you might be able to get him classified as a working dog lol.
As long as he/she is well behaved I know I wouldn't have a problem with it.
In the end, up to the TD really.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:53 am

The Competition Manual disagrees, Fritz. Section E.

3.5 Carts and Caddies

A. Players are required to walk during their tournament rounds at all PDGA events unless alternate transportation such as golf carts are provided to all competitors 

B. Players will have the option to bring a caddie or carrying device during their round of play. A player’s caddie is subject to all items with in the PDGA Rules of Play and the PDGA Competition Manual including all applicable dress codes.

C. Players choosing to use a caddie will be solely responsible for their caddie’s conduct. Misconduct by a caddie may subject the player and caddy to disqualification and/or suspension.

D. Players must instruct their caddies to maintain a reasonable distance and not interfere with a competitor attempting his or her shot.

E. For those players wishing to use a carrying device, approved carrying devices include disc golf bags, foldable chairs and push cart companions. No animals, motor driven or bicycle type devices shall be allowed at all PDGA events.

ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:24 am

And I thought the dog just needed to wear a collared shirt... ;)
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby wilos1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:23 am

Put a collard shirt on him and he'd probably act better than about half the guys at the tournament. I figured there would be something aganist it, could see a lot of people not wanting a dog in a group with them. I could always say he is my seeing eye dog.

I am still going to have the bag made for casual rounds and maybe leagues. I will post pics in the mod section when completed.
wilos1
Noob

Favorite Disc: beast (Old Mold)

Postby Fritz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:33 am

ferretdance03 wrote:The Competition Manual disagrees, Fritz. Section E.

3.5 Carts and Caddies

E. For those players wishing to use a carrying device, approved carrying devices include disc golf bags, foldable chairs and push cart companions. No animals, motor driven or bicycle type devices shall be allowed at all PDGA events.

Loop hole, the bag is actually carrying the discs. The Dog is holding the bag.

Does a stroller count as a bicycle type device?

Funny thing though, I've seen animals at tournaments multiple times everywhere, even in my group. hmm...
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:51 pm

I'd consider a stroller a "push cart device." Since the rule explicitly says "no animals" I would say your loop hole is bunk.

And I've had dogs in my group before as well.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Pwingles » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:48 pm

a stroller has more than 2 wheels generally as well, disqualifying it from the "bicycle type device" category, and moving it to a different wheeled device category :)
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Next

Return to Rules Discussion