Snap 2009 (NEW video added)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Snap 2009 (NEW video added)

Postby patdabunny » Wed May 05, 2010 5:42 am

JR wrote:At that D you are my yardstick and should give me lessons :-) I'd say that's hitting it big time! One word of caution about slippery teepads and thinking you're safe throwing standstill -when it gets bad enough even stand stills can slip so bad that you fall when you throw hard. Raises hand. Not many can hit 375' with anything from stand still TB is kerrazy. You do need some muscle power to throw that far because speed comes from power. How tall are you and how many RPMs do you get with your Powerball and how much pinch power do you have? How fit are you?

I'd like a video from that kind of standstill shots and how a full run up looks. Should be nice indeed.

I'm 6', 140#. My powerball doesn't have the RPM counter, but I can get it pretty fast :lol: . I think this increase is due to many factors including the powerball work, getting my legs more into it, TIMING, the towel snap trick, the advice from BW, Blake, you, BU, etc, etc.

One problem I do have is that it was popping off my index finger so hard as to make it swollen today...naproxen here I come!

I'll try and get some video sometime soon for you guys.

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby MrScoopa » Wed May 05, 2010 6:43 am

Yeah the timing is the main part. I concentrate on accelerating at the apex, but if I watch in videos I clearly start accelerating at the right pec. Which is fine because I do accelerate through the hit.

And Blake has said that:

it depends. i posted those as general things so i can't say whether or not it is indicative of hitting it unless i get more specific. a 360' stationary throw with a teebird will require a pretty decent hit. a 360' stationary throw with an r pro boss is hitting some, but not all of it.

and

well, there's low snap, high snap, and medium snap. medium snap is by far the most rare (Aaron_D falls into this category).

in the 350-400' range assuming it's a male aged 16-45 without any significantly limiting physical conditions, this would quality as low snap. there might be a few cases where someone is terribly un-athletic or has some limiting factor and they have poor body positions but good timing, but this is more of a rarity.

the numbers shift around a bit and you have to keep technology in mind.

430' with a teebird is big snap.
430' with a destroyer is not big snap.

So, you are hitting it half-way. Still a huge achievement. Most people don't get that D' with full runup. Though their timing is probably wack.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Wed May 05, 2010 6:50 am

So during the recent days of crappy weather I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking about half-hitting and actively opening the wrist. I'm 100% sure that I haven't been actively opening my wrist, rather it's just been getting "pushed" open by the weight of the disc when I chop the elbow.

So yesterday was the first field practice day after having taken in all this good food for thought. (I literally brought a written checklist of things I wanted to work on, foremost being wrist action.)

After about 30 minutes trying different things, I had a thought: "why don't I just completely take my elbow out of the equation here?" So for the remainder of the practice I was starting from an arm-straight full reachback, and pretty much kept my elbow locked. Movement was from the shoulder and wrist only. Kind of a feldberg-esque pendulum type arm swing, or at least that's how I envisioned it anyway. In reality it probably looked like a horror show, but I digress.

The results, however, were very encouraging. I found that by removing the elbow from the equation, it was much easier for me to focus on my wrist. And let me tell you....the throws were PRETTY! Nice nose-down line drives out to a consistant 350-400 with valks, monarchs, bosses, etc. I think my release point while throwing this way was much lower than normal, felt like almost waist level.

Anyway, it was pretty encouraging to get that type of D with zero elbow involvement. I'd imagine that if I can figure out how to incorporate the elbow while still keeping the wrist actively involved, I might yet see that D I'm looking for.
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Postby MrScoopa » Wed May 05, 2010 11:35 am

Wrist > elbow, but the timing is easier with the bent elbow.

I got the concept of throwing the center of the disc today.

I was throwing my putter on most holes - they were 200 - 300' depending on the line. At the beginning I was having trouble in that I would throw my putter hyzer but it would immediately flip flat. That's when I got it. I was resisting the wrist snap and throwing the outside of the disc vs. being a little more relaxed and having a more incidental snap thus throwing more of the center.

Threw a few ending drives like I always try to do. I am still able to have my beast go out to my old Katana D' ~400'. As for the katana.... I am having major problems with getting the right nose angle again. It keeps stalling out at 300' - 350'. I feel like I am getting slips with it. With my beast I can feel my fingers releasing. It is just PLOP with the Katana.. gr.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby patdabunny » Wed May 05, 2010 1:55 pm

MrScoopa wrote:I was throwing my putter on most holes - they were 200 - 300' depending on the line. At the beginning I was having trouble in that I would throw my putter hyzer but it would immediately flip flat. That's when I got it. I was resisting the wrist snap and throwing the outside of the disc vs. being a little more relaxed and having a more incidental snap thus throwing more of the center.

Threw a few ending drives like I always try to do. I am still able to have my beast go out to my old Katana D' ~400'. As for the katana.... I am having major problems with getting the right nose angle again. It keeps stalling out at 300' - 350'. I feel like I am getting slips with it. With my beast I can feel my fingers releasing. It is just PLOP with the Katana.. gr.

It's funny. Once I started practicing heavily a few weeks ago, I couldn't grip my putters for drives. Now that I found my form, today I threw my putters >300' and had massive audible snap from the plastic of the disc bending and flexing off my index finger. (I know about sounds...no flaming, please.) Crazy. I used to love to drive my putters, especially the ORIGINAL, VERY soft wizards. No better driving putter made.

I was tossing my putters from about 150' on a severe hyzer line to a basket in my front yard. My wife and 2 year old were sitting 30' behind the basket watching. I told them to watch and they'll get to see what an ace looks like. Sure enough, my first throw--BAM! Severe hyzer line, nose down, and no OAT. A thing of beauty! 8)

As for your "plopping katanas," I completely understand. My nose ups and slips do the same thing. The thing that ticks me off is when I get a GREAT nose down TB drive, but the disc has no room to work! All I can think is, "All this damage to my finger for nothing! Drats!" :lol:

My beasts are the same way in feel. I'm starting to feel like it's 2003 all over again!

Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu May 06, 2010 9:52 am

drledford93 wrote:
Animix wrote:Barry does this angled reach back also. Dunno how it affects your accuracy but none of these guys are hurting for D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb7hqpMjsSg#t=0m57s

I asked Bradley about this, but haven't heard back. I figure if you just aim your shoulder a little left of target, then that will put the disc on the line it needs. It seems very effective in getting the disc to the right pec.

It depends...

For Hyser the shoulder pivots under.

Barry does it by cocking back and then dropping the shoulder joint under. I actually do that.

Others just pivot from the beginning and drop under.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby patdabunny » Thu May 06, 2010 1:52 pm

Hey Bradley--

When you were building up to what you've become in terms of snap, I imagine you had your ups and downs. Points where you just couldn't get any snap at all, no matter how hard you tried and thus your results were crappy. Could you address what you did when this happened? How did you get around it? I have heard a few others speak about it, just curious about you. I am currently in this rut and can't work my way out of it. I had a flash of brilliance and then back to dunderland... :lol:

Thanks!

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
drledford93 wrote:
Animix wrote:Barry does this angled reach back also. Dunno how it affects your accuracy but none of these guys are hurting for D

I asked Bradley about this, but haven't heard back. I figure if you just aim your shoulder a little left of target, then that will put the disc on the line it needs. It seems very effective in getting the disc to the right pec.

It depends...

Barry does it by cocking back and then dropping the shoulder joint under. I actually do that.

I have a form similar to Barry, but the angle and reach back isn't quite as extreme. Just in the past couple weeks I started dropping the shoulder and have seen an amazing increase in accuracy. added a little distance but nothing I haven't seen before(you know that 25ft that comes and goes). My goal this next month is to finally practice the PHS and get something out of my legs for once.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby josser » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:37 pm

zj1002 wrote:My goal this next month is to finally practice the PHS and get something out of my legs for once.

PHS?
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby patdabunny » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:02 am

josser wrote:
zj1002 wrote:My goal this next month is to finally practice the PHS and get something out of my legs for once.

PHS?

Pivot Hop Step.

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby josser » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:24 pm

patdabunny wrote:
josser wrote:

PHS?

Pivot Hop Step.

I have never heard of that. One of the top locals throws using a hop off his rear (plant) foot, but that's not the pivot foot. I'm having trouble picturing hopping on the pivot foot, unless that's not what is mean by pivot in "Pivot Hop Step"
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby patdabunny » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Watch Feldberg drive. He does it. It's also pretty close to the "Brinster Hop."

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:25 pm

zj1002 wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:
drledford93 wrote:

It depends...

I have a form similar to Barry, but the angle and reach back isn't quite as extreme. Just in the past couple weeks I started dropping the shoulder and have seen an amazing increase in accuracy. added a little distance but nothing I haven't seen before(you know that 25ft that comes and goes). My goal this next month is to finally practice the PHS and get something out of my legs for once.

Working on a technique with the off arm that I believe is exactly what Barry does. I have a new student. I am going to see if can use him for some video.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Flipflat » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:29 pm

Sweet, looking forward to it.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby WheelGator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:57 pm

I am a newish player but I am glad I registered here. Thanks for the video links can't wait to improve my game woot
Check out my blog, read up and vote!
http://myblogandotherthoughts.blogspot.com/
WheelGator
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Beast

PreviousNext

Return to Technique