XBOX 360 Open Tray

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

XBOX 360 Open Tray

Postby colombo117 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:49 pm

I have this problem for a few months now. My 360 is past warranty, was wondering if you guys know of any solutions. I searched online but I don't think I want to open mine up and start dissecting it. Will probably just send it in to get it fixed.
From what I know it is a problem with the tracks that the lens slides on and its not moving the lens into the right spot to recognize the disc, so it thinks its empty.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Re: XBOX 360 Open Tray

Postby maks » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:56 pm

when my 360 broke i did the walmart swap a roo........try looking it up.....its probably too risky but i was super broke.
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Postby 707cnash » Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 am

haha, thats my favorite move at walmart, i just did that with my old vaccum cleaner, it works really good at a sams club/costco they never check if you put packing tape around the box. As far as your xbox goes its a pretty easy fix, either you drive is dirty as hell or something came loose, ive been modding xbox360s for a few years let me know if you want me to fix it, ill do it for free and if you want i can mod it for free as well and yes, its online safe and would probablly take me 5 minutes from start to finish. thats if you want to pay for the shipping of course, plus all ive got is 3 games right now assassins 2, new splinter cell, and tekken6
707cnash
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: halo

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue May 04, 2010 10:49 am

^^Does this offer apply to all DGR'ers or just colombo117?^^
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby 707cnash » Tue May 04, 2010 12:26 pm

everybody for sure, im a nerd through and through im more than glad to help you out man.
707cnash
Tree Magnet

Postby colombo117 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:25 am

Thats a really nice offer, I would not want any mods. I have already opened my xbox but I don't have the right tools at the moment. Do you know of any walkthroughs that are easy to follow?
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby 707cnash » Thu May 06, 2010 8:15 am

I cant really think off the top of my head but youtube is the best resource for ghetto fixing and modding and it can teach you some cool stuff. I would also check afterdawn.com in the forums area and xboxscene.com, those are the best forum sites to get xbox fix info from.
707cnash
Tree Magnet

Postby mzuleger » Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 am

707cnash wrote:I cant really think off the top of my head but youtube is the best resource for ghetto fixing and modding and it can teach you some cool stuff. I would also check afterdawn.com in the forums area and xboxscene.com, those are the best forum sites to get xbox fix info from.

I have a 360 that got the RROD, I tried fixing it with washers but it didn't work (because I don't really know what I'm doing)... do you think it's still fixable?
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby 707cnash » Tue May 11, 2010 2:34 pm

yes for sure, i did the exact same thing as you did but in the end, I went to craigslist and had a guy in sacramento resolder my connections to the motherboard and its been running since then, also, if your handy with a solder gun this can be an easy fix ill have to find the link but theres a site that tells you exactly how to fix it without washers/towel method. but no worries on the 3rod 99% of them can be fixed. I got this info below from a friend. This is very true and is the only way to fix this problem.

Almost NOTHING short of a "proper" reflow will fix an xbox 360. There have been xrays taken of the CPU and GPU showing that microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, used too conservative of a heating profile when attaching the bga CPU and GPU.

Don't do the xclamp fix, the towel trick, etc. I personally started with the standard xclamp fix/ overheat trick, and noticed 2 things.

#1. Afterwards, the console will get EXTREMELY loud when operating. I do not know for certainty, however, I believe this is due to a poorly connected temperature sensor that is not correctly reattached doing the standard xclamp fix.

#2. The console WILL die again. This is not an "if" but instead a "when". It will be anywhere from 2 weeks to 9 months.

So in the end, find somebody who can reflow the solder beads and you'll be good as new : )

mzuleger wrote:
707cnash wrote:I cant really think off the top of my head but youtube is the best resource for ghetto fixing and modding and it can teach you some cool stuff. I would also check afterdawn.com in the forums area and xboxscene.com, those are the best forum sites to get xbox fix info from.

I have a 360 that got the RROD, I tried fixing it with washers but it didn't work (because I don't really know what I'm doing)... do you think it's still fixable?
707cnash
Tree Magnet

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:04 am

I got the dreaded RROD last night :(

My girlfriend thought it was funny as shit. I should have had a disc golf dream last night. O yeah, I did but it didn't cause me to bh her, crap.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby JohnnyB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:23 pm

707 were you ever involved with the dreamcast emulation and mod scene back in the day?
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:50 am

Has anyone tried the Red Ring of Death fix themselves? Or has anyone sent their xbox back to Microsoft?

I want to know:
1- How difficult is the repair and how often does it work
2- How much does it cost for Microsoft to fix rrod and how long to get it back?

Thanks
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby 707cnash » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:41 pm

this assuming that you dont have a microsoft warranty, if you do, give it to them until your warranty is up.

well to fix the 3rrod it can be extremly time consuming and tough if you dont know what your doing, theres some good ways and then theres some shitty ways of doing it. Never ever buy a 3rrod repair kit, they give you washers and new screws to put in place but I swear up and down it only works for 3 months, I did it 3 times with these until I figured out how to get it done correctly , if you want it to work for more than 3 months get this http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id=918

this is the main reason for the 3rrod, the solder heats up the glue making your heatsink hit the board causing the 3 rings, its actually called arctic silver, its this nasty smelly paste that sucks ass its applied to your gpu heatsink on the bottom, your best bet if you dont have a warranty is pay somebody to do a full clean and resolder, I use craigslist in sacramento everytime I get a used 3rrod xbox, they clean and re solder the bridge points and shoot while your at it, you should have them put on the new heatsink it would save time and a headache and probably a good year and a half of extra life on the xbox, all together I would say its gonna run 60 bucks to get it fixed, 30 for the new gpu heatsink and another 30 for a well deserved clean, but its better then spending 30 dollars on a shitty kit, and I know that link site is a little shitty but those guys are legit and there prices are the best trust me. shoot me a pm and I can probably walk you through it if you want

uNicedmeMan wrote:Has anyone tried the Red Ring of Death fix themselves? Or has anyone sent their xbox back to Microsoft?

I want to know:
1- How difficult is the repair and how often does it work
2- How much does it cost for Microsoft to fix rrod and how long to get it back?

Thanks
707cnash
Tree Magnet

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Word, thanks 707cnash.

I've been to lazy to find out if my xbox is still under warranty but I will be doing that tonight. I have found some of the guys on CL advertising to fix rrod but I am afraid to be scammed. Maybe I'll ask them to explain what they are going to do and see if it lines up with what you stated here:

707cnash wrote:this is the main reason for the 3rrod, the solder heats up the glue making your heatsink hit the board causing the 3 rings, its actually called arctic silver, its this nasty smelly paste that sucks ass its applied to your gpu heatsink on the bottom, your best bet if you dont have a warranty is pay somebody to do a full clean and resolder, I use craigslist in sacramento everytime I get a used 3rrod xbox, they clean and re solder the bridge points and shoot while your at it, you should have them put on the new heatsink it would save time and a headache and probably a good year and a half of extra life on the xbox, all together I would say its gonna run 60 bucks to get it fixed, 30 for the new gpu heatsink and another 30 for a well deserved clean, but its better then spending 30 dollars on a shitty kit, and I know that link site is a little shitty but those guys are legit and there prices are the best trust me. shoot me a pm and I can probably walk you through it if you want
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby 707cnash » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:11 pm

yea some guys on there are really sketchy and there are scammers out there for sure, ive heard of one guy who can fix any xbox but what he does is, he guts your xbox, replaces it with new customers parts and keeps this fucked up cycle going so it could up to 2 months till you get it back, before you go to one of these guys send me the link and maybe I can help with that

uNicedmeMan wrote:Word, thanks 707cnash.

I've been to lazy to find out if my xbox is still under warranty but I will be doing that tonight. I have found some of the guys on CL advertising to fix rrod but I am afraid to be scammed. Maybe I'll ask them to explain what they are going to do and see if it lines up with what you stated here:

707cnash wrote:this is the main reason for the 3rrod, the solder heats up the glue making your heatsink hit the board causing the 3 rings, its actually called arctic silver, its this nasty smelly paste that sucks ass its applied to your gpu heatsink on the bottom, your best bet if you dont have a warranty is pay somebody to do a full clean and resolder, I use craigslist in sacramento everytime I get a used 3rrod xbox, they clean and re solder the bridge points and shoot while your at it, you should have them put on the new heatsink it would save time and a headache and probably a good year and a half of extra life on the xbox, all together I would say its gonna run 60 bucks to get it fixed, 30 for the new gpu heatsink and another 30 for a well deserved clean, but its better then spending 30 dollars on a shitty kit, and I know that link site is a little shitty but those guys are legit and there prices are the best trust me. shoot me a pm and I can probably walk you through it if you want
707cnash
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.