Lower leg pain

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Lower leg pain

Postby warobert » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:47 pm

I have been trying to rebuild my throw basically by studying beato's vids and posts and I am beginning to get some snap from a standstill or a one-step throw.

My problem is after an hour or two working in the field, mostly just one step throws but some attempts at run ups with an x-step just see how close I am to hitting it from that position, the lower half of right leg is in a lot of pain (I throw RHBH).

I am taking this as a sign that I am doing something horribly wrong. If I can find the battery charger, I will try and get some footage of me throwing and get it up later this week. I would love an opinion on what I am doing wrong and how I might go about fixing it.

-EDIT-
video up in critique section http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17387
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Re: Lower leg pain

Postby seabas22 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:51 pm

This might be a bit late in response but, it sounds like common shin splints which is basically a muscle strain. Rest, ice, advil, and stretching are the best things for it. They are a pain to get rid of. Don't over do it like I did, because it can lead to a stress fracture.

It could be that you are landing the foot wrong, or it could be your foot is biomechanically flawed or it could be some of both. Its often from a sudden increase of activity(repetitive stress) and or weight gain can be a big factor. Do you have flat feet?

I just went through this myself and Im out of commission for another 5 weeks(on week 3 of recovery) with a stress fracture in my tibia. I have extremely flat feet and wear custom orthodics which helps correct my flawed foot biomechanics, but its not perfect. I did way too much field practice, and also think im landing the foot wrong.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby warobert » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Yeah, I had a friend tape some throws during a round and when slowed down it was obvious that I was coming out of the x step with my plant foot way more than 90 degrees from the target line. 2 weeks off and some footwork practice has helped alot.
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:05 pm

warobert wrote:Yeah, I had a friend tape some throws during a round and when slowed down it was obvious that I was coming out of the x step with my plant foot way more than 90 degrees from the target line. 2 weeks off and some footwork practice has helped alot.

That's not exactly wrong and I seem to recall JR even encouraging it. I'd wager it's more about how you pivot your foot. A poor pivot will lead to leg pain. I myself land my foot around 160 degrees away from the target and have never experienced leg pain.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:18 pm

180 away plant is great for max D sucks for control. I can do 180 all the time but I've played 8 years and tried 180 about 4-5 years into playing so my legs may be conditioned enough to take it. That may not be the case for those that are new to it. I recall that it did produce some pain when I was starting to try it. That sort of planting angle is very dangerous if you plant flat footed. Proper pivot with little enough sole to ground contact area is a must for avoiding injury and long term trouble.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:56 am

I've been having some strange pains when I'm out in the field practicing. It seems to bother me in my ankle and the top of my foot more than anything. Usually a little bit after I'm done throwing I'll feel this shooting pain almost up to my knee. Sometimes it'll get bad enough that it feels like I can't put weight on it. After about 45 mins it'll go away and it was like it never happened. Even the next day I won't feel anything that seems to be amiss nor any swelling of any kind. I think I'll just have to film myself and let you guys take a look at it.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Flick4D » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:10 pm

Quick ankle warm ups before disc golf is always a great idea. Try, flexing and extending the foot up and down, left and right, make circles clockwise and counter-clockwise. 10 seconds each should do the trick to get the blood flowing and warm up all of the connective tissues.
Flick4D
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Star Destroyer

Postby JR » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:59 am

Do you have any flat footed throws even in stand still they are dangerous?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Hello everyone. I am new here. I have also lower leg problem. I can't run properly. I was injured last month and due to this i feel pain in my lower leg. Kindly give me some tips to get rid of this pain because i am not doing exercise properly. What should i do? Reply soon.
Andrew

Postby seabas22 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Rest, ice, and anti-inflamatories until the pain subsides, don't play in pain man. Light stretching also. After pain subsides look into calf, hamstring, and foot stretches and strengthening/rehabbing exercises. If you are overweight, you should consider losing some as this can be a big part. If this is a chronic problem see a podiatrist. I can't run distance because my feet are so flat and big like clown feet, if I try to run over 1 mile I get insta shin splints. I can do short interval sprints which is about as good exercise, and helps build muscle and quickness, which might help you be able to run further.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury