Relatively new player ripping 500'+

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Relatively new player ripping 500'+

Postby Parks » Mon May 10, 2010 7:35 pm

This is from the DGCR forums.

This guy clearly doesn't have the greatest form because he is very new to the game, but he hits it really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MdsB8na ... r_embedded

I thought I would bring this up as an interesting case study, because as Blake has pointed out, you want to ignore the differences in the forms of long throwers and get to the similarities. Find the similarities in this guys throw with one of the known big guns out there and you may find it highlights what you should be working on.

Yes, there is wind in this video, but he bombs 500'+ in other videos without wind. I posted this one because you can see his form in it.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Relatively new player ripping 500'+

Postby patdabunny » Mon May 10, 2010 7:43 pm

I've watched his other vids and I see is that he's focusing on the hit and the way the arm comes through isn't close to the chest, but it's obvious that it creates a ton of power. Prior to the hit, he looks remarkably unsettled like Josh Anthon. If he could get the nose down, he'd be well over 600'. Sick.

It doesn't even look like he gets his lower body into it much. Maybe I'm not seeing it, but he has to be getting some to get it 550'. Has to. Right?
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby MotoDj » Mon May 10, 2010 7:57 pm

that 3rd throw the disc looks like its rubbing his chest...
least when i pause the vid it looks that way
MotoDj
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: i carry 6 favorites

Postby Jsw » Mon May 10, 2010 8:47 pm

The one thing that jumps out to me is that he's releasing the disc late in his throw(I.E. like you should, like Beato talks about in one of his videos). He's not releasing early like I(and many others) struggle with.
Jsw

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby black udder » Mon May 10, 2010 9:52 pm

that's really funny how the camera man say "jesus" on that last throw...the timing, you can just imagine what's going through his head when he says it :)

He's getting lots of finish power, he's cranking late and finishing fast.

Throwing like that I wonder about his accuracy. Not that I think it's bad, I'd be interested in knowing if he's accurate. It looks like that swing is really wild. Most of them were swooping nose up anhyzers. Incredible to get that far
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Lithicon » Mon May 10, 2010 11:40 pm

I've been participating in the thread on DGCR with this guy. He's just starting and has no real direction as far as the game goes. His accuracy isn't all that bad, he played a few rounds with some of the guys from DGCR and they said he wasn't that bad. He's starting to practice on accuracy and stuff like that. His only course was on the base he's stationed at which is a converted ball golf course. Two 650+ holes from what I understand.

But, you mentioned his wild form, lol. Others mentioned his first vids he was MUCH worse, still throwing over 450'. LOL He cleaned his form up a bit and has cleared 500'+. You seen from the last he hit nearly 550, they measured it at 549'. Pretty damn nice. He's got a very athletic background, plays in a semi-pro football league, and played soccer and lots of other sports. He's obviously a specimen of natural athleticism, but just happen to hit it really early and has a great feel for what it takes to throw far. If he cleans up the first part of his form, run up, cleaner pull and gets the nose down. I think he can hit 600'. The vid that was posted was filmed in a big crosswind.
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby Sean40474 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:51 am

That is crazy D for being a noob to throwing disc.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby JHern » Tue May 11, 2010 3:30 am

You can tell he is getting tendon bounce, has great grip strength, and a lot of power is channeled into the disc going into the rip. I would venture a guess that he is already athletically conditioned, which makes a big difference.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Lithicon » Tue May 11, 2010 3:48 am

Yeah, he is. That's why I said he has a very athletic background, football semi-Pro and played soccer for a long time. Plus lots of other stuff.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 11, 2010 3:51 am

Lithicon wrote:Yeah, he is. That's why I said he has a very athletic background, handegg semi-Pro and played football for a long time. Plus lots of other stuff.

Fixed.

Back on subject, yeah, some people just get the hang of it very naturally. Good for him, that's an excellent place to develop from.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Lithicon » Tue May 11, 2010 4:36 am

jubuttib wrote:
Lithicon wrote:Yeah, he is. That's why I said he has a very athletic background, handegg semi-Pro and played football for a long time. Plus lots of other stuff.

Fixed.

Back on subject, yeah, some people just get the hang of it very naturally. Good for him, that's an excellent place to develop from.

LULZ! Silly Europeans!
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kachtz1 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:39 pm

thank you whoever posted the video!

i was finially able to create a profile on this thing, i was actually going to post video on here because i was told i could get some more advice on this webpage..

thats my bad form you see in the video :lol:

i started playing april 5th last month, and i enjoy playing courses in the woods more than the open courses now..where there is a lot more trouble etc.

but i do want to try to get into some distance throwing events, and was hoping people on here would have some advice or ideas for me to try.

I have 2 driver disc so far, a boss disc and destroyer disc...im not sure where to go from here
kachtz1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JohnnyB » Tue May 11, 2010 7:34 pm

As someone who's been working hard for years to get even close to that kind of distance I can tell you where to go. :lol:
Seriously though. Drives are awesome. Work on accuracy on landing as well as flight path (playing wooded courses will help that) and don't ignore your mid and short game. The advice given to me when I started was "Drive for show, putt for dough."
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby black udder » Tue May 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Lithicon wrote:Yeah, he is. That's why I said he has a very athletic background, football semi-Pro and played soccer for a long time. Plus lots of other stuff.

Naturally athletic? He should be throwing cheetahs and Aviars.... bitch :P

gawd, yeah, I drug that up :)

As for you, kachtz1, yeah, on the funny side, I'm with JohnnyB ("I can tell you where to go) :D

as for form, I'd recommend checking out the technique thread and look at the primer stickey. It has a bunch of basic info, terms and some great reading threads for you to catch up on.

It looks like you have a swoop going on. For shorter holes (<300') you might try a shortened reach back with a midrange of your choice and that could improve your accuracy. With no help, you do what a bunch of us have been trying to do for some time - get good snap and develop good timing. The late pull and great finish really give you great power, now you just need to find a way to temper it for the majority of the time (since most courses are shorter). You should get a good overtable putter (wizard is a hot one around here, but there are some newer ones as well) and practice driving with that. It'll cut down on the left to right movement and skips to give you better accuracy as the disc slows down and lands.

You should also read the keeping the nose down threads you come across. That, lord, I can believe I'm saying it, will give you more distance :) You'll get more natural flights. Right now I'd bet that you're turning those discs over and getting the full flight from some anhyzer angle or OAT. Once you get a hyzer release and nose down, those discs will behave differently.

You've got a great start. Keep it up!
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby rusch_bag » Tue May 11, 2010 8:33 pm

God damn I wanted to bring up the Matt reference.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Next

Return to Video Critique