Relatively new player ripping 500'+

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Relatively new player ripping 500'+

Postby Lithicon » Tue May 11, 2010 8:39 pm

Lulz, you went there with the Cheetahs! :lol:

The Destroyer is great. I suggest getting an Eagle X mold, keeping the Roc, and getting a Wizard or Warlock putter.
Anyway, he said he had a Roc and an Aviar, I suggested a more stable putter on DGCR as well. From what they said his accuracy isn't all that bad, but who can't use more accuracy?!?!?! I was going to post these last night, but got sleepy and didn't feel like getting back up to post the links to the threads. Anyway, here are some links to get you started.

The Technique section can be found on the board index.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8925
Technique primer, large collection of vids, and other topics on technique.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16564
About throwing nose down and how getting your weight forward helps. Which I noticed I think you could possibly use some more weight forward.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles.shtml
Off the main site, gives a run down of some articles around the net, and some written by Blake.

There are more, but that is a lot and I'm sure you'll find other stuff a long the way. It's actually kind of hard to find specific articles just pertaining to a specific idea. As they all sort of mix and mingle. But, try not to get caught up on too many of the long winded discussions. You have a lot of what this site discusses, you need some of the more basics about keeping your pull tight, pulling on plane, trying to keep the nose down. Using a little less run up, and keeping it smoother, as well as clean finish with weight forward and nice pivot.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby JR » Tue May 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Welcome kachtz1 and kudos for power. For distance competitions throwing form is different from most golf shots. You wanna learn the 360 spin. Try using Teebirds and Valkyries apexing anny at different heights and nose down angles from 70' up in 10' intervals finding out which anny angle and height gives you most D. And has the disc landing after a long dive with the front of the disc lower than the rear flat or only slightly hyzer. Once you learn what different nose angles do with those discs feel free to try out faster discs and see how they need lower apexes and often more anny sans perhaps Katana. Then you should know what your longest disc is in calm weather and thereafter it's a matter of learning to ride the wind. The articles on the main page explain that. The longest calm weather disc may very well not be the longest wind disc. And winds give the longest tosses.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Prerube » Wed May 12, 2010 6:29 am

I was there that day. He is a natural athlete, he has a friend who as just as tall that throws over 400 ft after playing for less than 2 months. I posted in DGCR that he would be sub 900 for his PDGA rating, but he is pure potential.
Prerube
Ruby's Pimp-ass shirt revival

Postby kachtz1 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:36 am

i have read all the things suggested here, im going to give it a try friday or saturday and see what happends, i also recently aquired 2 new discs..Surge SS and a Katana, that i will try out.
kachtz1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Parks » Thu May 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Those are both distance drivers, which you already have two of (Boss and Destroyer).

You'd probably expand your game more by grabbing a fairway driver such as a Champ Teebird or Star Eagle. It will fill the gap between your mids and your long drivers.

You also lack a disc that will fight a headwind. A Z Predator, Champ Firebird, or a "poppy top" Echo Star Xcaliber seem to be the popular choices for this. The Xcal won't fight a headwind as well and will break in much quicker, but its what a lot of the big guns use for long and accurate drives.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jeronimo » Thu May 13, 2010 2:46 pm

So. Did. I.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby kachtz1 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:10 pm

thanks! i have a fairway driver now! and man that does make a big difference, as i have trouble throwing the Roc disc i have over 300'
this thing will go up to or around 400 and fly pretty stable...i think the name is a Star TL its 170gm...so this will be my 280-380 disc depending on the wind!

also i started trying to get better form on the drives, and found that if i just faced backwards with my arm out pointing away from the basket, i could just take 2 steps and throw...focusing on pulling the disc in a straight line across my chest and keeping my wrist angled down...just doing that i can throw very straight between 420-460, and feels like i am giving so much less effort that if i were to use my old form and try to throw that far...im letting the disc do the work now i suppose, and i am flipping the discs over a little too easy now, so i had to compensate a lot on my angle of release.

i have started working on the 360 drive thing recently, and hope to break 600 once i can get that figured out.

thanks for your help guys. :mrgreen:
kachtz1
Noob

Postby black udder » Sun May 16, 2010 7:46 pm

kachtz1 wrote:thanks! i have a fairway driver now! and man that does make a big difference, as i have trouble throwing the Roc disc i have over 300'
this thing will go up to or around 400 and fly pretty stable...i think the name is a Star TL its 170gm...so this will be my 280-380 disc depending on the wind!

also i started trying to get better form on the drives, and found that if i just faced backwards with my arm out pointing away from the basket, i could just take 2 steps and throw...focusing on pulling the disc in a straight line across my chest and keeping my wrist angled down...just doing that i can throw very straight between 420-460, and feels like i am giving so much less effort that if i were to use my old form and try to throw that far...im letting the disc do the work now i suppose, and i am flipping the discs over a little too easy now, so i had to compensate a lot on my angle of release.

i have started working on the 360 drive thing recently, and hope to break 600 once i can get that figured out.

thanks for your help guys. :mrgreen:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the 360 unless you plan on focusing on distance not golf. If you want to play golf, focus on form and accuracy. I say that because if you're throwing over 400', then if you add some time and practice, I suspect you will be able to hit darn near 600' without a 360 and it will be a throw you can use or a course without the fear of that 5-10% of just total random "I have no idea where this is going" being introduced.

I believe you are an example of the kinds of folks that are coming to the sport now that it's becoming more popular.

A lot of folks want the sport to be more popular and to grow, and we've discussed it for pages and pages, but I don't recall if we've ever brought up the athletic talent pool becoming larger and raising the skill level of talent pool. Disc golf has been a sport where you can come out and be mediocre for a few years and still place or win tournaments in your divisions, but if folks like you come out and out throw them by 150' right off the bat and then in a year or two have solid putting and more accuracy, it's going to drive those "average" slightly athletic folks out or down to the very bottom of the winnings pool.

Much like the bigger sports don't have a lot of "average joes" in the competitive rankings. Most of the folks, even the over 40 church groups, seemed to be peppered with guys that played in college and are looking for something competitive.

Will be interesting to see how things develop as better athletes take up the sport.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Lithicon » Sun May 16, 2010 11:46 pm

As far as competing in the sport yeah he has and I'm sure his farther interest in Fairway drivers will help insure his will to practice accuracy.

But, as far as the 360, I am almost sure he could get close with a normal run up, but he also did mention he was going to some distance competitions because I'm sure if he learns to play the wind he'll definitely have some placings. The 360 won't be such a bad thing to learn, but I don't know that he'll out perform himself much with it if he really focuses on cleaning up his current form as you said, B.U. But, I'd say at the least get a feeling for the 360, and if you don't like it, don't bother with it. But, definitely keep working on your current form.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby kachtz1 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:42 am

played at Dorey park in Richmond, va yesterday..after i played, i went to the soccer fields they had to try some 360 drives haha...

i threw a destroyer disc 12 times, and had 3 best discs land at 540'...not a great improvement over non 360 drives (506), i tried to watch some videos of avery throwing 360 throws, and watching someone do it, and then trying to do it, are way different...probably would be easier to watch in person.

i dont feel like i can throw any farther really, my goal is 600' in 8 weeks, which will be June 5th...and i dont think its going to happen, unless i go in the mountains in WV and throw at a higher elevation :cry:
kachtz1
Noob

Postby JR » Sun May 23, 2010 12:12 am

Avery Jenkins said that throwing at sea level without wind gets multiplied by a quarter more D at desert winds at altitude. Erin Hemmings wrote that a low line drive at sea level equals 550' with a distance line at the desert. Maybe there's more D to be squeezed out of flight lines and riding the wind.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 23, 2010 12:14 pm

kachtz1 wrote:
i dont feel like i can throw any farther really, my goal is 600' in 8 weeks, which will be June 5th...and i dont think its going to happen, unless i go in the mountains in WV and throw at a higher elevation :cry:

Hope to not burst your bubble, but the elevation doesn't necessarily equate to more distance, its a bit harder to get the discs to air out as long. Discs tend to go further faster, but also tend to fall out of the air sooner.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby black udder » Sun May 23, 2010 6:33 pm

kachtz1 wrote:played at Dorey park in Richmond, va yesterday..after i played, i went to the soccer fields they had to try some 360 drives haha...

i threw a destroyer disc 12 times, and had 3 best discs land at 540'...not a great improvement over non 360 drives (506), i tried to watch some videos of avery throwing 360 throws, and watching someone do it, and then trying to do it, are way different...probably would be easier to watch in person.

Okay - here's the deal with the 360'. It's a technique all in itself...getting the timing, the revolution, etc. To do that, you really have to have the basics down already, which you don't (or you'd be seeing more distance than you already have). I guess my point was really, why waste time dividing your attention on trying to learn two throws when you can benefit more from just getting the basic form/x-step down. Then, if you feel like that's working, add the 360'. It's still all about a tight pull to the chest, wrist extension, late pull, etc., you're just adding more momentum in the revolution.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Prerube » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:13 pm

update: Kachtz has thrown over 730 feet.
Prerube
Ruby's Pimp-ass shirt revival

Postby Flipflat » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:59 pm

New video is needed.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique