noob disc golfer - critique please

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

noob disc golfer - critique please

Postby Taotefling » Sat May 01, 2010 3:26 pm

let's get this out of the way early ... I really suck at disc golf. have played probably 10 times, trying backhand five times and sidearm five times. I've decided to stick primarily with backhand and get proficient with it.

right now I'm fairly consistent at throwing my midrange about 140-150 feet, high to the left, then having it stall and crash into the ground. ouch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS_Wuv1StX0

I've read the right pec drill threads and watched MB's video. is that probably the best approach for me to try for getting better? or maybe I need an exorcism or a new hobby? ;-)

thanks
Tao Te Fling believes "Man's got to know his limitations."
Taotefling
Noob

Favorite Disc: we'll see

Re: noob disc golfer - critique please

Postby Redisculous » Sat May 01, 2010 4:15 pm

Read the maxing out at 300' thread in it's entiretey. I know it seems like a lot, but trust me. Even if you aren't maxing out at 300'.

Actually now that I think about it, you don't have to read the whole thing, you can stop reading it when people start talking about cornering. :lol:

At least read through page 12, when Keltik adds more detail to his diagram.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby discraft » Sat May 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Read the instuctional articles on the main page.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/tips.shtml
Regular Dude that likes DISCRAFT.

Force:Nuke:Avenger:Buzz:Meteor:Stratus:APX
discraft
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Meteor

Postby JR » Sun May 02, 2010 1:47 am

Try stand still throws first. Reach back farther and don't turn your upper body toward the target prior to the disc passing the right pec. This makes it easier to keep the disc close to the chest. Also do some field practice instead of playing on course and try driving with putters first. Also try to keep the disc parallel in line with the forearm. So that the disc doesn't rise sky high. Leaning forward at the waist helps too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Sun May 02, 2010 2:42 am

Redisculous wrote:Actually now that I think about it, you don't have to read the whole thing, you can stop reading it when people start talking about cornering. :lol:

Yeah, sorry about that. :oops:

I didn't mean to start a discussion with that, just wanted to mention how much the correct and incorrect ways of doing it reminded me of correct and incorrect ways of throwing. Then someone responded and it sort of got out of hand. Gomen.

But yeah, read the maxing out at 300', it's gold.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Taotefling » Sun May 02, 2010 3:27 pm

thanks all for the feedback. will definitely check out the maxing-at-300-foot article as well as some others.
Tao Te Fling believes "Man's got to know his limitations."
Taotefling
Noob

Favorite Disc: we'll see

Postby RocHed » Thu May 13, 2010 6:10 pm

Also as a newb myeself, there's one thing that I use personally when I'm throwing backhand and this may or may not work for you.

I like to start at the tip top of the pad(cement) and stand with my throwing shoulder pointing towards the direction I plan on throwing rather than trying an X-step or such I like to sssslllooowwwwwlllllyyyyy turn my hips and torso back concentrating on keeping my elbow/shoulder in a straight plane concentrating on not dipping or raising my elbow. Turning back slowly for me helps because I can immediately step off and retry as well as really getting the feeling for the winding of the torso muscles. I noticed when I just got up and threw I'd almost always end up strong-arming it. On my foreward swing I then try to accelerate as much as I can focusing on generating power from my hips while keeping my shoulder level and a tight grip. As far as release and flick/snap I can't really explain that, I find if I focus on release it actually hinders me at times when I just let it flow the disc seems to rip out of my hand usually on line.

I don't know if this is a technique that would be suggested by a more experienced player but I found in my game learning to throw backhand a darn slow body rotation focusing on form during my backswing helps me immensely. Especially when confidence is low on a long hole etc or when I first get on the course. You won't be throwing crazy distance but getting the feeling of the wind up should have you getting 5-10' after each throw. I always start like this and then I will add a bit of movement as I get comfortable.
In The Bag: ~ S-TeeRex ~ C-Firebird ~ 2x C-Wraith's ~ 2x C-Beast's ~ C-Eagle ~ FLX Drone ~ FLX Challenger ~ SSS Wizard ~
RocHed
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: D Drone

Postby Craig Smolin » Fri May 14, 2010 1:12 pm

a couple of really simple fixes will help you out:

1. drop your non-throwing arm BELOW your throwing arm. this will make it easier to reach back.

2. hold the disc flat during your reach back and pull throw

3. GRIP the disc like you mean it and THROW it like you mean it. seems to me your just kind of letting the disc fall out of your hand with minimal forward momentum.

4. be deliberate with your footwork. don't do the "fred flinstone" shuffle because it doesn't do anything to impart any force from your body to your disc.

Don't get super concerned with what each particular body part is doing. In fact, you need to adhere to "grip it and rip it" ... don't be afraid to throw the disc as hard as you can at first. then figure out the point where your power and accuracy are within your comfort zone.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Return to Video Critique