Can this picture tell me anything?

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Can this picture tell me anything?

Postby Dr. Burd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Anhyzer putter shot. For those in the area, this is #4 at Lakewood Hills. It was probably the right angle and distance, but I missed the line to the left and nailed that small cluster of trees on the edge of the dirt mound.

I need to get some video together and see where I'm at now - things have improved greatly even since that round a month ago.

I changed up my grip, and added a bit of mental prep to my pre-drive routine to get my elbow up and out. I haven't measured it, but I'm pretty sure I'm hitting 300ft. during rounds now, and getting a decent amount of nose down.

I generally try to keep a very short reach back, but I don't pay a ton of attention to it. I'm definitely not extending out much more than the width of my torso anymore.

Is it common to notice an increase in velocity with those changes? The discs seem to be coming out a lot faster, even though I only added 30-40 ft. (which at these distances, seems like it could simply be nose down vs. nose up).

I still can't really hyzer flip my drivers (Champ T-bird, Z XS) - occasionally I can get my Xpress to flip, but it's inconsistent enough that I avoid it during rounds. My guess is I'm still not getting that whip action with my forearm. My x-step slows considerably into my plant step, which I feel is the hesitation/pause needed for that elbow chop to happen, but something just isn't connecting right.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The Burd's Trade List | Aviar - Zone - Buzzz - XS - Teebird - Force
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Can this picture tell me anything?

Postby Jaysus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Dr. Burd wrote:Can this picture tell me anything?

Yes. That you need a haircut.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dig It » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Jaysus wrote:

Oh you.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Star Shark » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:19 pm

To me, it' looks nose up and like the disc is well away from your body. Pull through tighter and work on getting the nose down. The anhyzer shot may account for being away from your body but you definitely want nose down on anhyzers.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Dr. Burd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Jaysus wrote:

I'd rather spend money on a lesson than for someone else to cut my hair. However, I have cut my hair since then. By the time I get video posted, you will probably have the same opinion of my hair. Your usefulness has been exhausted, you may now leave. :arrow: :lol:
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Postby Dr. Burd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Animix wrote:To me, it' looks nose up and like the disc is well away from your body. Pull through tighter and work on getting the nose down. The anhyzer shot may account for being away from your body but you definitely want nose down on anhyzers.

I'm sure you're right, but isn't that particular detail difficult to tell on a hyzer/anhyzer shot from a still picture? It would depend on when I released (which in this case was probably early, and therefore nose up) :shock:

I was under the impression that this angle (for that shot) was a decent position, provided I got around it further before releasing. I could very well be mistaken.
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Jaysus wrote:

Nah, he still has a good foot and a half left before he needs to start worrying.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:34 am

Flat footed plant step doesn't help. If you were trying to throw high being weight neutral doesn't hurt but weight forward would generate more power. I wonder if the left leg is still on the ground at the rip? The elbow should be more forward something like 4". An anny is easier to throw if the plant step were 6"+ to the left.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Dr. Burd » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:01 am

JR wrote:Flat footed plant step doesn't help. If you were trying to throw high being weight neutral doesn't hurt but weight forward would generate more power. I wonder if the left leg is still on the ground at the rip? The elbow should be more forward something like 4".

Not sure what you mean by "flat footed plant step". Are you suggesting that I should be on ball or heel pivoting at this point?

Hard to say about the left leg touching the ground. We'll have to see when I get some video. On this shot, it might not have left the ground until right after the rip - it's a pretty short hole, and I threw from a standstill. Momentum on my regular run-up drives brings that leg up and around (for better or worse).

An anny is easier to throw if the plant step were 6"+ to the left.

In relation to my left leg? For reference, the line I'm aiming for is not in line with the teepad...at all.

Thanks for your input!
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Any way that works for you for pivoting is fine as long as you don't get that much side of the ankle toward the direction you're moving in. You're severely straining yourankle and probably knee too. Ball or heel or rolling between them at different phases are all ok as long as the entire sole ain't touching the ground. And you need to pivot for power and health reasons.

The right leg should be to the left of where it is in the picture so yes in relation to the left leg too. Also left of the direction of a run up and x step body center line if there are those in other drives.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby masterbeato » Sun May 02, 2010 1:48 pm

your shoulders should be more forward an stuff.....press your face.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Return to Video Critique