Backhand help

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Backhand help

Postby xeroxed44 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:58 pm

Long time viewer, first time poster..
I need some help with my backhand drives. A little background, I've only been playing for 2 months now and I've seen quiet a bit of progression but one thing I can't overcome yet is nose up issues. Which reading through this site, is pretty common for n00bs.

I can tell from watching my own video I need a better follow through. Since I filmed that video (a week ago) I've changed my grip to something more nose down friendly. I just haven't had anytime to try it out.

Let me know what I need to work on, I'm open to all suggestions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuvan25367w

Thanks,
Steve
Destroyer-JLS-XxX/FB-Roc-Fuse-Wizard

80/20...fh/bh
xeroxed44
Noob

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Re: Backhand help

Postby Parks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:30 pm

A few things that should help nose angle issues:

Start your X-step a little slower, and slowly accelerate through the steps.

Your upper body weight also looks behind your steps throughout your X-step, which is preventing you from getting your weight forward during the pull.

Your shoulders turn too early preventing the disc from getting in close your right pec. Its away from your chest when it should be tight.

You're "scooping" somewhat. High start of pull, then a slight drop, then a slight raise. Try to start your pull line a little lower and level it out the whole way.

You're strong-arming the disc. Try to be looser with your arm through the pull and let the rest of your body do the work of accelerating and whipping it.

Fix all those and it should be pretty easy to keep the nose down, assuming your grip is sound and your wrist is in the handshake position during the finish.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby xeroxed44 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:52 pm

[quote="Parks"]Your upper body weight also looks behind your steps throughout your X-step, which is preventing you from getting your weight forward during the pull.[quote]

Can you expand on this a little bit, I realize you said it pretty straight forward, but I'm having trouble trying to visualize how I'd fix it.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Destroyer-JLS-XxX/FB-Roc-Fuse-Wizard

80/20...fh/bh
xeroxed44
Noob

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Parks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Sure.

This is one thing that slowmo is really good for. Check your video at like quarter speed and look at your weight distribution and balance over your steps, and compare that to something like this.

Most noticeably, for your first step you're just sticking your leg out like you're doing the Hokey Pokey and not really aiding getting your weight moving forward. The goal of the X-step is to twofold: to get your body aligned into proper position to throw and to build momentum to put into the disc.
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:39 pm

His footwork really is great in that video. Just one question: Does he usually go anywhere near his right pec? In this video at least the disc goes to his left pec and shoots out from there.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Parks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:32 pm

jubuttib wrote:His footwork really is great in that video. Just one question: Does he usually go anywhere near his right pec? In this video at least the disc goes to his left pec and shoots out from there.

He is a beast and gets power without getting all that close to his right pec. Its possible that he could get more power by getting closer to it.

Feldberg said that he could easily help Avery be the world distance champion but that Avery won't listen. Of course, Feldberg could be talking out of his ass or ego, so who knows?
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7nwnrYHFHI
Borg barely reaches his torso on that one. Then there's Jesper who's form also looks completely different from the one advocated here. Different strokes for different folks, all of them can still whip that disc out pretty far. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby rehder » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:29 am

Blake said somewhere that Feldberg gets very good wrist extension, so he is fine without getting it to the right pec.

The reason most ams should focus on getting it to the right pec is not because theres magic waiting to happen there, but it makes it easier to get good wrist extension along with the fact that you dont 'fire' early.

And Avery does basically get it to his right pec. He pulls the disc and elbow forward and by the time the disc would have reached his right pec he has started turning his shoulders (and hence his torso) to face the target.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:17 am

rehder wrote:Blake said somewhere that Feldberg gets very good wrist extension, so he is fine without getting it to the right pec.

Yeah, and his timing is impeccable. Kinda reminds me of Jesper, they both bend their elbows very little but you can see how their wrists give the disc all the speed it needs.

And Avery does basically get it to his right pec. He pulls the disc and elbow forward and by the time the disc would have reached his right pec he has started turning his shoulders (and hence his torso) to face the target.

I'm not sure I'm seeing this. From what I'm seeing by the time the disc would have reached his right pec he's extended his elbow quite a bit and the disc is getting close to the launch position.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Return to Video Critique