Innova Mako

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Innova Mako

Postby smarkquart » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:56 am

I want to point another thing out about the Mako; it does not have a bead. I personally do not like beaded disc. I do not like the feel of it sitting in my hand and how it digs into my palm. This is not a knock on those can handle or like a disc with a bead; they are just not for me. That is why I gave up on the Comet, Wasp, and the Shockwave. I can tolerate it in putters for someone reason, as long as the bead is not too pronounced.

I forgot the Roc has a bead and I almost slapped down some money on a new Star Roc the other day. I heard they are just a tick more stable than the Mako and I thought I would give it a try. I picked it up and set it immediately back down. I spent that money on an Echo Star Wraith and I am definitely not disappointed with that choice.

I am fairly comfortable with my Makos and I think I am going to stick with them for a long time to come.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby Shank » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:11 am

how does a bead dig in to your palm? i don't get it.
Magic + Wizard + Fuse + Roc + River + Teebird + ????????
Shank
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The lake ate it

Postby smarkquart » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Shank wrote:how does a bead dig in to your palm? i don't get it.

I do not know a better way to describe the feeling of it than digging. It feels uncomfortable in my palm and when I need to rip the throw, I can feel it as it slides over and then out of my hands. The smooth underside like the Mako or Buzzz just seems to feel more comfortable and cleaner when I release it. I am not knocking discs that have beads, they just to not feel right for me. This unnatural feeling is further exaggarated when that bead is nicked up or slightly damaged; I do not like that texture across the center of my palm.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Postby Shank » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:21 pm

i guess i just don't understand how the bead is in your palm in the first place. when i look at my mid-range grip (birdie grip) the only part the bead is really contacting is the inside of my index finger. the wing is in the seam of my hand. i have big hands though, so that may just be me.
Magic + Wizard + Fuse + Roc + River + Teebird + ????????
Shank
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The lake ate it

Postby jubuttib » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:11 pm

marmoset wrote:
jubuttib wrote:The Coyote has also been tweaked lately...

Interesting, I hadn't heard about this. Any way to tell between the 2?

I don't remember exactly, but I don't think so. The change is fairly minor, went from -1 turn and 1 fade to 0 turn and 1 fade. Check out Dave D's thread at PDGA for additional info, can't remember the page though, sorry.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby smarkquart » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Shank wrote:i guess i just don't understand how the bead is in your palm in the first place. when i look at my mid-range grip (birdie grip) the only part the bead is really contacting is the inside of my index finger. the wing is in the seam of my hand. i have big hands though, so that may just be me.

I was talking through memory without actually having a disc in my hand. You are right about it not really being in the crease of the palm. The bead runs more through the flesh of the fingers. The way I grip it the bead definitely makes contact with the index and middle finger, depending on the bead, the angle I will release, and how clean the release was, the bead could make contact with the other two fingers. Regardless of where it was digging into my flesh, it is damn annoying to me; I just cannot get over it. I never got comfortable with Comet, gave up on the Roc (more so because I did not like how much I was gouging it), and despite thinking it would be awesome to have a Shock and Awe package with the Aftershock and Shockwave, I just found the Meteor/ Mako/ Drone a perfect combination for my specific game.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:38 am

Just got back from a round at Grandview. The Mako performed like a pro. Four midrange holes....four birdies. Pure gold....
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JKP » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:40 am

whats everyone prefer? first run or production? Im tossing the FRs
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby Hoey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Been throwing a Mako from a tournament I played in. It's a 174g. I bought a 180g (183g on the MSt's scale ;) )

The 183g I had a big fade, and it seemed to overlap with other discs in my bag, because I had to crank on it for it to perfom like it should've too, to not get the big fade. The 174g seems to fly for me as advertised. I think it's different enough for me to keep my Roc's, but I'm still figuring it out. I love its slight speed, and glide! Very straight... put it on a couple of good ace runs so far... so I got that going for me... which is nice.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby JKP » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:25 pm

ive yet to try anything below 180.. do they turn at high speeds?
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby smarkquart » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:20 am

JKP wrote:ive yet to try anything below 180.. do they turn at high speeds?

Thrown flat it probably will but it would not be devastating, though it will not come back. Once you have done it a few times, you can count on it to do when you need it. If I am going all out on it, I put the slightest bit of hyzer on the throw. It will hold it straight for almost the whole flight before softly tailing off at the end.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Postby Leopard » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:00 am

WARNING!!!!

I got a tourny-stamped Mako this weekend. It is horrendously domey, a big ole poppy-top UFO dome on TOP of a regular big dome.

Heads up to Mako lovers... stock up, because the fresh (3rd?) run of *Mako is *Sucko
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Trey133 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:06 am

The newest ones at the clash looked TERRIBLE.

They are making gummy gummy star big bead aviars now though! Pretty tasty!
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Billym » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:31 am

Leopard wrote:WARNING!!!!

I got a tourny-stamped Mako this weekend. It is horrendously domey, a big ole poppy-top UFO dome on TOP of a regular big dome.

Heads up to Mako lovers... stock up, because the fresh (3rd?) run of *Mako is *Sucko

I have a few stamped ones and on is a bit more domey; it still flies like my other Makos. It is currently in my bag along with my $$ 180g FR. I will test them side by side.
I still have 6 unused FRs so I am good.
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby biscgolf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:02 pm

i have a few first runs left if anyone is interested, pm with offers- no trades, sales only.
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment