Best putter from 40' and in??

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best putter from 40' and in??

Postby adidadg » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:45 am

I'm looking for suggestions on a new putter. I have been using a Putt'r which has worked ok in the past but lately the feel of it has been bugging me because of the deep rim. I have a Pro Classic Roc which I love using for approach shots so I am really just looking for something for putting within the circle. I find the classic roc to be a little fast for this purpose.

I know the wizard is a popular choice, but when I read a good review it usually refers to the wizards driving capabilities rather than how it performs as a putter so any further insight would be good. So basically I want something slower than the classic roc but otherwise similar stability wise (which is pretty much dead on stable). But not so slow that it has a really deep rim...any suggestions?? If it helps, my putting style is a pretty standard short arm push putt, with flat release.
adidadg

Postby Solty » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:57 am

supersoft omega, soft wizard....soft magnet
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby adidadg » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:01 am

I should have mentioned I cant stand the supersofts...how soft is the soft wizard in comparison to the SS omega? I'm after something semi-stiff and probably in DX plastic or something grippy.
adidadg

Postby asimo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:04 am

The soft Wizard in S plastic is not that different from a normal dx putter. Nothing near as soft as a pro Rhyno, JK Aviar or Omega SS.

I can also vouge for the Wizard's abilities inside of 40'. It has brought a new feeling of confidence to my short game.
asimo
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:12 am

If you like the Classic Roc, than try out some XDs. The XD is basically the same mold as the Classic Roc but not quite as low speed overstable. They are great for just throwing on a rope dead straight at the basket. They have a shallower rim that most putters so they come off of your hand easier. I used to use XDs for all my regular putting and than a Pro Line Classic Roc for windy days.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:14 am

I've only been playing for about six months, and it's my first putter, but the Aviar P&A has been good to me thus far. It's DX, and fairly stiff but still grippy in the fingers. It does tend to stiffen up further in cold weather though.

For what it's worth, it's claimed to be "the number one putter in disc golf"...

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Fritz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:31 am

I alternate between a 175g, Medium Wizard and a 175g Soft Wizard, depends on the wind.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby presidio hills » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:20 pm

adidadg,

if you want something with a shallow rim the XD is a good choice... they seem interchangable with a classic roc, though, so it may not be what you're looking for. i think polecats also have shallower rims than most. wizards, aviars, magnets, putt'rs etc... are those too deep for you?
the wizard plastics are awsome, the "soft" S plastic is still just as rigid as a pro D challenger (and more than DX plastic), the medium is a little stiffer still, and i haven't tried the firm yet. E wizards feel like old CE plastic (mmmmm) and are gummier than S wizards. wizards are slightly overstable on putts... like a big bead aviar.
i say stick to the classic roc, or try an XD if you need a shallow rim. otherwise, wizards are great... but there's a bunch of different putters that work equally well within' 40'... it's a matter of plastic preference, how it feels in your hand, and if you can get 5 for $35 shipped to your door ;)
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:49 pm

It really depends on your style of putting. I used a putt'r for a while and didn't like it. But, I rememer it being stable. Something like a magnet may work for you.

I like overstable putters especially for the wind. I do prefer a wizard, and if you don't like soft, they make a medium, firm, and e variety. It is definately worth a try. My next recommendation would be a pro d challenger, also an overstable putter.

The gem that I'm not sure people have realized is the banger gt. This is a very good putter. It doesn't seem as overstable as a wizard to me. For pure putting, this would probably be my choice. Another must try, IMHO. My gf is currently using my banger or I would still be trying it out.

I still like the wizard a little bit better though.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:37 pm

I tried out the Banger GT, and I jsut didn't like it. It's pretty nice for Driving with, but it just doesn't fit my style of putting. that's why I use the Wizard. Wizard is great for my style of putt. I've been trying to model my putt after Walter Haney. Watch the video Blake posted it's amazing to watch him putt. It's liek he jsut flicks his wrist and the disc goes int eh basket.

I think the thing aobut he Banger I disliked was that grove, it just felt weird having that trac there.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Spencer Olson » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:30 pm

the juju is the best for me.
spence
Spencer Olson
Noob

Postby Solty » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:39 pm

i found that once the banger get beat up...its very understable... until it got beat up...it was comprable to the other 3 i mentioned. i always care my 'ace in the hole' putter as well. i'm hooked on the 86 softie as well....the disc never runs away on me...:):)

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Smyith » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:18 pm

i have been using a medium wizard for all my putts 25' +. it works great except it bbounces off the chains sometimes so i am ordering a soft wizard in hopes that it will stick to the chains better. really the wizard is so versitlie its amazing. definitly the best putter ive ever uzed.
although i must admit the putt'r is awesome for drives but i think it sux for putting.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby adidadg » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:39 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I went to the local store indending to get a wizard, but instead got a black 174 banger gt. I noticed that the profile between the two is very similar, but i just liked the feel of the banger much more (and the price). So far I am very impressed, it kind of has the feel of a soft putter, but it fllies as true as a stiff putter. Also the blend of pro-D plastic feels great and grippy, kind of feels like the plastic used for the Drone. Still in the early stages of experimentation though....
adidadg

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:32 pm

i use the bangers too, and find they fly fairly similar to the wizard too. They have a lower profile rim which helps me get smoother releases for putts.

The only problems I have come across is:
they beat alittle faster than wizards
they dont keep that grippy feel too long, they get alittle smooth with dust and wear.
They bounce out a bit.
the vairation in softness varies by temperature more than most putters ive tried. They get pretty soft in left in the sun long, and pretty stiff in the cold. (especially in black, which is all ive found in the weights I like)

I reccommend you wash them regulary, keeps the grippier longer.
and Sand out your Imperfections regulary also (just before you wash them is perfect)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Next

Return to Equipment