List of Grips with Pictures. Look Here First!!!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: List of Grips with Pictures. Look Here First!!!

Postby koffee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:56 pm

These are great links and I really enjoy the visuals because it limits my ability to mess up the lesson!! I changed my grip some today and moved to the 3 finger grip. My grip felt a little uncomfortable with my pinky on the disc. It seemed to force me to push my thumb to the center of the disc. This just felt more comfortable and I felt like the disc was ripping from my hand easier and I was able to hold the disc better without trying to squeeze the plastic to death.

Thanks again for all the technique information

CHEERS - Koffee
koffee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby patdabunny » Sat May 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Just to make sure I'm understanding this (please, if it's been repeated which I'm sure it has, just answer yes or no...), the grip itself DOES NOT MATTER. Just as long the disc won't slip out of your hand is what's important. The ONLY part of the grip that should be very secure is the thumb/index finger pinch and that's only clenched at the hit (mostly reflexive). Right?

I've found that I can actually pinch the disc fairly hard and still have my wrist loose. Is that normal? (I am able to wave it around like Marty Peters in the D-craft video.)

Thanks!

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Lithicon » Sat May 01, 2010 3:39 pm

In a way, the literal form you grip it with isn't quite as important. They do certain things. It's more important you perform the grip correctly and use it properly. You don't always want to use a four finger power grip with everything. But, it's generally better to use all four fingers in some manner incoporated in the grip. All your fingers play a role in your grip. Which Brings us here.

The grip should be loose till the hit, being able to wave it around is good. But, also the other three fingers should tighten up some to reduce slipping, until right after the very moment the disc is literally ripped from your hand at the hit, which this part is obvious, but for others you don't want to let your grip loose until after the hit. Blake pointed out he believes the pinky finger to be one of the key resistance fingers in nearly any grip. But, then maintain that really tight index pinch to get the leverage/pivot point also.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby patdabunny » Sat May 01, 2010 4:28 pm

Lithicon wrote:Blake pointed out he believes the pinky finger to be one of the key resistance fingers in nearly any grip.

By "key resistance fingers..." does he mean this in a good or bad way? As in something that you need to reduce or keep around?

Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby weedjj » Sat May 01, 2010 4:36 pm

quick side question about grips. I have been working from the hit back for the last month and have stopped at throwing with a run up from the right pec with no reach back and am getting positive results. I can fairly effortlessly get my midrange up to 280 and can feel a noticeable "snap" as it leaves my hand. I feel like when I am able to incorporate a reach back and get the timing right with the chest pause, I should be able to hit 310-320 with a midrange fairly easily.

However, I am not able to repeat this "snap" with discs with wider rims. Even the teebird feels burdensome when I reach the wrist snap part of the throw. My hands arent small, but I definitely have a issue with wider rims right now. WHat adjustments can I make to my grip or maybe a different grip altogether to help me get more leverage on the wider rimmed discs?
weedjj
Noob

Favorite Disc: River

Postby Lithicon » Sat May 01, 2010 5:42 pm

drledford93 wrote:
Lithicon wrote:Blake pointed out he believes the pinky finger to be one of the key resistance fingers in nearly any grip.

By "key resistance fingers..." does he mean this in a good or bad way? As in something that you need to reduce or keep around?

It is a good thing, I'll look up the post, it was something recent, and I'll post what he said.

I'm not sure the way he phrased it as far as if he said "resistance fingers." But, yes it's a good thing. It helps keep the disc in your hand till you reach the hit, instead of slipping out early. Which is why I said it's better to incorporate all four fingers into your grip, but it doesn't always need to be a four finger power grip.

However, I am not able to repeat this "snap" with discs with wider rims. Even the teebird feels burdensome when I reach the wrist snap part of the throw. My hands arent small, but I definitely have a issue with wider rims right now. WHat adjustments can I make to my grip or maybe a different grip altogether to help me get more leverage on the wider rimmed discs?

The only thing I can really think of right now is you might not be using the grip exactly right. Unless you have some majorly disfiguring ailment that keeps you from gripping correctly you should be able to normally grip up to around a speed 10 disc with decent success. I do sort of understand what you're saying as after throwing Rocs and putters for a long time during practice sessions, the cyclone isn't much bigger so it didn't bother me. But, for a little while holding onto my SOLF which is nearly the same size as a Teebird, it felt a little different. But, not enough to really change my grip. It just took me a little while to really make sure I had a good tight grip as I came to the hit so the disc wouldn't slip. Just make sure you're not trying to bend your fingers around the rim in an awkward fashion, just try to grip it nearly the same as you're mids or smaller rim stuff.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby patdabunny » Sat May 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Lithicon wrote:
drledford93 wrote:
Lithicon wrote:It is a good thing, I'll look up the post, it was something recent, and I'll post what he said.

I'm not sure the way he phrased it as far as if he said "resistance fingers." But, yes it's a good thing. It helps keep the disc in your hand till you reach the hit, instead of slipping out early. Which is why I said it's better to incorporate all four fingers into your grip, but it doesn't always need to be a four finger power grip.

So it is just to keep the disc in the hand, not for any power generation. That's what I was curious about. When I made my most recent power step, the disc was really popping loudly off my pinky, as well as my middle and index fingers. (I was gripping strongly with all of my hand, not just pinching.) This makes more sense for the pivot. Also, it makes more sense for me, in that I had real problems keeping my arm relaxed during the throw. Now I know that I can keep the disc in my hand without having to grip so d**n hard! :lol:

Daniel

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby Lithicon » Sat May 01, 2010 7:31 pm

It does actually help generate power, as it's resistance makes the snap increase due to putting more force on the disc as you build the power, your grip with lower grip strength just lets it go. You're clearly over powering the grip. The MORE you grip it, the more you're going to hit it. When you get your grip strength closer to the amount of force you're generating trying to pull the disc out of your hand, the more ACTUAL energy gets transferred to the disc. The pivot point is just that final rip point that transfers the majority of that energy.

The way I look at it, you generate X amount of energy with your throw up to the hit.
Your hand can only hold onto Y amount of energy. If X WAY exceeds Y, your having early slips losing the majority of X's potential.
So the closer Y gets to X, the more potential energy can be transferred to the disc.

I hope this makes sense.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby patdabunny » Sat May 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Lithicon wrote:It does actually help generate power, as it's resistance makes the snap increase due to putting more force on the disc as you build the power, your grip with lower grip strength just lets it go. You're clearly over powering the grip. The MORE you grip it, the more you're going to hit it. When you get your grip strength closer to the amount of force you're generating trying to pull the disc out of your hand, the more ACTUAL energy gets transferred to the disc. The pivot point is just that final rip point that transfers the majority of that energy.

The way I look at it, you generate X amount of energy with your throw up to the hit.
Your hand can only hold onto Y amount of energy. If X WAY exceeds Y, your having early slips losing the majority of X's potential.
So the closer Y gets to X, the more potential energy can be transferred to the disc.

I hope this makes sense.

Yes, it does make sense. I felt so when I made this last jump in power and d. Before, my arm was pretty stiff through my throw, robbing me of power all through the throw. The disc popped out of my hand with a poopload of energy, so much so it startled me. I was having MAJOR slippage just a little bit ago. Once I really did BW's hammer technique, it worked. I cocked my wrist and that helped me see what could happen. Now I relize that's not quite the right technique, but it illustrated what can happen. Once the weather clears up a little, I will test it out again and do some more things I have read and that I can improve upon. Gotta love practice!

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby n3tw0rkn3rd » Mon May 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Original link for Dave's Grips tips is broken. Innova must have changed it around a bit when the updated their site. Here's teh new one.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-t ... -tips.html

Or you can just go to Innova's site, highlight Home --> Dave's Tips --> then the tips article from Dave that you want to read.
n3tw0rkn3rd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Roc

Postby discspeed » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:06 am

My grip doesn't fit any examples in either Blake's link or the Innova page. Ironically, I developed it by misunderstanding some of Dave's D's written descriptions of different stack grips. So I would call mine a modified stack grip. I actually rip off my pinky, which is reinforced by my middle and ring fingers. My index finger simply steadies the disc. This grip works great for my hand and certainly took me to the next power level as it gave my small hands a stronger point of focused power on the rip.

discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Lithicon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:30 am

That's a Stacked fork Grip.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fizzy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:04 pm

tiger aqua wrote:Avery Jenkins press with entire thumb pad (pic in innova catalog) . With my thumb that grip is impossible.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/catalog10/web%2037.pdf

I don't know where to find this pdf anymore. Anyone know where to get it?
Wizard - Aviar - Roc - Leopard - PD - Predator - Wraith?
ForeverBlue232 wrote:It's probably a disc rated 12/7/-5/8. It will go roller and then when the fade kicks in, it will pop back up into the air and fade on you. hehehe
Fizzy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:11 am

A lot of the grip resources focus mostly on finger placement, what about the effects of thumb placement?
At the beginning of the year, I was using too much of the base of my thumb so I switched to the Avery thumb positioning and that fixed a lot of griplock issues. Yesterday I experimented with moving my thumb a bit further into the flight plate and found it has given me more wrist action and nose down. Is that normal or a sign I'm doing something wrong?
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby JR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:18 am

Those are desirable goals so i don't see a problem :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to Technique