hyzer/anhyzer technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

hyzer/anhyzer technique

Postby kling » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:32 am

I've found I use different follow through to make the disc fly hyzer/anhyzer. To make it fly hyzer i follow through higher, and anhyzer lower. Is this the same as wrist roll under/over?
This works pretty well for me, but I have to keep in mind having a higher reach back when throwing hyzer to not make the disc fly too high.
Is this the "proper" way to throw hyzer/anhyzer? How do you do it?
Last edited by kling on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kling
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:30 pm

the follow through more affects the power on the plane of the disc. the plane should stay the same unless you are trying to manipulate the flight of the shot differently.

following through low on a hyzer acts like a wrist roll over and following through high on an anhyzer acts like a wrist roll under. basically, it's off axis torque.

as for the anhyzer reach, it depends on what kind of shot you are throwing...
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby kling » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:56 pm

My concern is that I do these throws the wrong way. I have to have a higher reach back throwing hyzers (to compensate the high follow through) and a lower reach back throwing anhyzers (to compensate the low follow through), than I would throwing "flat", to get the disc to fly about the same height.

The right way would perhaps be dropping the left shoulder throwing hyzer and dropping the right shoulder throwing anhyzer?

Thank you for sorting the wrist roll :)

Of course I had to get the first post wrong in the end. It was suppose to say hyzer in the 2nd last sentence. Fixed it now. :oops:

Hope this post makes sence, and thank you Blake for the fast reply on the first one :)
kling
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:41 pm

hyzers should have a lower reach to preserve the shoulder plane...
Blake_T

Postby kling » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:02 pm

Seams I'm doing it all wrong then... But now I know how it should be :)

Thank you for your help and patience.
kling
Noob

Postby Goob The Noob » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:00 pm

kling wrote:Seams I'm doing it all wrong then... But now I know how it should be :)

Thank you for your help and patience.

There is no right or wrong, there is only what works for you and what doesn't. If the way you throw the disc gives you results you are happy with, there is no need to change.
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:24 pm

there is a right and wrong if you are looking for the proper technique to generate the most power on the purest line.

maintaining the rotational orientation on the plane of the disc is one of the key aspects of throwing long, pure hyzers.
Blake_T

Postby Goob The Noob » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:51 am

"Proper" technique is only a technique that is the socially accepted norm, it is no more right or wrong than any other technique. It is merely a proven technique that helps the average person accomplish their desired goals. There is always more than one way to throw a disc, hit a ball, do your job, eat spaghetti... and skin a cat. :)
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:30 am

kling wrote:Seams I'm doing it all wrong then... But now I know how it should be :)

realize here i should have gone into more depth on the second reply or done an edit after you edited.

the drop of the right shoulder during the reach back on a hyzer = plane preservation.

the raw height of the reach will dictate the trajectory of the initial velocity vector. reaching lower and pulling upwards = higher trajectory than reaching higher and pulling closer to level.

so for a line drive flattened hyzer, you'd be looking at a moderately high reach back but with a drop of the right shoulder leaving the left/right shoulders on an angle equal to the hyzer angle.

Goob:

the majority of the players that post technique questions are players that have not yet reached the performance plateaus they are seeking. while "poor" form may be functional for some players, it generally will limit their rate of development and increase the risk of long term injury. disc has not yet achieved the same idealized stroke as baseball or golf but that is in the works. while few players in those sports have an idealized stroke, those with the closest form to it have generally had the most natural success as well.
Blake_T

Postby Goob The Noob » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Blake:

I agree with you and find all the information you post about proven techniques to be extremely valuable. However, the reason I brought up the point was due to what kling stated in his first post:

This works pretty well for me

then later stated

Seams I'm doing it all wrong then...

The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.

As for the idealized stroke in golf, I would apply the same argument - whatever works for the individual. Just look at the swings of some of the all time greats like Arnold Palmer and Lee Travino - technically disasterous by the so called idealized stroke yet they produced amazing results.
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:16 pm

well, the first post replies will appear skewed since the original post said "anhyzer" instead of "hyzer"

as for the whatever works part of it...
disc golf differs from ball golf in that it is your entire body performing the stroke rather than using an extension of the body like a golf club, baseball bat, tennis racket, etc.

what you will find is that disc golf is most similar to pitching and many track & field events such as javelin, shotput, discus, etc.

in those events, you will find that there is a greater focus on fundamentals of mechanics as there is a greater chance of injury and limited ways to get the greatest kinetic energy.

what i have found over the past year or so is that a good chunk of the high end pros that have flawed techniques are now starting to get injured due to their throwing styles that if continued, will affect their longevity in the sport.

working or not working, i would never condone putting this kind of strain on the ankle:
Blake_T

Postby presidio hills » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:07 am

is that rico? it definitely does look straining.

this is an interesting discussion goob and blake. one thing i'm curious about is what's up with jay reading's style? does his weird reachback cause him to do last second compensation on the pull through? do his shoulders stay on the right plane? i wonder if as disc golf progresses there will be only a few distinct styles based on body height and girth... or something along those lines.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:39 am

Goob The Noob wrote:The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.

That only applies if you want to maintain the quality you are at. If you want to improve, you have to continue to assume it's broken and needs fixing, no matter what "it" is. It's the only way to make progress.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Goob The Noob » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:04 pm

garublador wrote:That only applies if you want to maintain the quality you are at. If you want to improve, you have to continue to assume it's broken and needs fixing, no matter what "it" is. It's the only way to make progress.

Not necessarily. Improvement can come from many areas that don't involve changing your technique - increased fitness, improved mental health and of course practice practice practice.
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby Mark Brunner » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:09 pm

I believe its most dependent on what level you want to be at, where you will be satisifed with. Personally I will always strive to improve. Set very high nearly unreachable goals for yourself, and set thousands of tiny goals along the way that will prove as stepping stones along your path. You can stop whenever you want or you can continue to the top.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Technique