Who has recently quit smoking cigarettes???

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Who has recently quit smoking cigarettes???

Postby koffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 am

Thats awsome its a tough habit to break.. Keep it up!!

CHEERS - Koffee
koffee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri May 14, 2010 8:29 am

Welp I'm back on the wagon again but this time I think I actually WANT to quit.

I was on a disc golf camping weekend last Thursday-Sunday and I think I smoked 5 packs or so during that time and was dealing with some sort of respiratory illness. Needless to say I was hacking up some serious shit. It was a good last hoorah though and I still have maybe 15 cigarettes that I think I'm going to keep around as a symbol of my mental commitment to quit.

As mentioned in this thread, anytime I want a cigarette I think about the nasty way it smells / tastes / occasionally make me feel like shit.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby JHern » Sun May 16, 2010 4:20 am

Most regular smokers fail on the first attempt to quit, once they find out how hard it is! But eventually you get back around to thinking about quitting again, and it is usually more successful since you kind of know what you're in for. And you also know that you can't afford even one small pull of any kind in any tobacco.

For me it was just a matter of being pissed off about being addicted to the bastards, and how they were controlling my life. My entire day, all my plans, everything revolved around the need to schedule in time to get a fix. I could go about 2 hours max without going bat shit crazy, but that was about it.

Long airplane trips (I do these a lot) were hell...as soon as I could start napping and forget about smoking, the asshole flight attendants would be on the loudspeaker to "remind passengers that smoking is forbidden" type of thing and then I was jones-ing hard all over again and couldn't think about anything else. I would stumble off the plane and felt like a real pathetic jerk rushing to the first smoking spot.

Anyways, it is difficult to express how pissed off I was when this fully crystallized in my mind, that tobacco was running my life. And I also thought about the tobacco companies manipulating nicotine levels to keep me smoking. But that was the real kicker!

I quit while using the patch, but only after moving away from Paris and its smoke-filled bars and cafes. It is hard, because the patch gives you a background nicotine level, but the cigarette gives you an instant wallop of nicotine. But I mostly used the patches to tell myself that I was indeed getting nicotine, and trick my mind out of jones-ing.

A side effect of quitting for me (both times I did it) included an instant weight gain of 30-40 lbs (starting from 200, with a 6' height). After 2.5 years I still haven't found a new equilibrium yet where I can keep all of it off, but still working on it. And I was at times quite irritable. I warned my wife that this would happen beforehand, and she said "great!" She hasn't criticized me once for any of the fall out, but has only been supportive.

The thing that keeps me from starting again is the vivid memory of how fricking awful and incredibly difficult it was to quit. I really don't want to do that again!

Funny thing is that I started disc golfing partly because it was something I could do while smoking. I was living in Vancouver, which is the most anti-smoking (well, tobacco, at least) city I've ever experienced. Now when I visit Europe or Asia I encounter a lot more folks smoking, but I still don't have any real desire to go back to it again.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Glock23 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:13 pm

I quit when my son was born. I didn't want to be "that dad" at his sporting events, or risk anything with him growing up. I really don't miss it, and it is nice not coughing up lung butter in the morning.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Glock23 wrote:I quit when my son was born. I didn't want to be "that dad" at his sporting events, or risk anything with him growing up. I really don't miss it, and it is nice not coughing up lung butter in the morning.

lol @ someone else using lung butter. i thought i was the only one
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby stoneman » Mon May 17, 2010 10:08 pm

Roy wrote:If looking cool is a concern, only listen to one song. "Stroke Me" by Billy squire is probably the best bet.

also peel out as often as possible. Espcially in front of women.

Ha! I think I was awesome cool when I was 16, if that's a good gauge. :lol:
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Cali » Mon May 24, 2010 9:15 am

I've been smoking for almost 10 years. I only smoke maybe a half pack a day, tops, but I still really would like to quit to better my health and money.
Cali
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Hoey » Tue May 25, 2010 6:58 am

I quit for almost 3 months over the winter using the patch... so sick of paying $8 a pack, and being unhealthy and a slave to them.

Then I went back like a ritard.

So, now I'm on day 6 using the nicotine inhaler which I can't say enough good things about. Sure was pissy on day 3 and 4 though... Confident it will stick this time, I never want to go through that/this again.

If you're thinking about it, do it! Do it now!
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue May 25, 2010 7:29 am

Hoey wrote:I quit for almost 3 months over the winter using the patch... so sick of paying $8 a pack, and being unhealthy and a slave to them.

So, now I'm on day 6 using the nicotine inhaler which I can't say enough good things about. Sure was pissy on day 3 and 4 though... Confident it will stick this time, I never want to go through that/this again.

Way to go Hoey!

I'm cigarette free since 5/11 and going strong. I've faced a bunch of tempting scenarios (driving, dg'ing, drinking with folks who are smoking) and overcome. The idea of paying money to unhealthify myself finally set in and pissed me off.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Cavere » Tue May 25, 2010 10:26 am

I am going to quit this summer I'm set on it. I've got a son coming in September and I don't want to smoke once he is born. But dealing with a pregnant girlfriend and not smoking is the biggest challenge of them all!
katana--Boss--Surge--Orc--Monster--Roadrunner--Eagle--Buzz--FR Ion
subject to change almost each and every day!
Cavere
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby biodarwin » Tue May 25, 2010 2:48 pm

I am still smoke free! Glad to hear everyone elses stories of quiting as well. Everyone keep it up!!
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Postby Jeronimo » Tue May 25, 2010 8:34 pm

Hoey wrote:I quit for almost 3 months over the winter using the patch... so sick of paying $8 a pack, and being unhealthy and a slave to them.

I believe in you Hoey!
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Hoey » Wed May 26, 2010 7:04 pm

thanks J,

I wish someone verbally, emotionally, and physically abused me as a youngin' when I started smoking...

I'd love to smoke something that didn't kill me. You'd think there'd be a market for that. :roll:
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jeronimo » Thu May 27, 2010 9:21 am

Mary Jane is the devil.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Hoey » Thu May 27, 2010 2:25 pm

it can be the devil... there is a difference.
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.