Over & Underrated discs?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Over & Underrated discs?

Postby Ryan C » Wed May 19, 2010 2:48 pm

mzuleger wrote:
Gilligan wrote:I am guilty of throwing a boss and can only push 350 when the planets align. BUT, I can throw my boss fairly accurately.

Don't let the snobbery of some DGR folks get you down. You should use the most predictable disc/throw for any given situation... if that's a boss for you then more power to you.

Couldn't agree more. There is too much theory on this board, and not enough practical advice on how to really approach the game and lower your scores. When I listen to pros give advice on equipment, most of them say, "Use what's comfortable and flys well for you."

I don't often hear that advice on this board. Most people want to tell you what the "correct" way to do things is.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed May 19, 2010 2:52 pm

The most reliable disc in your bag is not going to be a boss.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby emiller3 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Ryan C wrote:Couldn't agree more. There is too much theory on this board, and not enough practical advice on how to really approach the game and lower your scores. When I listen to pros give advice on equipment, most of them say, "Use what's comfortable and flys well for you."

I don't often hear that advice on this board. Most people want to tell you what the "correct" way to do things is.

You could spend the rest of your life throwing what's comfortable and flys well for you and not end up as good as the pro who's giving you that advice. Seems like disc golf pro's are most often the people who just naturally know how to affect the flight of a disc. For those of us who don't have that knack, we need to break things down and analyze them in order to improve.

If you want to get marginally better, keep throwing what feels best to you. If you want to take it to the next level, follow the prescription of people on this board who know what they're talking about (Blake_T, beto, etc)
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby zj1002 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Ryan C wrote:
mzuleger wrote:
Gilligan wrote:I am guilty of throwing a boss and can only push 350 when the planets align. BUT, I can throw my boss fairly accurately.

Don't let the snobbery of some DGR folks get you down. You should use the most predictable disc/throw for any given situation... if that's a boss for you then more power to you.

Couldn't agree more. There is too much theory on this board, and not enough practical advice on how to really approach the game and lower your scores. When I listen to pros give advice on equipment, most of them say, "Use what's comfortable and flys well for you."

the correct way to is to play smart. throwing a boss on every hole because it feels "comfortable" it not playing smart. if you really read the stuff people post and were able to look past the hype threads about discs like the PD you might understand the concept
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby garublador » Wed May 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Ryan C wrote:
mzuleger wrote:

You're misunderstanding the advice. The advice you're talking about is not meant to help you minimize your score based on how you currently throw. The advice is meant to teach you to improve your throw accuracy and distance to minimize your scores in the future. It's about improving your throw in the long term, not about improving your score in the short term. You will lower your scores if you follow it, but not right away. It's advice that's aimed at people looking to jump divisions in a few monts time, not people looking to shave a couple strokes off of their next tournament score.

It's also not theory. It works. "Use what's comfortable and flys well for you" is not advice.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 19, 2010 3:34 pm

linkinparkervii wrote:This reminds me of the guy in the Disc Golf Sweden promo vids. The smart guy throws a star Teebird right at the basket and the other guy pulls out a boss and throws a HUGE hyzer out to the right

He did pretty much nail the throw though...
Last edited by jubuttib on Wed May 19, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 19, 2010 3:37 pm

I used a Boss as my meathook when I started (I knew it was too much of a disc for me, for distance I used a Beast or a Monarch), it was a very good disc for going left. =)

Overrated: Anything over speed 12.
Underrated: Anything under speed 9.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Ryan C » Wed May 19, 2010 4:44 pm

All the responses I got are sort of case and point to what I was saying.

And saying, "Throwing a Boss on every hole is not smart," in no way addresses the point I was making. I never said it was. I don't think I'm going to bother to reiterate the actual point, since it seemed to touch a nerve with a lot of people.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby discspeed » Wed May 19, 2010 5:12 pm

I think using an unforgiving disc like a Boss requires either power or skill. By the looks of your main discs that you listed Gilligan, I'm guessing that you've been playing a while or have a good frisbee background. According to you, you can throw quite consistently. Most of the advice against throwing the faster stuff is aimed at developing players that are way below their max potential and aren't that consistent at throwing anything. I've stated before that the players I've seen benefit most from the faster discs are masters/adv. masters players and older who used to have a difficult time driving 350', especially in the wind. These guys have pinpoint control over their release, so they can underpower a Bosss and make it fly straight and fade hard and go farther than their flippy discs (again, especially in the wind). So once again, its pro power or pro skill that is required to really gain benefit from the wide winged discs. There are a lot of smart, articulate people on this board that like helping others. If you are looking for advice, the technique section is a better read than the equipment section.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JimW » Wed May 19, 2010 6:13 pm

Ryan C wrote:When I listen to pros give advice on equipment, most of them say, "Use what's comfortable and flys well for you."

Which is extremely lazy advice and easy to give, hence so many people giving it. For these pros to really give useful advice it would take a fair amount of time and explaining. I know plenty of people who throw what's comfortable and they think feels right for them....a lot of them aren't very good due to extremely unversatile games and lousy disc selection for their limited skills. They're very comfortable (and often fairly consistent) with their abilities to throw their Katanas 280 feet on a hyzer or flat shot with a lot of fade and skip; they think it's flying well for them mainly because nobody has ever explained to them (or they've never tried to understand just from watching other people play) how much only making those kind of throws limits their potential.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed May 19, 2010 6:22 pm

over rated: reading comprehension

under rated: typing without thinking out what you are saying
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby zj1002 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:43 pm

overrated: getting this thread back on point
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:51 pm

discspeed wrote:I think using an unforgiving disc like a Boss requires either power or skill. By the looks of your main discs that you listed Gilligan, I'm guessing that you've been playing a while or have a good frisbee background. According to you, you can throw quite consistently. Most of the advice against throwing the faster stuff is aimed at developing players that are way below their max potential and aren't that consistent at throwing anything. I've stated before that the players I've seen benefit most from the faster discs are masters/adv. masters players and older who used to have a difficult time driving 350', especially in the wind. These guys have pinpoint control over their release, so they can underpower a Bosss and make it fly straight and fade hard and go farther than their flippy discs (again, especially in the wind). So once again, its pro power or pro skill that is required to really gain benefit from the wide winged discs. There are a lot of smart, articulate people on this board that like helping others. If you are looking for advice, the technique section is a better read than the equipment section.

this pretty much sums it up, i know several older guys that will throw an Orc where i throw a roc and a boss/destroyer where i throw a CD or PD and although they are technically using plastic that is "too fast for the hole" in my book they are doing it with such precision and predictability in most cases that they can usually school most of the younger players who are more apt to properly disc down (Me :? )
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby loki993 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:06 am

Interested to see whats changed since its 2012 now ans the last post here was 2010. Interesting that I saw a lot of people saying the boss/destroyer is overratted. I haven't been around long enough.

So what do we think is the most overrated and underrated discs now?
loki993
Noob

Favorite Disc: River

Postby JR » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Aviars have been used to win world titles for 20 years but they've come in many different flavors from understable to overstable. Considering how they compete among themselves there are better and worse Aviars and now that other firms have lots of options sometimes better than the worst Aviars i'd say that the worst Aviars are overrated. Which Aviars are the worst ones depends on how you putt and what your preference is. Bosses have become more accessible for most players with Blizzzard plastic. Many discs are underrated because the large majority of the players don't know the offerings from small companies. That produce sometimes great discs. So the candidates are plentiful.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment