headwind drivers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

headwind drivers

Postby Smyith » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:40 pm

what makes a headwind driver a good headwind driver? not a specific disc but its shape.

i thinking it has something to do with dome shape, like flat or dome so on and so forth. and the rim design. is it necessarily the flight characteristics b/c it seems most people say the overstable discs are better headwind drives.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:52 am

That's a good question I've always wondered that myself. My wind disc is the Pro Firebird. I did an experiemtn the one day it was hella windy, and I foudn that the Pro Firebird was the best for me, next was a champ Firebird, then a champ monster. All the other discs I tried got smacked down or went way off course. So I wondered the same thing you just asked, why do these 3 discs go??? :?

Hope someone has an answer. :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

headwind drivers

Postby twmccoy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:03 am

For me, a good headwind driver must be able to cut through the wind for decent distance and not flip over when thrown hard. That said, there are few discs that fit this category. Here are my favorite headwind discs

1: Flick- I can rip this disc hard into the wind and it will fly flat and knife right through the wind.

2: CFR Wraith- This disc is overstable enough it can handle being ripped into a headwind. Great distance.

3: Predator- More overstable than either of the others, this one can survive strong winds.

4: Avenger- This disc does great in moderate headwinds. It loses some distance but holds a nice line. Strong winds will flip it though.

Interestingly, all these discs have different domes and rim widths/shapes. However, I find that the flat topped discs (monster, flick, firebird) seem to be the most overstable.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:36 am

rim configuration = #1 importance in achieving stability/overstability.

generally rim slope and width have some say, beads/notches have some say, etc.

profile is #2 in importance. higher dome = greater drag force.

various aspects of design affect high speed stability, while others affect low speed predictability.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby presidio hills » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:18 pm

discs that can really hold a straight line without turning over usually work best for headwinds. i've found that although things like orcs, wraiths, etc... are relatively overstable, they don't work as good in headwinds as discs like the teebird or eagle, which are relatively stable. orcs, wraiths, and many other current drivers achieve their overstability with thick rims and not rim design (with stabalizing elements). firebirds have good rim design for headwinds, and not the thickest rim. i've been throwing a beat up DX eagle into stiff but not rediculous headwinds and it's working awsome. a champion orc into the same wind would turn a bunch and come back... the eagle just goes straight forever (95% of its flight?), then fades a little.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:25 pm

the thing about what youre saying about orcs and wraiths being worse in the wind than eagles or teebirds I agree, but this is because orcs and wraiths are not high speed overstable or even that stable, theyre just low speed stable.

Throwing into a headwind adds relative speed to the disc, simulating faster movement of the disc. Orcs and Wraiths are made to turn at high speeds to get more glide, but be low speed overstable to ensure It will gradually come back at the end.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Longshanks » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:59 pm

I think the key to a good headwind driver is low glide. The greater glide a disc has the more affected it will be by the wind. I believe that this is why the Wraith is touchy in a strong headwind. In my experience a flatter disc that is overstable, like the Flick, is much more predictable.
Longshanks
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:01 pm

The wraith does okay in the wind, but it does have a chance of getting flipped and not coming back though on occasions i throw it hoping it does flip and fights its way back: sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt.

I am using my z avenger into moderate HW and step up to a z predator for crazy HW. I would never throw the wraith into 35+ mph wind.

I have to ask about the flick though. I've thrown but never owned one. I know it's crazy overstable but didn't find a need for one.

Do I need a flick if I have a predator? Also what is the difference between the 150 and regular flicks? I hope that's not a dumb question.

Examples for those that throw them are appreciated. I see it used as a sidearm driver alot.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

flick

Postby twmccoy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:44 pm

The flick is not as crazy overstable as you may think. If you have a decent arm, you can throw this thing flat in calm conditions and have it stay flat for about 400'. It will then drop hard and left without fail at the end of its flight. Of the popular overstable discs out there, this one is the least overstable. I can also crank the flick out a lot farther than the predator as well since it is faster and less overstable. I also found that the heavier flicks are better than the 150's. the 150's are squirly and just feel too light. The heavier ones have the mass needed to cut through tough winds.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:23 pm

If anything the 150 class ones have seemed more overstable to me, or they at least fade later. They seem to thin the flight plate on the 150 class ones which means more relative weight on the rim. The 166 Im throwing now for thumbers and other trick shots (mostly because its more comfortable than the pred which tears up my thumb on thumbers, not to mention the flick sticks best when it hits and wont roll much)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby garublador » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:10 am

TexasOutlaw wrote: Also what is the difference between the 150 and regular flicks? I hope that's not a dumb question.

In case you hadn't figured it out from the other two posters, the 150 is a 150g-class Flick and the regular Flicks are heavier weights.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Fritz » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:41 am

So, I'm thinking about getting one of those Star TeeRex from Innova to try out in the wind. Anyone else get one yet and try it or is it still too new ?
Zone Driven has em and they are on the front page of Innovas Site.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:29 pm

garublador wrote:
TexasOutlaw wrote: Also what is the difference between the 150 and regular flicks? I hope that's not a dumb question.

In case you hadn't figured it out from the other two posters, the 150 is a 150g-class Flick and the regular Flicks are heavier weights.

Gee thanks. I've been told from some players that there is significant differences. I know the 150 came out first; I also know that they feel heavier than 150 (at least to me).

Anyone else have any input? I do prefer lighter discs than most people but have never really cared for the 150 class as I cannot control them.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:34 pm

the 150 class flicks are vrey controlable for 150 class discs.
The flick is probably the only disc Ive thrown that's stability dosnt change much from 150 class to max. (unless you have one of the 150 runs thats MORE overstable than the rest)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

flicks

Postby twmccoy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:38 pm

I actually prefer the heavier flicks. I find the 150's to actually be more overstable than their heavier counterparts. Besides, I like the disc having a little weight in my hand. A 150 flick feels like a paper plate.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Equipment