Over & Underrated discs?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Over & Underrated discs?

Postby garublador » Tue May 18, 2010 7:14 am

JimW wrote:
zj1002 wrote:This kinda reminds of something yesterday. A guy in the group I was playing with was talking to me at the pad about the route to the hole (which was a 280ish straight shot with a kinda low ceiling, not much room on the left side of the fairway but plenty of room to the right). He throws RHFH, I'm LHBH, so we can take the same lines. He planned to take this crazy hyzer line out way to the left, over an OB fence, and with various trees that could really mess up an offline shot and was saying I should be doing the same thing.

Me: Why? It's just a straight shot to the hole from here.

Him: But your shot is going to hyzer away from the basket at the end.

Me: Not my shot.

I put a Gazelle 20 feet from the basket (despite getting too much turn on it), his Boss barely made it back in bounds and was well deep.
I had a moment like that at a local tournament once. It was a slightly uphill, 280' shot that sloped down on the left side of the basket. The guy before me threw a Wraith or Surge or something way to the right of the basket hoping to play the fade. I grabbed a beat Roc and threw it slightly to the right of the basket. He must have thought I threw something faster because I heard him comment to his girlfriend that I was going to skip way past the basket. He was pretty surprised when I slid under the basket and he found out what I threw.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby StumperTX » Tue May 18, 2010 9:47 am

marmoset wrote:
StumperTX wrote:uhhhh.... if you're throwing a Boss 280 ft, you're doing it wrong. leave it in the trunk, don't even take it out to the course. it's not a disc's fault that unqualified people try to throw it.

I like to use my max weight Champ Boss for short skip shots... way less than 280 feet. Do I need to leave mine in the trunk?

Yes, obviously in context of me commenting that a player throwing a 280ft hyzer with the boss should leave it in his trunk, I meant that any player that would throw a specialty shot involving this particular disc should never even carry it.

Obviously.

I mean there's no way I meant that if you're throwing a giant hyzer that goes 280ft you should be throwing something slower. Absolutely not.
IRL, they call me Brett

Distance Drivers: Pro Destroyer, Champ&Pro Boss, FR Nuke, Champ&Star Xcal, Champ & Glo Wraith
Control Drivers: S&P-PD, Evo Spirit, Proline Rogue
Fairways: Pro Leo, DX Whippet-X, Z Xtreme
Mid: ESP&Pro D Buzz
Putters: 2xMedium Voodoo, O Wizard, Polecat
StumperTX
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Nuke/Destroyer

Postby marmoset » Tue May 18, 2010 10:03 am

StumperTX wrote:I mean there's no way I meant that if you're throwing a giant hyzer that goes 280ft you should be throwing something slower. Absolutely not.

I don't see anything wrong with throwing a 280' hyzer with a Boss.
I do see something wrong with this situation if that's all you can do with the Boss.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby JimW » Tue May 18, 2010 12:33 pm

Considering the route he took his shot was more like 330' in total distance at the minimum, probably more like 350'. He usually just carries a Boss, a Rogue, and a Reef and is quite good, he's definitely better than me on average. He'd do better though if he didn't try ridiculous outside routes all the time though.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby StumperTX » Tue May 18, 2010 12:44 pm

marmoset wrote:
StumperTX wrote:I mean there's no way I meant that if you're throwing a giant hyzer that goes 280ft you should be throwing something slower. Absolutely not.

I don't see anything wrong with throwing a 280' hyzer with a Boss.
I do see something wrong with this situation if that's all you can do with the Boss.

Yeah -- I guess that's a better way of saying it, but as a RHBH player who carries a Boss, I would never consider pulling it out of the bag on a shot that short. I'm not a HUGE driver (~400, which to me means I'm only marginally qualified to throw this disc), but I'd probably throw an easy Leopard?
IRL, they call me Brett

Distance Drivers: Pro Destroyer, Champ&Pro Boss, FR Nuke, Champ&Star Xcal, Champ & Glo Wraith
StumperTX
Tree Magnet

Postby StumperTX » Tue May 18, 2010 1:10 pm

JimW wrote:Considering the route he took his shot was more like 330' in total distance at the minimum, probably more like 350'. He usually just carries a Boss, a Rogue, and a Reef and is quite good, he's definitely better than me on average. He'd do better though if he didn't try ridiculous outside routes all the time though.

given that choice, I'd throw a no step rogue flat and low, but to each his own I guess. Maybe I misinterpreted your first post, but it sounded like you were supporting the anti-boss camp with that story - one more in a pile of "newb throwing boss" stories.
IRL, they call me Brett

StumperTX
Tree Magnet

Postby JimW » Tue May 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Yeah, I just kinda wanted to tell that story (mainly because I loved my "Not my shot" line in response to him saying the drive would hyzer out) and ZJ's tournament story gave me an opening. I am in the anti-Boss camp though with regards to most players that throw them, they'd obviously benefit from throwing something much slower.

The thing that strikes me the most though is the way that so many people only throw drivers that have strong LSS, they really have no ability to throw a true straight shot. My home course has a bunch of holes where throwing straight without a ton of fade at the end is hugely beneficial but so many players get eaten up by that because they're not throwing stuff that can finish lightly.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby discspeed » Tue May 18, 2010 4:21 pm

JimW wrote:Yeah, I just kinda wanted to tell that story (mainly because I loved my "Not my shot" line in response to him saying the drive would hyzer out) and ZJ's tournament story gave me an opening. I am in the anti-Boss camp though with regards to most players that throw them, they'd obviously benefit from throwing something much slower.

The thing that strikes me the most though is the way that so many people only throw drivers that have strong LSS, they really have no ability to throw a true straight shot. My home course has a bunch of holes where throwing straight without a ton of fade at the end is hugely beneficial but so many players get eaten up by that because they're not throwing stuff that can finish lightly.

What's funny is that I play with all of these people too. I throw putters, mids, and PDs where most throw Bossses/Katanas/Nukes/Destroyers/etc, but I can tell most of them think I can do this only because I have more power than them. They think they need the faster stuff to keep up with the long throwers who are throwing slow stuff instead of the truth which is the complete opposite. They don't understand the percentages...They figure that if they can birdie a hole 1/10 by parking in with a fast disc (with 5-6 bogies or worse due to shanks and bad fades), that has more merit than birdieing the hole 1/10 by putting a fairway driver 40' short and making the putt (and parring the rest of the time). They would rather park the hole that tiny percentage of the time and take the collateral damage than play within their true ability and have a better overall score.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby StumperTX » Wed May 19, 2010 7:00 am

JimW wrote:Yeah, I just kinda wanted to tell that story (mainly because I loved my "Not my shot" line in response to him saying the drive would hyzer out) and ZJ's tournament story gave me an opening. I am in the anti-Boss camp though with regards to most players that throw them, they'd obviously benefit from throwing something much slower.

I definitely agree that most players shouldn't be throwing a Boss. Just yesterday I played with a couple guys that threw in the 300ft range and were throwing Boss's and Xcal's. Sometimes they'd hit it pretty well, and get 300+, but they also went what I'd call "over the top" (ball-golf term) and yanked their RHBH 40 degrees right on many holes. I saw they had a tl and suggested they throw that. "no, it's not long enough" was their reply -- which made me sad for them.
IRL, they call me Brett

StumperTX
Tree Magnet

Postby Torg » Wed May 19, 2010 9:23 am

Overrated- Putter molds. people ask me all the time what putter is the best. I tell them to grab any of them that feels comfortable in their hands and isn't too floppy and buy 5.

Underrated- Slower distance drivers - Most people should be using these a lot more than they are, especially newer players. Most of these can reach 400' comfortably and on a good line. Rarely do you need more than that in a golf situation. I see the wide rimmed and really fast drivers like I see my Meteor, very situational.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby linkinparkervii » Wed May 19, 2010 10:24 am

[/quote]
uhhhh.... if you're throwing a Boss 280 ft, you're doing it wrong. leave it in the trunk, don't even take it out to the course. it's not a disc's fault that unqualified people try to throw it.[/quote]

This reminds me of the guy in the Disc Golf Sweden promo vids. The smart guy throws a star Teebird right at the basket and the other guy pulls out a boss and throws a HUGE hyzer out to the right
linkinparkervii
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Gold Line Core

Postby Timko » Wed May 19, 2010 10:32 am

discspeed wrote:

What's funny is that I play with all of these people too. I throw putters, mids, and PDs where most throw Bossses/Katanas/Nukes/Destroyers/etc, but I can tell most of them think I can do this only because I have more power than them. They think they need the faster stuff to keep up with the long throwers who are throwing slow stuff instead of the truth which is the complete opposite. They don't understand the percentages...They figure that if they can birdie a hole 1/10 by parking in with a fast disc (with 5-6 bogies or worse due to shanks and bad fades), that has more merit than birdieing the hole 1/10 by putting a fairway driver 40' short and making the putt (and parring the rest of the time). They would rather park the hole that tiny percentage of the time and take the collateral damage than play within their true ability and have a better overall score.

I see this a lot too. I don't have any illusions about being the longest thrower in town (or even amongst my friends), but my disc selection is to minimize the potential for mistakes while still giving myself opportunities to score. I get asked all the time about what driver i just threw (normally a PD), and most people are pumping out the Destroyer. Generally, I drive about the same all the time, and my putting is really what dictates my score.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Gilligan » Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 am

I must reply now:

I am guilty of throwing a boss and can only push 350 when the planets align. BUT, I can throw my boss fairly accurately. I use it on many holes that are sub 300 and I usually use it BECAUSE it is too much disc for me... I know I can rip it out nice and flat and even if I do put too much anny on it, it will come back. Don't get me wrong... I don't throw this on tight shots. I originally started carrying it for sidearms because I'm terrible at them and tend to roll my wrist and I need something that I KNOW will fight back when I screw up.

I played around of 18 yesterday and threw on drives; Cobra 4x, Stalker 6x, Cro 1x, 150 Flick 1x (sidearm), FLX Drone 1x, Boss 3x (once sidearm), Flash 1x, R Pro Boss 1x (roller). This is on a fairly short mixed course and the baskets were in their short positions. Longest hole is 420' slight uphill bump in the field, probably plays a little over 450 and is wide open (roller). And we have one that is I think 120' kind of tight'ish and protected (150 flick). Other holes average about 230-280.

I feel my most trusted and dependable disc are Flash, Cobra and Boss.

I think one of my strongest points of my game is my driving accuracy. When I do my best is when I don't have to putt ;) I RARELY shank a drive (RHBH) but I also tend to take the most safe routes even when it guarantees me a 3 vs a possible 2.

That's just this noodle arm's take on big rimmed drivers... I also carry a Groove (I like it for distance in wide open areas or when I want less fade than the Boss) and a Katana and Nuke... both I haven't really thrown enough to trust yet... I have used the Nuke for a round in an open park when it was windy and I felt it performed pretty consistently.

Feel free to rag me.
If the answer isn't violence then neither is your silence. - PWEI
Gilligan
Noob

Postby Ryan C » Wed May 19, 2010 11:28 am

Yeah, I'm sticking with my answer that the Boss is underrated. I throw lots of slower stuff too. I wouldn't pull out a Boss unless the shot was 400' or more. You just have to use discs for what they are meant to do.

Another underrated disc is the Esp Flash, because it can go as long as anything if you get the hyzer flip angle just right. Its a super nice disc that waaaaay more people should throw.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby mzuleger » Wed May 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Gilligan wrote:I am guilty of throwing a boss and can only push 350 when the planets align. BUT, I can throw my boss fairly accurately.

Don't let the snobbery of some DGR folks get you down. You should use the most predictable disc/throw for any given situation... if that's a boss for you then more power to you.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment