6 dyes, 6 days. Them Crooked Vultures, etc

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

6 dyes, 6 days. Them Crooked Vultures, etc

Postby BennettUA » Mon May 03, 2010 11:07 am

6 dyes in 6 days. Not a record I realize, but considering that two of them were KC Pro, I'm quite proud of the feat.
The KC Pro plastic is notorious for NOT wanting to take dye. These two Aviars took three days total, over low heat, but over a long time, and lots of rinses and resoaks. One got burnt pretty good, as I cannot stand over my stovetop for hours on end as KC requires, and the heat got too hot as my stovetop doesn't have much control between "simmer" and "1".
I double-vinyled all the Aviars(KC Pro and Glow), knowing these plastics require it, because they need more heat and time.

Image Image

The Last Man disc, Star Sidewinder. The patchy black is intentional, the black on the original logo is sort-of "stampy."

The Glow Aviar dye is of Them Crooked Vultures.
If you don't know who this is:
-- Dave Grohl, drums, backing vocals(guitarist and vocalist from Foo Fighters, and drummer for Nirvana)
Josh Homme, guitar and vocals (guitarist and vocalist from Queens of the Stone Age)
-- John Paul Jones, bass and keys and backing vocals (bassist from Led Zeppelin)
If you haven't heard them, just youtube or google.

Image Image

I did the Iowa Hawkeyes disc for the brewmaster(Aaron) at the Blind Squirrel. ESP Impact (2007 Ace Race disc)

Lastly is the Blind Squirrel logo on a Pro Firebird. This was for Will Young and the Blind Squirrel, they had a tourney up in Plumtree, NC this weekend. Lots of fun! [url="http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=1232&mode=rev"]An awesome course and people.[/url]
Lots of work in this one, came out great, except that green is always a disc dyer's worst nightmare.

Image Image
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Re: 6 dyes, 6 days. Them Crooked Vultures, etc

Postby BennettUA » Mon May 03, 2010 11:07 am

As always, these are hand-cut. Let me know what you think.
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Postby FierceTable » Mon May 03, 2010 12:29 pm

The Blind Squirrel is just sick. Does burning a disc change it's durability or flight characteristics noticably?
FierceTable
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby DiscZombie » Mon May 03, 2010 12:50 pm

dude the Them Crooked Vultures Disc is hot
DiscZombie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: D challenger

Postby BennettUA » Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 pm

FierceTable wrote:The Blind Squirrel is just sick. Does burning a disc change it's durability or flight characteristics noticably?

If you get the disc too hot while dyeing, you run the risk of warping the disc. This one is a 175g Aviar, meaning it's about as flat on top as they come, and I didn't notice any bowing to the flight plate afterwards.
But with a different disc, a different plastic, and more time and heat, and the disc could have been rendered useless.
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Postby BennettUA » Mon May 03, 2010 1:28 pm

DiscZombie wrote:dude the Them Crooked Vultures Disc is hot

Thanks. I hate that people DON'T know about this rock gem, so I'm doing my part to spread the word. Played with it in a tourney/ camping weekend this past, and everyone was asking about it. Looked great glowing up in the mountain air for night golf!
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Postby DiscZombie » Tue May 04, 2010 9:50 am

BennettUA wrote:

Thanks. I hate that people DON'T know about this rock gem, so I'm doing my part to spread the word. Played with it in a tourney/ camping weekend this past, and everyone was asking about it. Looked great glowing up in the mountain air for night golf!

yea man good stuff spread that word. Im doing my part in in Sarasota.
DiscZombie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: D challenger

Postby what'shisname » Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 am

DiscZombie wrote:
BennettUA wrote:

Get out to one of their shows if you can. So amazing. I just caught them in Vegas last month and they blew me away.

Great looking disc too!
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby BennettUA » Tue May 04, 2010 3:38 pm

what'shisname wrote:
DiscZombie wrote:
BennettUA wrote:

Get out to one of their shows if you can. So amazing. I just caught them in Vegas last month and they blew me away.

Great looking disc too!

I caught them in Charlotte, at the Filmore. A guitarist's/ bassist's/ drummer's wet dream. Took my drummer buddy who rocks the sticks, it was an early bday present for him to see Grohl play drums --- honestly, since Nirvana, the chances to see Grohl on drums have been few and far between, if at all. (I know he played with QOTSA some)
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Postby what'shisname » Tue May 04, 2010 3:46 pm

He's such a monster on the skins too. Hopefully the rumors of a 2nd TCV album come true, I'd love another shot at seeing them.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 04, 2010 4:00 pm

what'shisname wrote:He's such a monster on the skins too.
That YouTube video where he's rocking out on the toy drum set is amazing. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby ChUcK » Wed May 05, 2010 7:52 am

BennettUA wrote:As always, these are hand-cut. Let me know what you think.

I think you have some serious xacto skills. I had to inspect the blades disc closely for evidence of hand-cutting and you can just barely tell that some of the curves aren't quite perfect arcs. What shape of blade do you use?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby BennettUA » Thu May 06, 2010 3:59 pm

ChUcK wrote:
BennettUA wrote:As always, these are hand-cut. Let me know what you think.

I think you have some serious xacto skills. I had to inspect the blades disc closely for evidence of hand-cutting and you can just barely tell that some of the curves aren't quite perfect arcs. What shape of blade do you use?

I use the 360 and the standard straight blade(#7 I think?). For the blades, I actually use the straight blade, not the 360. The 360 works better for me on detail work and really tight curves, but for long curves like these blades and the others I've done, I use the straight blade and get into a good rhythm. Just the old drawing artist in me I guess :)

More examples of the blades design, all these were cut with the straight blade too.

BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Return to Disc Artwork