Not an old man, but got what I think to be a problem.

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Not an old man, but got what I think to be a problem.

Postby Lithicon » Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Man, I feel like all the old men in this sport are going to laugh at me and tell me to STFU and get over it, but this is actually kind of weird.

I've been experiencing, (feels really old) hip pains.... Now I'm in my mid 20's and I know I shouldn't be experiencing hip problems. But, coming from an athletic background and I've never had a problem perse with my hips. But, when I'd ride a roller coaster that you sit in, or anything that presses me against my hips with some force, it always felt like my hip would almost pop out of socket. Now, I've been struggling with what Blake Refers to as Jamming my hip when throwing. Due to stepping to far forward, and not bending my knee enough to help in getting weight forward. Now, this isn't a real "hip pain". Unless it's after I've been throwing for extended periods of time, or after many many rounds. (Mostly during field practice.) Then it sometimes feels a bit sore, but It's more of when I move certain ways, or bend over, get up, or sit down, twist or stuff like that certain ways it feels like my right hip needs to pop, and often does. Feeling much better, but I know this can't be good, and I'm not sure as to why it's like this. Any insight as to this odd condition or is everyone's hips like this? I'd assume not, but well we know what assuming gets us.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Re: Not an old man, but got what I think to be a problem.

Postby JR » Thu May 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Rest at first to see if the trouble goes away. Slow down the motion to reduce stress on the hip and plant more to the right and turn the foot to face only 45 or less degrees from the target. You'll lose D but it helps in training correct technique and diagnoses if your pains come from technique flaw while playing.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Sounds like you are just cracking your hips like knuckles since its followed by relief. This can happen in any joint, I can crack almost any joint in my body, although the only time I've had a crack from my hip, it was from dislocating my leg playing soccer. The crack/pop comes from gas being released after pressure is applied to a joint so the synovial fluid can expand which then provides relief. There is no proof that it causes any arthritis, but it may weaken the joint some.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby Lithicon » Fri May 21, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm just really curious as to why when ever I'm pressed against my hip, putting pressure against it or something it feels as if it's been dislocated, and often takes popping it or something like that to make that pressure go away. Because, after I'm not being pushed against it or whatever, it still feels as if there is a pressure there and can't walk sometimes. This hasn't happened from throwing, just always happens.

But, the popping part now I'm assuming is from not rotating when I go into my follow through, and I don't pivot my leg, and my body tries to pull around, my leg doesn't pivot so it pivots what it can, my hip. And, as you said puts gas pockets in there and then pops and relieves that pressure. But, it's not quite the same as what I mentioned above, but I've been trying, to take a shorter final step, bend my knee to get my weight forward, so that my leg can pivot with my body. I can't do a heal pivot, I've always pivoted on the balls of my feet. Which I've talked with Blake about and he said it doesn't really hurt pivoting there, but it's harder to learn to get weight forward and pivot properly when doing it like that. But, I guess I really just need to fix my problem and I wouldn't have the problem when playing golf. I know how to fix it, I just can't seem to do it, lol.

Shorter final step, bend the knee. Gives more weight forward, and makes the leg pivot with the body into the follow through... Ugh, I'll get it one day.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby seabas22 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:15 pm

It could also be from a bone spur that partially displaces the tendon, and it snaps back into place which would explain the dislocation feeling and the pop makes it better. I don't believe there's much that can be done for that other than removing the bone spur but its not a serious condition, just be little extra careful if somethings starts hurting.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury