Aiming Rollers

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Aiming Rollers

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:33 am

I throw rollers quite frequently. Is there a way to aim them, or is this dependent on the disc? For example, can you make a roller go straight? turn right? turn left?

I use the wind to help mine like a sail effect, but I think most of mine go straight then kind of turn right at least on the particular holes that I throw them at.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smyith » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:42 am

all i know is that which ever side the face is on is the way it will roll to at the end. so if the face is left it will end up left, face on the right disc to the right. besides that i have only gotten the roller to go straight a few times and havent figured out how to do it consisently.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:30 pm

one thing i know is that if you land them earlier you have a lot more control over the angle they land on than if you flip them farther out (more of an experienced roller method). so my advice is to throw beginner friendly rollers that you can control the angle on... 3 general possibilities; roller goes straight then finishes right, rollers "cuts" left then stands up and goes straight then finishes right, roller "cuts" left then stands up but not enough to finish right... instead it finishes left. these are RHBH. what angle you need to land on for these routes depends on the disc... generally you always land "cutting" (roller headed left) it's just a matter of how much.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:47 pm

aiming rollers varies by the type of roller.

sky/control rollers are aimed similarly.

turnover/distance rollers are aimed similarly.

if you land a controlled roller close, you will land it pretty far from vertical and let it stand up. to make one go left, land it with enough angle to where it will not stand up all the way. to make it go right earlier, land it closer to vertical. mess around until you find the right angles to make it go straight (it will always finish to the right).

for a sky roller, the angle shifts by about 10-15 degrees closer to vertical for the same results.

speed = what makes the disc stand up and turn over. ideally, the disc will land with enough angle so where it will stand up to vertical and will be slow enough later to where it will not want to bank hard topside. stability comes into play a bit... more stable discs = harder to flatten/turn topside.

for turnover rollers, you have to land things more veritcal. for max d to finish straight, you want to land the disc vertical but with very little speed left on it.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique