Muscle Strain in Shoulder

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Muscle Strain in Shoulder

Postby emiller3 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:01 am

So, about a month ago I was doing towel drills and popped something in the muscle of my throwing shoulder, on the back side of my shoulder. It was in the center of the meaty muscle right underneath the bone of my shoulder. It didn't quite snap, but it felt close to that, and it immediately hurt pretty bad. Every time I would extend my elbow (do a forearm chop from a stand still) it would kind of burn with pain and I could feel it twinge.

So I laid off for about 5 days and felt back to normal. But since then I've had the thing start to burn again twice, both times the morning after back to back days of playing. I'm guessing it's just a muscle strain that never fully healed(?) Besides resting it, what should I do to help it heal? It bothers me that it keeps popping up after heavy use. It feels like a deep bruise or something.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Muscle Strain in Shoulder

Postby seabas22 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:36 am

Sounds like a grade 2- muscle strain which isn't too serious but I'd rest it 2-3 weeks to be safe. Ice within the first couple days helps. Advil should help with inflammation and pain. Stretch lightly. Heat will help loosen the muscle up after the inflammation is gone. Make sure you warm up before trying to hit it hard.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby black udder » Thu May 20, 2010 12:58 pm

massage, ice, heat & rest. Massage will help spur the body to heal more. ice for 20, heat for 20. You can do that on and off a few times a day.

Rest will help and then ease back into something. If you know anybody who has does physical therapy (not takes, actually performs), they might be able to better identify the issue. Could be a tendon or a muscle and sounds like a strain or tear.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby emiller3 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks guys. I will be doing all of those overtime, because I have my first tourney next weekend, so I'm just going to have to deal with it. Feeling almost back to normal today, but I know I'm going to strain it again next time I play a lot, which is going to be next weekend. I will just try and rest up until then.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury