Shoulder Dip- big deal or not?

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Shoulder Dip- big deal or not?

Postby sevinkimpson » Thu May 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Hello everyone-

Not until I recently recorded some footage of my throw for the first time did I realize that I have a WAY lower attack than I imagined. In particular, I noticed that my right shoulder is lower than my left... anyone care to take a look at this and offer their opinion? Of course, anything else you notice and care to advise on would be more than welcome. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4i8vT3jIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81bSsVsABzY

P.S. I know the quality's pretty bad, but it's the best I can do. Hopefully there's enough to still get a good look.
sevinkimpson
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Destroyer

Re: Shoulder Dip- big deal or not?

Postby JR » Thu May 27, 2010 9:54 pm

You get more power to hyzers having the right shoulders lower than the left. You plant the right leg on the final step to an anhyzer position try to move it about 10" right to get your body aligned for hyzers. It relieves stresses on the back and may add a few feet to distance. You turned the torso forward too early so that your left side got in the way if the disc and you were forced to pull the disc far off the right pec. That robs power. Try to push the elbow as close to the target as you can minus one inch before turning the torso/hip/knee direction toward the target. That means you have to pause the torso etc. turn so late that the disc is by or somewhat passed by the right pectoral muscle. Pulling the arm that low ain't a problem at all it keeps the arm muscles loose making the arm move faster. Your wrist wasn't down and the disc shot up even higher than the arm pull line which also was rising in the first vid at least. That's a stall and lost distance. You need to force the wrist down actively possibly using all your muscle power at the end of the throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique