Looking for some critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking for some critique

Postby zj1002 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:36 pm

This is a video from my last tourney. Really the first time I have ever seen myself on film or even in a picture. I had no real clue on my form until 5 minutes ago. Would appreciate any comments, not the best of angles but w/e. I am the guy in the bright Green shirt, Zach Jansen. oh yeah, i also wanted to pimp my ace run at the end of the vid 8)

http://www.youtube.com/user/machadodisc ... d9Hi_UQJSY
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: Looking for some critique

Postby lowracks » Sun May 23, 2010 10:10 pm

That shot on 8 was sweet.
lowracks
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:20 pm

lowracks wrote:That shot on 8 was sweet.

thanks, after today that very Roc has now hit 4 baskets in the past 2 weeks, with no aces. I think I need to keep throwing it 8)

hole 17 is hilarious. we all barely miss our birdie putts.
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:06 am

hopefully one of you form critique guys can chime in eventually 8)

from what I can see, and this is something I have known, I need to go out and focus on not letting the disc "slip" out of my hand. From watching other videos I can now see the difference between an open hand(like mine) and a closed one that had the disc rip out. I also had some pretty early pulls that seem to have led to the disc hyzering out earlier than intended. I am starting to see the things that lead to some of my errant throws. Also I don't like my x-step run up thing, never have. Need to work on getting more from the legs/hips. My goal this week is to start focusing on gripping harder at the rip point. Once I get some form of snap, I will focus on my legs, been wanting to try the pivot-hop-step technique(but im not sure that will work well with my style). I have been told by a Millennium Pro that I can add 100ft to throws by just delaying my shoulder rotation a little more(475-500 range), which I think will come with some of the changes I want to make. I really like my form for hole 5 at 2:30 in the video, the disc would have gotten to 425ish but I caught the tree in the middle.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JR » Mon May 24, 2010 1:08 am

You're planting the right foot pointing about 40 degrees away from the target try at least 80 but for max D you can go up to 180. Run up is annied all the time. Correcting those will generate so much more power and possibly change timing so that body positions may go all wonky. That's why it's better to see what you can see from a new video after those changes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zj1002 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:13 am

JR wrote:You're planting the right foot pointing about 40 degrees away from the target try at least 80 but for max D you can go up to 180. Run up is annied all the time. Correcting those will generate so much more power and possibly change timing so that body positions may go all wonky. That's why it's better to see what you can see from a new video after those changes.

let me try to understand this. Do you mean the angle the front(toe) of my right foot is landing during at the run-up? Basically if I increase that angle I get more out of my legs/hips. So should I just focus on my x-step footwork right now and see where that takes me?
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JR » Mon May 24, 2010 2:51 am

Yes that and annies run ups start at rear left and end up front right of the tee. Hyzer is reverse of anny and flat shots are in the middle.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby zj1002 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:08 am

JR wrote:Yes that and annies run ups start at rear left and end up front right of the tee. Hyzer is reverse of anny and flat shots are in the middle.

I understand that part. I normally will adjust my run-up based on the type of shot needed. I see where I did do more of an anny run up on holes 10 and 11 when I should have been attempting more of a straight run up for 10 and then a hyzer run up for 11. For the most part I was attempting to throw straight or anny shots, and I think I got stuck in that run up because it was somewhat successful over the course of the weekend. Thanks for the advice, I will try to correct some of these foot work issues over the next couple weeks and get a new video up.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Monocacy » Mon May 24, 2010 10:47 pm

I have no useful criticism for you, but watching your throws led to a light bulb moment for me. You reach back away from your body, which seems to facilitate tucking the disc tight into the right pec while maintaining a straight pull line. Keeping the pull close to the chest is something I have struggled with, so I tried to mimic your form (they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery).

First, I practiced that pull line with the towel drill. My normal pull line causes the towel to swing around in a lazy arc, but the towel was snapping nicely with the modified line.

Next, the practice field. I only had time for a few midrange throws after work, but changing the pull line accomplished three things: the disc stayed closer to the right pec; it was easier to delay the active pull (less strong-arming); and the throws were cleaner. I can’t wait to try this with putters and drivers.

I know that helping me was not your primary purpose in posting the video, but thank you for the help (however inadvertent it may have been). Circle C looks like a challenging course, and your ace run was sweet (as was the long fairway approach that rattled the basket).
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 am

I don't know the origin of the disc away from torso reach back but Chris Voigt has used it years ago. It does help with keeping the arm muscles as loose as possible as long as possible until proper automated tightening occurs. After which you need to also add intentional tighteness.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Monocacy » Tue May 25, 2010 5:33 am

JR wrote:I don't know the origin of the disc away from torso reach back but Chris Voigt has used it years ago. It does help with keeping the arm muscles as loose as possible as long as possible until proper automated tightening occurs. After which you need to also add intentional tighteness.

Thank you for the tip, JR. I don’t suppose you know of any web videos showing Chris Voigt’s throw?

/thread hijack
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Tue May 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Kings of golf 2005 had a few throws from him but otherwise just search youtube because I haven't seen anything else than a crappy quality vid linked somewhere here way back. I think Bradley Walker was the guy giving the link.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:45 am

zach,

you have decent acceleration but you seem to miss the hit a bit and aren't able to fully transfer power to the disc. your upshots were better at this.

i'm going to wager you probably start pushing max consistent range around 440-450'?

overall the form looks solid but you never quite reach a position to really lever on the disc since your shoulders move quite fast during your drives. your driving form is very athletic though.

the only other thing of note is that you tend to flatten out your shoulder plane quite a bit, which you may be doing intentionally to help flatten and/or turn hyzers.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby zj1002 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:29 am

Blake_T wrote:zach,
overall the form looks solid but you never quite reach a position to really lever on the disc since your shoulders move quite fast during your drives. your driving form is very athletic though.

the only other thing of note is that you tend to flatten out your shoulder plane quite a bit, which you may be doing intentionally to help flatten and/or turn hyzers.

This sounds like similar advice that a local pro told me recently(i think). He didn't have time to properly show me, but he used a towel to demonstrate how I should drop my front shoulder down and then delay the rotation a little more. He said I wasn't getting a lot out of my shoulders despite the speed. I have added about 15-25 feet on average since that video. I have been trying to delay my rotation until I "feel/see" where I want to throw. I have been some what off target however, which was expected. I also worked a little on my footwork, but my knees got sore from overextending on some dirt tees so I have delayed that for now.

Are there any specific drills you have written about that I should go try in order to improve these areas?

I appreciate the advice JR and Blake,
Zach J
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JR » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:00 pm

To quote Ken Climo keep your head turned as close to the target as you can and the eyes at the right corner so that you see the target as early as possible. That's for long drives. For approach drives don't break eye contact with the target at all.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Next

Return to Video Critique