Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Fuse

Postby Dag » Fri May 07, 2010 7:23 pm

discspeed wrote:...just doesn't float like the Opto.

Sadly, I can report that the Opto doesn't float either :cry:. Mis-judged glide (it went long) plus rain swollen stream equals bye bye to a pretty new Opto Fuse. Sigh. Guess I'm playing the GL Fuse for a while.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby rooneytunes » Fri May 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Dag wrote:A pair of 172g Fuses, 1 of each flavor, arrived in the mail yesterday and I managed to squeeze in forty minutes of throwing time last night before dark. It was a bit breezy with winds 15-20 mph which, in combination with the short time frame makes for a incomplete impression but so far so good. Discspeed sums it up well stating that the Fuse is just plain fun to throw. I had not been using a disc of this type in my regular bag (as opposed to a Super Class bag) but that short forty minutes of practice made me realize just how much I'd been missing. Anhyzer and straight to anhyzer throws were a breeze to throw compared to the GL Core I had been using for this type of shot before. On an overpowered/overangled anhyzer throw, the disc seems fairly forgiving, not immediately diving groundwards (notably more true for Opto than GL). It looks like the disc will go dead straight but I need more time with the disc and less variable/windy conditions to comment on that. On mid to low angle hyzer throws, I was seeing a tendency for the disc to go from hyzer to flat and then back to hyzer again, fading out, though there's a fair chance this could be operator error. Shame my schedule for the next coupla days is so busy as I'm itching to get out and play some more with the new toys.

Opto vs. GL: With the Fuse, I'm favoring the Opto version for much the same reasons as discspeed. The one thing that the GL Fuse did appear to do better was crosswind though I'm not certain why that would be the case. The GL Fuse appears to have a slightly lower profile (less dome) but the difference is negligible. PLH between the two is identical. As far as my other Lat 64 discs, I'm using mostly Opto. I carry a GL Striker but much of that is dictated by shape. It's not as domey as my domey Opto and not as flat as my flat Opto. I was carrying Cores in Opto and GL but will be dropping the GL Core in favor of the Opto Fuse.

One more big plus for my Opto Fuse. It's in nice, bright orange plastic and actually can be seen from a distance. Lat 64 has put out some beautiful colored discs that can be utter bastards to find as they stealth into the surrounding terrain.

ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT! I bought one. GEEZ :wink:

Your reviews are making me feel like I may have an answer to not having a beat roc in my bag.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby Monocacy » Sat May 08, 2010 9:29 pm

I have been searching for a predictable understable midrange to complement a Z Buzzz or DX Roc, and the Fuse sounds intriguing. I throw midranges for shots in the 200 – 240’ range, forehand and backhand, so I don’t need anything super-understable. Ideally, I would like something that can be powered easily for touch shots, and also hyser-flipped for straight with minimal fade tunnel shots. I have tried 168-170 Z Comets (great for field work, but not yet predictable enough for scored rounds), a domey 166 X Buzzz (horrible), and a 166 ESP Meteor (too fine a line between hyser and runaway turnover).

FWIW, I have been using Z Buzzzes as my stable midrange, but after cleaning up my throw a bit I am starting to dig DX Rocs. Sounds like the Fuse would pair better with a Roc - based on Discspeed’s review, it may be too similar to the Buzzz?

Would the Fuse be a good understable complement for the Roc / Buzzz? How does it handle a moderately clean forehand throw?
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Jeronimo » Sat May 08, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't know if I'm ready to really nail this thing down yet. I need to experiment with this disc. What discspeed has said thus far is more or less true. I'm hoping there's more potential here though than what I've seen thus far. More soon...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby BrotherDave » Sun May 09, 2010 12:37 am

What weights are yall throwing these in? I might get one to muscle my Comet out of the stable-understable slot, I'd like something just a tad more stable than the heavy Z comets I'm use to.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby discspeed » Sun May 09, 2010 5:24 am

Monocacy wrote:I have been searching for a predictable understable midrange to complement a Z Buzzz or DX Roc, and the Fuse sounds intriguing. I throw midranges for shots in the 200 – 240’ range, forehand and backhand, so I don’t need anything super-understable. Ideally, I would like something that can be powered easily for touch shots, and also hyser-flipped for straight with minimal fade tunnel shots. I have tried 168-170 Z Comets (great for field work, but not yet predictable enough for scored rounds), a domey 166 X Buzzz (horrible), and a 166 ESP Meteor (too fine a line between hyser and runaway turnover).

FWIW, I have been using Z Buzzzes as my stable midrange, but after cleaning up my throw a bit I am starting to dig DX Rocs. Sounds like the Fuse would pair better with a Roc - based on Discspeed’s review, it may be too similar to the Buzzz?

Would the Fuse be a good understable complement for the Roc / Buzzz? How does it handle a moderately clean forehand throw?

Mine are 177.
The Fuse is probably the exact same stability as a Z Comet (perhaps Fuse is a touch more understable), but it is not as touchy. It compliments a Buzzz well, sort of like a Meteor, but it is not quite as understable as a Meteor. It is also slower than the Meteor with more glide, and this makes it feel a little more predictable and helps with touch shots. The Fuse is excellent at the slight hyzer flip to flat straight shot. It does not really overlap with the Buzzz because with the slow glide all of its lines shape up different except the straight shot. It would probably overlap more with the Roc, because essentially it flies like a beat Roc already. Its like a dx Roc that has been beat just enough to lose its LSS, but still retain decent HSS. However, its still glidier than the Rancho.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Monocacy » Sun May 09, 2010 6:42 am

Thank you, Discspeed, that sounds like just what I am looking for. I prefer Buzzz to Roc for forehand anyway, so perhaps the Buzzz – Fuse combination would be ideal, providing different stabilities as well as different speeds. To get similar distance, I assume that you would need to throw the Fuse on a higher line than the Buzzz?

Sounds like I should add an Opto Fuse or two to my next order.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Jeronimo » Sun May 09, 2010 2:35 pm

As someone who throw's the Core a LOT i'm not sure I see the point in this disc yet. I throw it on the same lines I throw my worn in Core's on. I'm thinking maybe what i'm really meant to do is throw the 200' shot with the Fuse that would fly identically to the 300' shot with the Core?

I would also warn people that EVERY disc fades at the end of its flight, as long as it has time to run out of spin before it hits the ground. The Coment or the Fuse are no exception. I've had my Fuse fade out on me a couple times on longer downhill shots just like my Comets have. So don't buy the Fuse thinking its going to fly perfectly straight and drop flat... cause it won't.

I'm thinking this is going to be another one that requires some time to let it age and let people have those "Hmmmm I wonder if I can make it through that..." moments before we figure out what it really can do.

It really is a lot like a Comet flight wise though. In a nut shell I would describe it as a disc that flies like a Comet but feels like a Core in your hands.
Last edited by Jeronimo on Sun May 09, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby discspeed » Sun May 09, 2010 3:02 pm

The Fuse holds some of the smoothest anhyzer lines of any disc I've thrown. I threw mine out over the water today and let it sail right the whole way to the basket. The way the Fuse floats forward as it turns makes it more forgiving than the Buzzz. It is also less nose angle sensitive than the Buzzz altogether. So far it is working very nicely in my flippy Buzzz slot.
discspeed

Postby turso » Sun May 09, 2010 5:21 pm

shit, I think I have to get two of those in opto.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Jeronimo » Sun May 09, 2010 6:30 pm

My pink opto's hold the turn longer than my neon yellows. I also don't see any difference between the opto and golds that people have talked about. They've been flying just about the same for me.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Risk » Mon May 10, 2010 6:54 am

I've been using a beat ESP Buzzz for all understable mid duties and it's okay but not perfert. Will the Fuse when thrown flat flip and start tracking to the right (RHBH) or does it need a little anhyzer release angle?
Force - Z Nuke - Predator - Stalker - Buzzz - Fuse -Zone - Focus
Risk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby discspeed » Mon May 10, 2010 7:19 am

Risk wrote:I've been using a beat ESP Buzzz for all understable mid duties and it's okay but not perfert. Will the Fuse when thrown flat flip and start tracking to the right (RHBH) or does it need a little anhyzer release angle?

If thrown flat and hard they will track right slowly (LHBH). I like throwing them with a touch of anny and not quite as hard and then letting the disc hold rather than flip.
discspeed

Postby Jeronimo » Mon May 10, 2010 9:12 am

They really don't flip much and they seriously hold that angle you released them at for the longest I've ever seen.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 10, 2010 9:48 am

discspeed wrote:
Risk wrote:I've been using a beat ESP Buzzz for all understable mid duties and it's okay but not perfert. Will the Fuse when thrown flat flip and start tracking to the right (RHBH) or does it need a little anhyzer release angle?

If thrown flat and hard they will track right slowly (LHBH). I like throwing them with a touch of anny and not quite as hard and then letting the disc hold rather than flip.

Did you mean RHBH or don't they turn even when thrown flat and hard?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment