Re: New Bag Company - Grip Equipment

Postby Eric O » Fri May 28, 2010 10:28 am

booter wrote: That rainfly makes fade gears rainfly look like a trash bag
so does an actual trash bag...
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jnecessary » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:41 am

I'm on the list too and can't wait to buy one, would like to see about 1 million up close pics of the bag though. The only reservation I have is the lack of a cage in the bottom. We'll see how that goes, but I can't wait to throw money at that sweet bag!
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:09 am

jnecessary wrote:I'm on the list too and can't wait to buy one, would like to see about 1 million up close pics of the bag though. The only reservation I have is the lack of a cage in the bottom. We'll see how that goes, but I can't wait to throw money at that sweet bag!

I have the same concern. One of the nice things about a cage is that it doesn't let your discs move up and down while in the bag. When I take the cage out of my Revo bag I notice the stamps on my discs see a little more wear than normal because of this. I want in on this wait list too, I'll gladly throw my money at Justin. Just waiting for him to let me know when.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Eric O » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:05 am

jnecessary wrote:I'm on the list too and can't wait to buy one, would like to see about 1 million up close pics of the bag though. The only reservation I have is the lack of a cage in the bottom. We'll see how that goes, but I can't wait to throw money at that sweet bag!
I hear you about more photos. I did get a little bit of a look this weekend at the beaver state fling though, and liked what I saw.

As for the cage, I think going without one is the way to go. I've had a run with most of the reputable disc bags and none comes close to the comfort and simplicity of the frameless design of the phenix bags.

Jeronimo wrote:One of the nice things about a cage is that it doesn't let your discs move up and down while in the bag. When I take the cage out of my Revo bag I notice the stamps on my discs see a little more wear than normal because of this.
Probably because it's designed for use with the cage in place. This doesn't seem to be an issue with bags like the phenix where the discs are meant to be stored without any frame in place. From what I've seen of the Grip backpack the discs rest snugly in their housing so I wouldn't expect it to be a problem. My concern is more related to whether it will hold all the rest of my crap other than discs without being a pita.

Anyway, like the rest of you I am looking forward to seeing one of these arrive at my doorstep sometime soon. I might wait on the smaller disc capacity model though, we'll see how the timeline looks.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jsun3thousand » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:16 am

Jeronimo wrote:

I have the same concern. One of the nice things about a cage is that it doesn't let your discs move up and down while in the bag. When I take the cage out of my Revo bag I notice the stamps on my discs see a little more wear than normal because of this. I want in on this wait list too, I'll gladly throw my money at Justin. Just waiting for him to let me know when.

It doesn't need a cage. I talked to Justin about a roll cage when I saw an early proto. He said that he wanted to keep as much unnecessary plastic and non-environment-friendly products out of the bag as possible. He said there was ways around keeping a plastic cage out of the bag and he found a way. Outside of being a serious disc golfer and a smart designer, Justin has a design philosophy that considers the environmental impact of his designs. Justin designed this bag to not fatigue disc golfers or the environment.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:26 am

Eric O wrote:As for the cage, I think going without one is the way to go. I've had a run with most of the reputable disc bags and none comes close to the comfort and simplicity of the frameless design of the phenix bags.

The Phenix bags are kind of an anomaly though, since the Line-X kind of functions as a frame itself. I totally agree that the frameless design works well there, but I wonder if it'd be so great without the Line-X? On a couple of occasions, I've carried discs in my old frameless PDGA bag, and Revo Mini sans plastic thingy (dunno if that can really qualify as a "frame"), and those were noticeably worse than my other bags I've had with frames.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:06 pm

I'd buy it just to support Justin...good guy, seems to have the right idea in mind for how to design a good disc golf bag. Big plus getting a company already established in making niche bags to help out with the logistics.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:06 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:
Eric O wrote:As for the cage, I think going without one is the way to go. I've had a run with most of the reputable disc bags and none comes close to the comfort and simplicity of the frameless design of the phenix bags.

The Phenix bags are kind of an anomaly though, since the Line-X kind of functions as a frame itself. I totally agree that the frameless design works well there, but I wonder if it'd be so great without the Line-X? On a couple of occasions, I've carried discs in my old frameless PDGA bag, and Revo Mini sans plastic thingy (dunno if that can really qualify as a "frame"), and those were noticeably worse than my other bags I've had with frames.

the Phenix bags can be bought sans LineX, my buddy has one and it seems to do just fine
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Unity » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:05 am

Dang this bag looks sick. I saw the thread a few days back but couldn't see it because my work blocks all things FB. I kept forgetting to look at home so I decided to go around the proxy today. I'm pretty impressed with the way they look. I'll give the pictures a little better inspection when I get home tonight, but I'll probably get an email out to Justin by the end of the night.
[Ion] [Zone] [Fuse] [Buzzz] [XXX] [PD] [Destroyer]
Unity
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby jnecessary » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:06 pm

just got notice that I can pre-order now :)

Bags should be arriving late July/early August.
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby stoneman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Me too. I'm just not sure I want to drop that kind of cash on something without an engine...or at least wheels :D
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:31 pm

I was interested in pre-ordering one of these. How much can it be? I'm curious after the last comment. If no one wants to state the price in the thread could someone please pm me? I've been in the market for a new bag for a while so I'd really appreciate the info. Thanks.
Challengers-Rocs-FLX Drones-Teebirds-Wraiths-Destroyers
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pumpkin Rocs

Postby Booter » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:32 pm

theres no set price yet. its in the 160ish range.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby jnecessary » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:00 pm

booter wrote:theres no set price yet. its in the 160ish range.

Add $10 for shipping and you got it. A bit steep in price, I agree. But...I love stuff.
--My PDGA--My Trade List
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby mobster » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:43 pm

I do like that fact that it has a lifetime warranty, hence I pre-ordered one today.
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment