Some Rainy Day Throws for Critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Some Rainy Day Throws for Critique

Postby maxarinkel » Mon May 10, 2010 4:20 pm

It's raining today, so here are some indoor throws. The first "standing" throws are what I usually do, and the full throws are just what I've been working on, pretty unsuccessfully. I'm working on smooth and fast for the standing throws, mostly relying on snap. That's what I've been playing with for about a month, trying to get it down pat. The fulls should do a good job of illustrating the reason why I tend to stick with the standing throws. I have no snap and as hard as I try to be smooth and slow it really doesn't seem to be getting through. Anyway, have at it. I'd love to hear some advice. Standing, I was laying up shots in the 320 to 350 range when I played yesterday. I would imagine that the fulls are less than that but I'm not sure.

Oh and sorry for the horrible quality and lack of slomo. I don't have the budget for a camera atm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE9XitD4yXY

EDIT:
Ok, here's me trying to keep the disc closer and start the throw more relaxed and lower on my torso.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bOChei6CsA
Last edited by maxarinkel on Tue May 11, 2010 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
maxarinkel
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Some Rainy Day Throws for Critique

Postby masterbeato » Mon May 10, 2010 7:35 pm

the disc is too far away from your body...work on tucking that in closer. like within an inch.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby maxarinkel » Mon May 10, 2010 8:02 pm

masterbeato wrote:the disc is too far away from your body...work on tucking that in closer. like within an inch.

I know you are about my size, so do you have a tip on how to scrunch that arm in without it feeling like i'm locking my elbow? I feel like it's either locking or I'm bouncing the disc off my pec when I come through closer. I will def work on that though. thanks
maxarinkel
Noob

Postby JR » Tue May 11, 2010 12:33 am

Your plant position varies some. In the first camera angle the right foot should be 4-6" to the right of were it was for flat releases. Getting the elbow forward does make the muscles and tendons feel awkward as the tendons and muscles compress and unload. That spring like action is the point. You should look for that. It does get easier with time as the body conditions to it. If you really lock the elbow it hurts like hell and the remedy is to start the straightening of the elbow an inch or two earlier in the elbow forward motion.

You rip hard from the get go in the arm motion. Try a stand still chest locked 90 degrees left of the target toss with the upper arm straight at the target and the elbow opened so that the front of the disc is 8-10" short of where it is when the arm is fully straightened at the target. That's around where you need to add power to the arm punch forward. Once you get comfy with that start at the right pec still locking the chest direction at 90 away from the target. As that gets good add the foot pivot, waist turn and shoulder motion. Always accelerating at the same point. Then it's a matter of adding one step at a time and a lot of repetition.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby maxarinkel » Tue May 11, 2010 6:01 am

So you're saying I should have my elbow pointed at the target and my forearm perpendicular to my body/upper arm and finish from there to start and work back?
maxarinkel
Noob

Postby maxarinkel » Tue May 11, 2010 7:09 am

I posted another vid of me trying some stuff you guys were talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bOChei6CsA
maxarinkel
Noob

Postby JR » Tue May 11, 2010 12:13 pm

That's the idea. Your new vid has varying acceleration points and elbow distance from the right side and that's normal. This is difficult to learn. Sometimes your elbow was well ahead of the side and you accelerated late so you're getting there. Repetition gets you there.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby maxarinkel » Wed May 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Well, I did some field work today and my averages have jumped from 330 to 380, which is great. It's ridiculous to think about how you guys touch 400 and 500 so damn easily. It's strange to think about how much my size and strength is hampering me for once. Oh well, more drills and video and rinse and repeat. Thanks for everybody's help. I'll try and keep posting things as I need more eyes.
maxarinkel
Noob

Postby JR » Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 am

Hey that's a great jump in distance! Congratulations! It's enough to win in amateur competitions in most courses. Perhaps even in wide open long holes. Especially if you can roll.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Video Critique