I been doin some spinnin'

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: I been doin some spinnin'

Postby keltik » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:26 pm

well I'm a lazy turdhead. look what i found about 6 threads down: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8317&start=30&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

you may all proceed to call me an imbecile and throw rotten food at me whilst burning me in effigy.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby tito » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 pm

any fan assembly can work...I use a radiator fan off an 90's GM. the casing of it offers splatter protection. I set it up in my garage and hook wires to my car battery, touching the wires together with my left hand while applying dyes with the right. There's a lot more to it, but that's my basic approach. I let this batch sit for a whole week - 7 days, and it makes a difference.
yeti pro aviar / z drone / z predator / esp meteor / DGR PD / s destroyer / nuke os
tito
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Predator roar!

Postby tito » Sat May 15, 2010 2:23 pm

I did some more spin dyes. here's a pic of my jimmy-rigged setup. I tap the wire terminals together with one hand and apply dye with the other hand.
and here's the latest batch drying on the dining room table. when they get dry I"ll move them to other areas of the house to set for several more days.
yeti pro aviar / z drone / z predator / esp meteor / DGR PD / s destroyer / nuke os
tito
Tree Magnet

Postby tito » Sat May 15, 2010 4:58 pm

A little about the dye itself:
I start with the Rit powders, adding just enough water to stir it into a concentrate. I store these in plastic containers for later and heat them up in a pan on the stove and stir them every once in a while. they seem to get better with age (less gritty), then I fill my squeezers about half full with the concentrate and add dish liquid to get the desired consistency.

...still have some kinks to work out with some colors. lighter colors seem more difficult to achieve ...think its because the hue and depth of the dish soap can deceive. (you'll see what I mean when I post pics of them after rinsing) I wish they'd end up like they do when they're wet, but the layers soak and settle and run so much during the process that some end up looking differently, sometimes cooler though!

I can't get a decent yellow, only orange and red... and my purple is too grainy which can suck too (see star destroyer).

so just go play around with it and try it on stuff you're gonna throw! out-do me so I will have to get better!
tito
Tree Magnet

Postby BennettUA » Thu May 20, 2010 9:37 am

Your greens look really good, what are you using to get that color?

Nice work, keep em spinning.
BennettUA
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Previous

Return to Disc Artwork