plotters

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: plotters

Postby Thommie » Sat May 01, 2010 4:43 pm

The cricuit cutter is great for scrapbooking. Not for dyeing discs. You can only cut premade shapes and preloaded fonts. You cannot use your own designs. I don't think it's a good idea..
I don't think it's overlooked I think it's looked at once and then never again.
i've hit the chains 16 times on a teeshot. Ask me how many aces i have.
Thommie
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Elite-Z buzz

Postby marmoset » Sat May 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Thommie wrote:The cricuit cutter is great for scrapbooking. Not for dyeing discs. You can only cut premade shapes and preloaded fonts. You cannot use your own designs. I don't think it's a good idea..
I don't think it's overlooked I think it's looked at once and then never again.

He mentioned software that will let you create your own shapes.
Sure Cuts A Lotis another Cricut program that will let you create and cut custom shapes. I have used it in conjunction with Illustrator and it works as advertised. I have not cut vinyl with the Cricut but I'm sure it would only take a little tuning to get it right.

It might just be me but it seemed like the Cricut blades dull really quickly and you have to replace those sticky mats too often for my tastes. You could use spray-on adhesive on the mats but that will void your warranty if you are worried about that kind of thing.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby jabanger » Mon May 10, 2010 10:09 am

I just attempted my first dye over the weekend. My wife who is a major scrapbooker said that the Cricut probably wouldn't be the best product because you are limited to what is on their cartridges. She said a better item would be a Silhouette which is just like the Cricut but runs off of either a pc or you can preload images to an SD card. It also allows for custom work. I was looking in on it and you are probably looking at about $240 for the model that will allow the SD card use.
jabanger
Noob

Favorite Disc: Discraft NUKE!!!

Postby marmoset » Mon May 10, 2010 10:41 am

jabanger wrote:I just attempted my first dye over the weekend. My wife who is a major scrapbooker said that the Cricut probably wouldn't be the best product because you are limited to what is on their cartridges. She said a better item would be a Silhouette which is just like the Cricut but runs off of either a pc or you can preload images to an SD card. It also allows for custom work. I was looking in on it and you are probably looking at about $240 for the model that will allow the SD card use.

Sure Cuts A Lot is another Cricut program that will let you create and cut custom shapes

I pulled this quote from the post above yours. It allows you to create and cut custom shapes from your PC. Not bad if you already have access to a Cricut.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Previous

Return to Disc Artwork